Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Canon 50mm 1.8 lens  (Read 3911 times)

willie45

Problems with Canon 50mm 1.8 lens
« on: November 11, 2006, 07:36:46 pm »

Hi

I bought the above lens recently and was very happy with it. Seemed like fantastice value for money, but now I am wondering if the particluar lens I have is defective. I took some shots of woodland yesterday and after loading them onto my pc I noticed a distinct purple tinge to shadow areas in the bark of tree trunks. I don't believe this is natural and wonder if this is likely to be a fault with the lens. I suppose I will just exchange it but in the meantime I wondered if anyone had heard of such a fault before.

Other pictures I have taken with the lens seem fine and this makes me slightly puzzled,

Willie

giles

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 07:43:25 pm »

I suggest you post an example with some details about how you took it (camera, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and how you post processed it).  Without any information, it's guesswork.

Giles

willie45

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 07:59:03 pm »

quote=giles,Nov 11 2006, 07:43 PM]I suggest you post an example with some details about how you took it (camera, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, and how you post processed it).  Without any information, it's guesswork.

Giles
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Thanks Giles, I will attempt to do so but I have to admit I am pretty inexperienced at this sort of thing.

[attachment=1181:attachment]

I used a Canon 20D shot it in RAW and converted in Adobe Convertor and saved as a JPEG. This particular shot was 1/60 at f4

Hope this has worked and makes sense

Willie
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:59:35 pm by willie45 »

giles

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:30:18 am »

I suspect the white balance chosen during the raw conversion wasn't optimal, is all.  I don't think the lens is to blame.

While I don't know what the "real" scene looked like, some adjustment of the colour balance in Photoshop produced this:

Try doing the raw conversion again, but experiment with the white balance and see how you do.

Cheers,

Giles

willie45

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:18:15 pm »

Thanks Giles

I have today tried several shots in similar conditions and with different lenses. The colouration is present in all  of them. I haven't been able, satisfactorily, to completely rid the images of it in RAW conversion but I can mitigate them.

At least I know it's not the lens and can now spend some time finding a work around.

Thanks again

Willie

francois

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 03:21:21 am »

Thanks Giles

I have today tried several shots in similar conditions and with different lenses. The colouration is present in all  of them. I haven't been able, satisfactorily, to completely rid the images of it in RAW conversion but I can mitigate them.

At least I know it's not the lens and can now spend some time finding a work around.

Thanks again

Willie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84854\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Willie,
Try a different RAW converter to see if you get rid of the issue.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:22:07 am by francois »
Francois

willie45

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 10:49:54 am »

Willie,
Try a different RAW converter to see if you get rid of the issue.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84895\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Francois,

I have tried this in both Adobe Camera Raw and Capture One LE with similar results. I am inclined to put it down to experience and take more care with my white balance including adjusting it manually in such circumstances, as hinted at by Jeff.

Thanks for your reply

Willie

francois

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:24 pm »

Hi Francois,

I have tried this in both Adobe Camera Raw and Capture One LE with similar results. I am inclined to put it down to experience and take more care with my white balance including adjusting it manually in such circumstances, as hinted at by Jeff.

Thanks for your reply

Willie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
One last easy thing you can try is to use a grey card like a WhiBal to see if it improves or fix your issue.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up