Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 107   Go Down

Author Topic: The American Constitution  (Read 119438 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: The American Constitution
« Reply #860 on: June 26, 2019, 04:07:46 pm »

You did all of that for 48K ???????  Wow.  We're doing the same right now and the painting bid was 13.5k alone. (Joe's not kidding about paint, y'all)

Well, my wife and I are both photographers, not stock brokers, so we had to do some of the work ourselves to stay within budget.  This is included removing the wallpaper (every wall had wallpaper on it) and painting ourselves.  Thankfully we have plaster walls, which can be steamed to hell and back and not really be effected.  I (personally) also demoed the kitchen to the baring walls and joists, installed a new subfloor, new framing, walls, new finished floor and tile backsplash.  (Although I am fairly good at carpentry, I knew enough to have a professional hang the cabinets and hired that out.)  Our kitchen is also only 12x12 feet, so the cost of my raw materials was not too high and we did not get custom cabinets.  (I did have one of my clients price custom cabinets out; they alone would have cost about the same as what we spent entirely and decided ... next house.)  We also got a crazy 40% discount on KitchenAid appliances from an in-law through a work perk, which helped out as well.  Along with this, I choose to repair all of the lath and plaster in the holes left by the electricians. 

Although we did go all in on the rewiring (had knob & tube previously), only major plumbing was replaced, namely the stack, sanitary "T," kitchen drain line.  We also had three radiator lines, both kitchen water lines and the kitchen gas line moved, and the kitchen sink vent repaired.  So it was not every pipe in the house, just the major ones and some of the radiator lines.  We have a row house with flat roofs, which are cheaper to replace then angled roofs, so the foyer roof was only $1500 to replace.  Also, our floors were in good shape, so we only had them buffed with one new coat, not sanded down to bare wood and then three layers added on.  This saved a good deal as well. 

I figure if we had hired everything out, we would have probably spent another $35K to $40K on additional labor, which we would not have had after the above expenses and the down payment, so there was really no option but to do it ourselves.  Although a fairly involved project that I realize most would not have taken on, my wife and I don't get daunted easily, and after what we saw was available on the market, especially with the kitchens, we decided this was the best option for us. 

Aside from the paint, another object that surprised me was the cost of new radiators.  We removed the kitchen wall to the dining room and choose to replace the old cast iron radiator with thinner modern Hudson Reed one, which I had noticed on projects I have photographed in NYC.  The new radiator was $700; I was floored when I saw this.  Radiators are damn expensive. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:12:49 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #861 on: June 26, 2019, 04:24:43 pm »

Joe, Good luck on your renovations.  I'm sure they look great when you're all done.  Are you doing anything for photography?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2019, 08:13:36 am »

Not sure if I will ever get around to photographing my kitchen like I do professionally with other projects.  Not that I dont like my kitchen, but I have literally photographed $1M kitchens, so an image of my meager project is not going to really impress a client or perspective client.  So what is the point to put a few hours of effort into the image.  But here a few pics taken with my cell phone from start to finish. 

I am not completely done yet.  I have some touch ups with the backsplash, still need to finish the baseboards and add the shoe & top molding and figure our something for the threshold of the door. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2019, 08:20:52 am »

Good job Joe,  At my age, doing renovations would drive me crazy and be a real physical strain.  That's funny.  Because being in construction when I worked, and managing it, you'd think I'd like doing it for myself.  Meanwhile, I ordered a custom wall unit - desk/cabinet.  The furniture maker was suppose to deliver it last November!!!.  And he's holding 1/3 of $ as deposit.  I want to shoot him.  I've run out of threats.   He keeps promising. Sound familiar? 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #864 on: June 27, 2019, 09:35:07 am »

Good job Joe,  At my age, doing renovations would drive me crazy and be a real physical strain.  That's funny.  Because being in construction when I worked, and managing it, you'd think I'd like doing it for myself.  Meanwhile, I ordered a custom wall unit - desk/cabinet.  The furniture maker was suppose to deliver it last November!!!.  And he's holding 1/3 of $ as deposit.  I want to shoot him.  I've run out of threats.   He keeps promising. Sound familiar?
I didn't know a Trump owned a custom cabinet company.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #865 on: June 27, 2019, 09:50:28 am »

;D ;D ;D

JoeKitchen

« Reply #866 on: June 27, 2019, 09:56:04 am »

I did not have anything like this happen.  However the delivery man who delivered my oven rolled it off of the truck and bent all of the knobs.  So I had to refuse delivery and have another one sent; I was without an oven for about a month.  I also order the standard wine refrigerator, which had the handle on the left side, assuming that you could switch the orientation, like nearly every other refrigerator on the market.  This was not the case, but it was really my fault for not reading the fine print.  Fortunately KitchenAid was great to deal with and they took care of this for me. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #867 on: June 27, 2019, 10:08:13 am »

Actually, Trump would not have put up with my cabinet maker.  He would have already fired and sued him.  When Trump builds, he pushes to get them done on time.  When you build real estate, you want to start collecting rent money to pay the bank off who's always on your back.  The quicker you get the job done, the quicker you can do that.  Time means money.  Most construction jobs of any size are contracted out with LD's (Liquidated Damages).  There's a completion date.  If the contractor misses it due to his delays, he has to pay the building owner damages for every day he's late.  For example, let's say the LD damages are $1000/ day.  If the contractor is late 30 days, he gets $30,000 taken off his contract. That's a big incentive to get the work done on time.    Additionally, the building owner may have the right to hire additional workers who don't work for the contractor and back bill the contractor for that labor. 

The story that Trump is known for is the NYC Wollman ice skating rink in Central Park.   He made his bones and became a NYC icon builder because of it.  He became the "can-do" builder that helped get him into the White House.

"Donald J. Trump refurbished the Central Park -skating rink two and a half months ahead of his own speedy six-month schedule and $750,000 below his own projected $3 million budget, having taken over the project after the city spent six years and $12 million unsuccessfully trying to get the job done."

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/15/nyregion/about-new-york-pssst-here-s-a-secret-trump-rebuilds-ice-rink.html

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #868 on: June 27, 2019, 11:26:55 am »

On topic,  the Supremes decided by 5-4 that Federal courts have no role on adjudicating Gerrymandered Congressional districts.   The majority more or less involved the "Originalist Doctrine" in the ruling written by Chief Justice Roberts.   I guess this means that the equal protection clause and one person over vote are no longer applicable.   I wonder if this court would have taken Brown v Board of Education or maybe they would have let Plessy v Ferguson stand.

It's likely we will begin seeing some interesting court decisions in the coming years.   It's quite telling that many nominees from President Trump are refusing to comment on the standing of the Brown decision.   Lots of stuff to ponder for Constitutional Law scholars.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #869 on: June 27, 2019, 12:07:43 pm »

On topic,  the Supremes decided by 5-4 that Federal courts have no role on adjudicating Gerrymandered Congressional districts.   The majority more or less involved the "Originalist Doctrine" in the ruling written by Chief Justice Roberts.   I guess this means that the equal protection clause and one person over vote are no longer applicable.   I wonder if this court would have taken Brown v Board of Education or maybe they would have let Plessy v Ferguson stand.

It's likely we will begin seeing some interesting court decisions in the coming years.   It's quite telling that many nominees from President Trump are refusing to comment on the standing of the Brown decision.   Lots of stuff to ponder for Constitutional Law scholars.
Roberts voted with the conservatives in this one but with the liberals on not allowing citizenship question on the census. Roberts is swinging both ways and trying to preserve the Court before the Democrats pack it with more liberal justices.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #870 on: June 27, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »

Allen, is this in reference to the recent Delegates v. Bethune-Hill ruling where two Trump appointees surprised us and sided with the liberals, essentially giving the Dems a win in Virginia? 

Rob C

« Reply #871 on: June 27, 2019, 12:40:29 pm »

For a brief moment my heart rose, and I dreamed of a transition to a musical theme for a couple of posts. Sadly, my optimism was greater than where I'd placed it.

;-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #872 on: June 27, 2019, 01:12:10 pm »

For a brief moment my heart rose, and I dreamed of a transition to a musical theme for a couple of posts. Sadly, my optimism was greater than where I'd placed it.

;-)

Motown rules.
--
Robert

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #873 on: June 27, 2019, 02:24:04 pm »

Allen, is this in reference to the recent Delegates v. Bethune-Hill ruling where two Trump appointees surprised us and sided with the liberals, essentially giving the Dems a win in Virginia?
No that was a different case and involved state districts.  This one was Congressional districts, Maryland and North Carolina IIRC.  It's really complicated and highlights the problem with originalism.  My personal view is Gerrymandering is evil and my home state of Maryland is to blame.  States will now have. To decide whether to vote for independent commissions as a number have done.  I think this decision violate the equal protection clause but the court felt differently.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2019, 02:31:19 pm »

;-)

I thought about it too, and this is what I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9poCAuYT-s

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #875 on: June 27, 2019, 03:02:22 pm »

No that was a different case and involved state districts.  This one was Congressional districts, Maryland and North Carolina IIRC.  It's really complicated and highlights the problem with originalism.  My personal view is Gerrymandering is evil and my home state of Maryland is to blame.  States will now have. To decide whether to vote for independent commissions as a number have done.  I think this decision violate the equal protection clause but the court felt differently.

I don;t think the court knows what do to about it.  It's been going on for 200 years.  First One party takes over State government and draws district lines to help its party.  So the court says no good.  Redraw.  So they redraw.  Then when the other party takes over state government, they redraw the lines to fit their party.  And then the federal court is called in again to referee.  I think the US Supreme Court is just tired of being a party to the games.  Let the states deal with these state issues.  If the state supreme court thinks there's a violation of their state's constitution, and their state residents' voting rights are being violated, then they can rule on it if they want and correct the lines.  Just keep the feds out of it.  In any case, the feds made it a state rights issue.  Now leave them alone with this silly nonsense.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #876 on: June 27, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »

Just saw this wright up.  I have mixed feelings on the decision and not sure which side I would agree with. 

As a principle I am a stanch supporter of state's rights and the 10th amendment.  However, not for the conservative reasoning of we don't want a federal government running things.  I am more pragmatic and feel it is impossible for a single government to govern a large swath of land with varying cultures effectively over the long run and doing so will eventual cause a revolution.  Look at Ancient Greece, Rome, the Persian Empire, Ottoman Empire, French Empire, British Empire (admittedly they were much more benevolent), what is unfolding with Brexit (right or wrong).  Strong central governments eventually helped lead to their demise, albeit with additional reasons too.  I see no reason why this would not happen to the USA as well if the federal government got strong enough. 

So it is reassuring that this is staying in the States. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:22:06 pm by JoeKitchen »

Rob C

« Reply #877 on: June 27, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »

Just saw this wright up.  I have mixed feelings on the decision and not sure which side I would agree with. 

As a principle I am a stanch supporter of state's rights and the 10th amendment.  However, not for the conservative reasoning of we don't want a federal government running things.  I am more pragmatic and feel it is impossible for a single government to govern a large swath of land with varying cultures effectively over the long run and doing so will eventual cause a revolution.  Look at Ancient Greece, Rome, the Persian Empire, Ottoman Empire, French Empire, British Empire (admittedly they were much more benevolent), what is unfolding with Brexit (right or wrong).  Strong central governments eventually helped lead to their demise, albeit with additional reasons too.  I see no reason why this would not happen to the USA as well if the federal government got strong enough. 

So it is reassuring that this is staying in the States.

I would have interpreted it in quite the opposite manner. States (within a single country) having different laws is nuts to me.

A common legal system has little to do with different cultures within the same country. If you extrapolate in the British case, you'd have had sharia law decades ago in some towns and the certitude of that increasing in proportion to birth rates. I wonder what the good folks of France would think...

Either you are a country of equal rights and a common legal system or you are a loose federation wide open to departures. That's part of the cause of Scottish Nationalism: it has a lot of its own, different laws, and that tempts further distancings to seem sensible courses to some.

Not all countries want to be that closely tied together; fears of a federal Europe scare some countries out of their pants, and in that particular case, I agree that it would be an ill-matched bundle of tribes that could never hold that close a relationship for all sorts of historical and ethnic reasons.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »

... States (within a single country) having different laws is nuts to me...

The US is not a single country, it is a federation.

Rob C

« Reply #879 on: June 27, 2019, 05:12:48 pm »

The US is not a single country, it is a federation.

Interesting. Does everyone singing the national song and flying the ubiquitous flag know they are not really doing that at all? Maybe the flyers of Dixie know/knew.

No wonder folks find it hard to come to stable deals with it these days: who the hell do they have that speaks with the collective voice, with whom other countries can negotiate with confidence? Bad idea. You need a new constitution that throws such confusions into the distant past.

Loose means the wheels can fly right off!

But hey, aren't we speaking of the USSR?

:-)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 107   Go Up