Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot open catalog  (Read 743 times)

The View

Cannot open catalog
« on: May 17, 2019, 03:41:57 pm »

I cannot open one of my catalogs.

When I try to open it, it says it is currently in use by me, so I cannot open it.

Of course it is not in use by me.

But I want to use it.

Capture One Pro has created the chicken-egg problem for software. You cannot open a catalog because the software things you have it open, and you cannot close it because you don't have it open.

It was established several versions back in 2013.

Could it be that there is a bug where Capture One Pro cannot read older catalog it created itself?
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

katcost

Re: Cannot open catalog
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »

Try the following - if you have windows ignore the "finder" part

If you try to open a Capture One Pro catalog and you get a message stating the catalog is open by another user when you know it is not, then this is how you restore access.
Use Finder and navigate to the folder where the catalog resides. Then option-click (right-click) to bring the pop-up menu and select Show Package Contents.
Inside the package folder you will find a file called “writelock”. Select and delete that file. You will then be able to open the catalog with Capture One Pro.

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:03:14 pm »

I cannot open one of my catalogs.

When I try to open it, it says it is currently in use by me, so I cannot open it.

Of course it is not in use by me.

But I want to use it.

Capture One Pro has created the chicken-egg problem for software. You cannot open a catalog because the software things you have it open, and you cannot close it because you don't have it open.

It was established several versions back in 2013.

Could it be that there is a bug where Capture One Pro cannot read older catalog it created itself?

It must be that you have an old version of Capture One (I think the issue that this happened with the same user was fixed in 10.0, at least on Mac), or you opened this Catalog on a different computer, where you have the same username, but different ID associated to that user. A third option is that you opened this Catalog last time with a Capture One before the fix, because back then there were no IDs stored in the lock file.

Anyway, the manual fix is very simple. All you have to do is to show the catalog's content (right click on it in Finder, and select 'Show Package Contents'. Remove the writelock file, and you should be good to go.

The View

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 04:47:56 pm »

Thanks, this worked.

But I noticed that many images are already in a different catalog.

I think it is best to delete this catalog.

Deleting a catalog, is it just dragging it into the trash when C1 is closed and that is it?

Or do I have to do anything else in order to not ruin the database system?

Interestingly, there is no information online on how to close or delete a catalog, not in the manual (when you google you only find a manual for Capture one Pro 8), nor in any of the Google search "hits".
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 04:53:45 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up