Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Photographs: Tourist Locations  (Read 2192 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Creative Photographs: Tourist Locations
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:49 pm »

Very nice essay and photographic transformations. A man after my own heart. I always said that reality is overrated.  ;)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Re: Creative Photographs: Tourist Locations
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:12:33 pm »

The work is very appealing, and the before and after comparisons are very instructive.  Quite amazing how rather mundane files are transformed into etherial other-worldly results.  The original captures are obviously of high quality to allow so much manipulation without artifact.  I like how he removed all the street clutter that professional cyclists refer to as "furniture."  I would like to know more.

Larry451

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 07:13:15 pm »

reality is overrated [quote author=Slobodan Blagojevic   =  good one!
studying the old masters (painters) can do nothing but help most of us photographers as to light.
regards
Larry.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:22:07 am »

This is about as far from anything I admire as is possible to be.

Krug

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 10:48:23 am »

For my personal taste I agree with KLaban about these images and struggle to understand the why of them. Of course if  X wishes to do something like this I would defend strongly his/her right to do it without mock or censure - though not without question. However to my eye these are redolent of the rather melodramatic illustrations in Victorian books in my grandfathers library that I saw as a child which were in large part using (misusing ?) simplifications of the artifice of Rembrandt's generation for their effect. It is a truism about tastes and fashions evolving in circles so perhaps that is an explanation - and for those that like them I am glad that they enjoy them.

However it concerns me slightly as when I am asked by young aspiring photographers what they should do to improve their photography one of my stock responses is that they should go and sit in a good art gallery and really look - for perhaps 15-20 minutes - at something that they are instinctively drawn to, and then the same with something that they initially dislike and try to figure out the whats and the whys involved. My intention is that they will learn something about composition and the intention behind an image - and I think that all of the 'great' painters right up to the present day have much to teach all of us - after all there are centuries of learning in their work. But I would hope that they would see beyond the more superficial aspects of the 'style' of the image which is all that I can see in these images.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Internaut

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 07:28:01 am »

A re-run of the old pictorialism vs. straight photography debate?

Larry451

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 09:27:23 am »

I look at his manipulation with many different exposures of the light on the landscape/cityscape as interesting.  Take away the warm cast that give it the "old master" look and you have a 2019 image that "could" not look manipulated if done with a little less drama.  One thing for sure, like his work or not he does it well.
As to sending emerging photographers to gallerys I agree.    I also recommend art books(painters) not just photography books.  My personnel love of art books has drained my wallet but it has given me a library which I totally enjoy--- re-reading.
regards
Larry.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 11:54:38 am »

I was drawn to the work not for its use of photographic manipulation technique, but rather for its specific adherence to this idea of following an old masters approach, visually, and philosophically.

That, to me at least, seems unique. Not to mention,  the execution is sound. I’m not very excited by post effects unless there is a motivation to something beyond exaggeration, fantasy or bombast alone, even if those are fun.

I think seeing/photographing tourist attractions in a new way is an awesome thought. They’re not going away any time soon, barring disasters like the one we just saw. And they are attractions for a reason, occupying large spaces in peoples minds.
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Krug

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 11:19:32 am »

This comment is directed to Josh  as publisher/leader/owner of Lula - and it applies to this topic and the 'Butterfly Dreams' topic (for which, on my computer at least, the 'reply' button is no longer showing which I might assume to be , possibly justified, gentle 'editorial discretion').

Whilst personally I have not found either of these articles especially to my 'taste' I do hope that you will continue to pursue an editorial policy which is not merely what the readership thinks that it wants to see/hear. We all of us need to be challenged and your father's policy was always a personal one of leading and challenging (quietly and politely) rather than following norms and fashions.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 12:06:08 pm »

I do hope that you will continue to pursue an editorial policy which is not merely what the readership thinks that it wants to see/hear. We all of us need to be challenged and your father's policy was always a personal one of leading and challenging (quietly and politely) rather than following norms and fashions.

Thank you.
Yes, I’ve been trying to do just this. I’m sure that my approach tends to challenge some, annoy, bore or frustrate others, and hopefully keep an energy of open discovery and dialogue going. That’s the hope.
Appreciate the reminder and encouragement.
Josh

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 04:02:06 pm »

Josh, please do continue. 

The camera can be just a tool for the imagination much like a canvas is what an artist applies paint and brush to.  All photographic work need not reflect a strict view of "reality", whatever that is.

I really enjoy Maggie Taylor and Jerry Uelsmann who are two fine examples of photographic artists.
Regards,
Ron

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 07:06:34 pm »

Josh, please do continue. 

The camera can be just a tool for the imagination much like a canvas is what an artist applies paint and brush to.  All photographic work need not reflect a strict view of "reality", whatever that is.

I really enjoy Maggie Taylor and Jerry Uelsmann who are two fine examples of photographic artists.

Will explore them again.
And thank you!

J
Pages: [1]   Go Up