Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billing for additional architectural image usage rights  (Read 1585 times)

mshea

Billing for additional architectural image usage rights
« on: May 24, 2019, 09:49:39 am »

I recently finished up shooting various interiors at a large commercial office building park. The architectural firm that hired me will include my fee with theirs. One of the other partners in the project, a development firm, will want usage rights to all the shots, and the architects want that fee included in my invoice. I've rarely had another party want to purchase rights; just a flooring/tile company in one case. Is there a standard rate or percentage in the industry for downstream usage such as this? There are 45 shots, and the rights would be non-transferable.

Thanks,
Merrill

DCW

Re: Billing for additional architectural image usage rights
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:58:20 pm »

Typically you'd add 30-40 % to original quote and then have both parties split the cost. Make sure 2nd party understands usage.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:29:18 pm »

Typically you'd add 30-40 % to original quote and then have both parties split the cost. Make sure 2nd party understands usage.
This normally only applies to multiparty commissions, not to parties wanting to purchase usage rights after the photos have been produced. However, if you have not yet invoiced the commissioning client and the additional party wants to use all the photos, I guess it would make sense to apply this method here, since it will save your client some money and thus earn points with them. This assumes that the usage terms for the additional party will be similar to those for the commissioning client.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 02:40:55 pm »

It depends.  If all the parties are involved from the beginning I work out an additional fee that gets wrapped into the total price and everyone splits the cost.  Cheaper overall for everyone compared to one party buying the full shoot.

If a party asks later, I give them a direct price for licensing based on what they need.  Often it is a sub contractor, or someone leasing a space, etc... that ends up only wanting like 2 or 3 I Agar out of a much larger delivery.  I license for a specific cost just for those based on their usage.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:48:38 am »

I would just make the original contract give all rights and original files to the client, charging more of course, then you are free of fretting about this sort of crap. Make sure you keep rights to use the images for your own promotion.

mshea

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 10:34:00 am »

Yes, I've been informed that the overall costs will be shared by the architectural firm and the development company. So I'll be adding a percentage to my basic fee.

Thanks a lot for your opinions!
Merrill
Pages: [1]   Go Up