Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Drone Rules For Recreational Flyers  (Read 300 times)

Kevin Gallagher

New Drone Rules For Recreational Flyers
« on: May 18, 2019, 04:18:29 pm »

As someone who is licensed to fly real aircraft, I believe this is a step in the right direction. However if the FAA does not let everyone get access to the online request system I expect that the control towers will be swamped with requests which is not a good thing. I'm not quite sure how this would work at a non tower airport though. Oh well, time will tell.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: New Drone Rules For Recreational Flyers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:45:50 am »

Hi Kevin, I hope it all works out well, but I read about the drone situation and I'm glad I'm no longer flying. I had one friend killed by a bird strike. He got hit and augered in. I had another one who had a bird strike and was able to get the airplane back on the ground. After the strike he was on the horn saying: "There's a lot of meat in here." I suspect that's a problem pretty much confined to fighters and similar aircraft. The L-20 bug-smasher (De Havilland Beaver) that I used to fly in and out of our northern radar sites wasn't really subject to that kind of thing. But most of the drones I've seen -- and my youngest son was a droner for a long time -- would do the same job to just about anything in the air as the birds did to the fighters.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up