Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peak Design Travel Tripod  (Read 2003 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Peak Design Travel Tripod
« on: May 22, 2019, 12:07:02 pm »

I didn't see this posted anywhere but Peak Design have a Kickstarter campaign for a new very small travel tripod:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/travel-tripod-by-peak-design   It's fully funded but you can still get in on the discounted price for another month or so.  I'm interested in this and probably will get the carbon fiber model; it should be quite nice for vacation stuff when I really wish I had a tripod with me.

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Peak Design Travel Tripod
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:21:53 pm »

There's a fair amount of discussion, pro and con, over at the Fred Miranda Sony Forum (why Sony is not clear except that it's a small tripod aimed at lightweight cameras-which the Sony are, until one puts a lens on it  :))

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »

From what I see the main thing going for it is the compactness, otherwise you can find lighter and/or cheaper choices with similar strength, at least on paper.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:45:31 pm »

It looks pretty nice and probably nicer than my Manfrotto BeFree but it is also expensive and my current solution works ok.
I also feel like a travel tripod shouldn't be too nice since it may go all sorts of inhospitable places and get damaged/lost/stolen.
-MattB

StoryinPictures

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 10:01:43 pm »

The challenge with a bunch of thin legs is that however rigid they are, the overall structure is not so stable.  It may be they have figured out some new structural trick, but I would be reluctant to invest before we have independent (not sponsored or free review samples) from people who are used to using real gear :).

Adding one leg segment noticeably reduces stability on a tripod.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:51:02 am »

I have seven tripods including two video tripods, two monopods and a large camera stand. I like Peak stuff and have several bags and straps but I will pass on this.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 04:59:50 am »

From what I gather, the main advantage is reduction in diameter; not so in terms of height and weight.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 12:10:03 pm »

$600 for a skinny little travel tripod? Wow! That’s a lot.

hogloff

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:37:20 pm »

$600 for a skinny little travel tripod? Wow! That’s a lot.

Yep...many others in this segment for 1/2 the price.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 04:17:10 am »

Yep...many others in this segment for 1/2 the price.

And others more expensive. No point in comparing.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 07:27:09 am »

I don’t have unlimited money, not even close, so I compare. It will have to be really outstanding at its current price point. This tripod has some odd things going on. Like a level that is totally obscured by the camera mounted on it. Sure you can level it before mounting the camera but then you will have to remove the camera to re level should you change position. Just odd.

I think the leg shape really clever to save space when it’s collapsed but other features seem to be just fluff. Like the phone holder.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 07:41:10 am »

Can’t the camera just be mounted with the lens over the release?  That would leave the level revealed.  Assuming here is still room to press the release button.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

hogloff

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 08:01:26 am »

What do you mean...price is never a consideration when you look at equipment? Sorry...but price is very important to many people.

hollywoodstills

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »

Big fan of PD, except their gadgets/cables bag.  I don't even know how to deal with that. 

I was recently on hunt for new travel-type tripod and came across the PD travel tripod, but had to look around.  And with all due respect to them, the Sirui tripod ( https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1156937-REG/sirui_bsrw2204_w_series_waterproof_tripod.html) is pretty amazing, has some unique features, double the weight capacity and waterproof! 

And can fit in my carry-on. 

Pricing at 599 is pretty spendy for the PD.  I like how they are "trying" to reinvent the tripod though...until they do, I'm going to traveling with this Sirui tripod.  (Also got the compact head for it https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436620-REG/sirui_sufd01_fd_01_4_way_head.html). 

BTW - one amazing feature about the PD is that it doesn't have a side knob, which is how all my Benro tripods kept getting killed by Delta's baggage handlers!

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 02:27:36 pm »

My reaction when I saw the price was that I would have to see it in flesh, and reflect long and hard.

I bought three of each of their Leash and wrist straps when I bought my current lightweight gear. I found their early connectors would jam after a while, and bought replacements. They are up to version 4 of their connectors....good reasons for each change. However, their no longer useful to me on one camera because the connectors are too large (again.)

So I shall wait. Many others have subscribed to this product.  Good marketing.

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »

I travel regularly with a gitzo 1 series traveler and my biggest complaint was actually how the legs have too much dead space when packed.  With the legs reversed for travel, the circumference is rather large for what it is.  i Find lesser travel tripods don’t nearly have the stability...the gitzo was always my first choice for small tripods regardless.  If the PD traveler can even just meet the gitzo in performance, it will be a bargain of a tripod at $500.  I cant wait to get one. 

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)
Pages: [1]   Go Up