Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DF+ body on location  (Read 924 times)

Endeavour

DF+ body on location
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:04:28 pm »

I'm nearing the end of my quest to upgrade my MF system, but it involves handing over my Hasselblad H body & P back  to be replaced with a DF+ and an IQ350

Now I know its not an XF with all the bells, whistles and improvements that come with that body - but is there anything I should be aware of regarding the DF+ when shooting landscapes on location?

I can see me being a mix of tethered and untethered (using either a macbook or surface pro)

If all goes well, I will be adding a tech camera at some future point (probably an actus) but for now I'll be sticking with the DF+

just thought I'd ask about real world experiences of using the DF+ out in the field

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
Re: DF+ body on location
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 12:34:41 pm »

Hi Endeavour
I like the DF+ and still have one as a back up camera.
I suggest to use it with the Li-Ion battery.
With the 6 NiMH batteries you can have problems with the shutter and slower AF.
Regards,
Ben

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 03:39:32 pm »

Hi Endeavour
I like the DF+ and still have one as a back up camera.
I suggest to use it with the Li-Ion battery.
With the 6 NiMH batteries you can have problems with the shutter and slower AF.
Regards,
Ben

+1

Once we adopted the lithium batteries, we saw a significant decrease in quirky behavior with the DF/DF+ bodies. We actually sourced these through Ejji before Phase One did. They were branded as 10k batteries, so we brought some in, tested them on an AFD II body, got through 7,000 frames, the shutter died, tried on another body and got another 2,000 frames and the battery display had not moved much, so we called it a day pretty confident that the 10k number was not an exaggeration. But more so, the connection is so much more solid compared to the flimsy AA battery holder that could literally fall apart in your hands if you don't hold it right.

Go for a DF+ rather than a DF if you can, as the mirror will automatically raise up when using live view.

There is an option for electronic remote release that attaches to the 8 pin side port, but also a standard release cable (like for view camera) can be used with the primary release button (it is threaded).

And, we still have a few of our classic CI Running Man Bips for DF/DF+ left!

CI Classic Original Running Man Bip

Steve Hendrix/CI

Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Christoph B.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:44:09 pm »

I agree with Steve, the DF+ is certainly the better camera compared to the DF and Li-Ion is the way to go.

A few things I've noted with the DF+ and landscapes:

- The viewfinder is "okay" but you really really need to use either the liveview on your back or get the Mamiya focusing screen "Type C" which will greatly improve your ability to see what actually is in focus and you can also use manual focus with that.
- Mirror slap is kind of an issue sometimes, I'd say try to avoid 1/10 - 1/30 even on fairly good tripods and even with mirror-lockup. Remember that with certain lenses you don't have the leaf shutter ability and the focal plane shutter also introduces vibrations.
- The AF is okay but you only have a center point. So be prepared to focus&reposition the camera if you want to use AF.
- If you experience camera lockups while using a leaf shutter lens, the battery in your body might be weak(ish) and you should get a newer one.
- With Capture One you'll be able to create LCC corrections. Do it! It will make your life better. I'm serious!

Last but not least: If you really only want to use it for landscapes you could also consider going with an ALPA system.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 06:44:13 pm »

I'm nearing the end of my quest to upgrade my MF system, but it involves handing over my Hasselblad H body & P back  to be replaced with a DF+ and an IQ350
Or for probably about a third of the price, size, vibration and weight you could get an X1D or whatever comes next and use all of your existing lenses plus Canon Tilt Shift (:-)
I loved my H4D but it is a steam engine now.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 07:16:21 am »

thanks for the comments.

Is it possible to remap the focus to a back button?  I hate the half press shutter release method of focusing

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:27:45 am »

thanks for the comments.

Is it possible to remap the focus to a back button?  I hate the half press shutter release method of focusing

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Search/Article?articleid=1251

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:20:39 pm »

thanks for the comments everyone
I picked up my DF+ with IQ350 - very happy so far

What I am not so happy about, is that it didnt come with the li-ion battery, which is an eye watering $900 (2 batteries & charger)

that's not very funny :(

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 05:21:32 pm »

thanks for the comments everyone
I picked up my DF+ with IQ350 - very happy so far

What I am not so happy about, is that it didnt come with the li-ion battery, which is an eye watering $900 (2 batteries & charger)

that's not very funny :(

I bought it here. It was lot cheaper: https://www.ebay.ch/itm/PhaseOne-645-Li-Ion-Battery-Kit-fur-die-PhaseOne-645DF-DF-und-Mamiya-645-AFD/202644031689?hash=item2f2e8688c9:g:uBcAAOSww9xZIwom
This seller is great. Everything was fast and perfect.
Regards,
Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up