Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art Occludes Life  (Read 1039 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Art Occludes Life
« on: May 25, 2019, 04:03:23 pm »

Museum of Modern Art, New York
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 08:13:18 pm by Chris Kern »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
Re: Art Occludes Life
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 04:50:56 am »

Excellent.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 06:59:13 am »

The shot does wonders for the exhibit! Far better contextualised as you have made it.

I'd love an upper apartment in that building across the street; so convenient for the shopping...

:-)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 07:39:48 am »

The shot does wonders for the exhibit! Far better contextualised as you have made it.

I'd love an upper apartment in that building across the street; so convenient for the shopping...

Great Image...

I had a friend many years ago that lived in that building on E 54th St. He was in media sales for the ABC network.  What a great apartment he had there. He too, knew how to throw a PARTY...

Peter
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 07:50:46 am by petermfiore »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 08:13:55 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 02:04:53 pm »

... I'd love an upper apartment in that building across the street...

There is indeed something special about those buildings across from MOMA. They caught my attention too. Then the picture I took caught the attention of Popular Photography editors, and they interviewed me about it. Small world, Chris :)

Popular Photography on Campus - April 2016 by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 02:40:07 pm »

The attraction is pretty obvious: they are not concrete blocks nor are they glass cubes or molten mistakes. They have that olde worlde thing called character, and give the impression of having been designed or even constructed off the cuff, as the builder looked for whatever materials he wanted to offload at the time. You don't much get that anymore, I suppose, everything mass produced and costed down to that, with a payola priced in somewhere to keep the fathers sweet. We could consult the ginger man when he gets back from his big meal across the seas - he's sure to be able to enlighten us.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 03:20:18 pm »

There is indeed something special about those buildings across from MOMA. They caught my attention too.

The attraction is pretty obvious: they are not concrete blocks nor are they glass cubes or molten mistakes. They have that olde worlde thing called character . . .

Indeed.  They have character, proportion, and a timeless appeal.  And the afternoon my wife and I were at the museum, many of the other visitors to that gallery, apparently as unimpressed as I was with the "kinetic art" displayed on the big screens, also were drawn to that window.  After snapping the woman snapping the buildings across the street, I wandered over to a museum guard who was monitoring that gallery—a bored old guy of my vintage—and observed that the view out the window seemed to attract more attention than the art on display in the room.  "It's always like that," he said.  "In our day, nobody would have considered the stuff on those screens to be art," he told me, "now, anything goes."

For the rest of the afternoon, I couldn't get the old Cole Porter tune out of my head.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 06:56:32 am »

It's a bit sad that MoMA hosts this stuff, but then I guess it goes with the legend on the tin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up