Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check that card twice before formatting on a Sony A9  (Read 634 times)

mshea

Check that card twice before formatting on a Sony A9
« on: May 16, 2019, 03:00:00 pm »

Maybe other Sony bodies as well. I accidentally formatted the SD card before downloading a second folder on the card. I tried four different data retrieval programs, to no avail. I then took the card to a professional data recovery lab and was told the card was wiped totally clean. It seems Sony does a "low-level" format, instead of a "normal" format (like my Canon bodies). Maybe they'll change that in a future FW upgrade.

So beware!

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Check that card twice before formatting on a Sony A9
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 04:22:45 pm »

Maybe the best strategy is to just delete everything, rather than format a card if you're expecting to be able to recover images at a later date.

I see why you might find this odd behaviour if you've come from a camera that offers different formatting options, but I'm not sure I'd expect Sony to change this behaviour as many people would assume that formatting a card really does just kill off all the files.
Not everyone will understand the subtleties of a low level format, rather than a 'normal' format.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:55:54 am »

That might explain why I found the formatting of cards on a Sony to be slow when moving from Canon
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:18 am »

The Sony manual suggests using the format command only when you use the card for the first time. Agreed, a simple "delete all" command would be nice.

charles.woodrich

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:25:11 pm »

Page 162 of the manual instructs to delete all images use the format function.
Pages: [1]   Go Up