Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200: random print head error & repeating lengthy installation process  (Read 2009 times)

NikonD850Boy

Hello Guys;

My HP DesignJet z3200 keeps asking me to re-install random print heads. Once I re-install the printheads as asked the printer then runs a lengthy installation process (4 steps) only to give the same error again after the 4th installation process.

I have more recently installed the following:

New Kevlar coated belt;
New Trailer cable;
New Encoder Strip;
New Formater Board Battery
New Print Heads

I have also sucked air out of the individual ink tubes inside the Carriage using Ink Tube priming tool (Syringe). So there is definitely ink reaching the printheads.

Anyone have any recommendations? Do I also need to replace the carriage?

I have tried shutting down the printer, removing batter etc and then re-starting the printer. But it then proceeds to the lengthy installation process only to say that the print heads need to be re-installed....

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Hello Guys;

My HP DesignJet z3200 keeps asking me to re-install random print heads. Once I re-install the printheads as asked the printer then runs a lengthy installation process (4 steps) only to give the same error again after the 4th installation process.

I have more recently installed the following:

New Kevlar coated belt;
New Trailer cable;
New Encoder Strip;
New Formater Board Battery
New Print Heads

I have also sucked air out of the individual ink tubes inside the Carriage using Ink Tube priming tool (Syringe). So there is definitely ink reaching the printheads.

Anyone have any recommendations? Do I also need to replace the carriage?

I have tried shutting down the printer, removing batter etc and then re-starting the printer. But it then proceeds to the lengthy installation process only to say that the print heads need to be re-installed....

Really, I want to avoid giving you advice, because you're in "no-man's land" or "wandering in the desert" at this point, but I can say what I would do as a next step.

These are the things I would do:

Turn off the printer and unplug.
Wait a good several hours.
Open the cover and roll up a piece of paper to stick in the right upper corner to defeat the limit or cover safety switch.
Plug the printer back in and wait for the carriage to come out of the home position, then unplug the printer again.
Pull All print heads and cartridges.
Carefully clean all print heads and PH receptacles.
Check expiration dates and replace any long expired and/or iffy print heads, especially those that won't pass the ink blot test with flying colors.
Plug printer back in, start from scratch, add carts only when called for, then print heads as called for.
Pay attention to the beeps when printheads are seated.
See if it initializes.

If yes, then good to go.

If no, re-evaluate.

As discussed, this would be my approach.  If you've already done this, then continuing to replace parts as you have is an approach.

Good luck.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

NikonD850Boy

Mark I cannot thank you enough for all the advice. Without you this machine would have probably been tossed out.

So I followed all the steps you said.

I also replaced the print head which was coming up as faulty all the time- despite it being new.

Turned printer on- it gave me several 3:10 errors (Power Supply). Kept restarting.

Finally the printer went past the 4th step, accepted the print heads and asked for paper.

Installed the paper (Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag).

Printer printed test print. No Photo Black/ Light Gray visible.

Ran print head clean and printed a color test print.

Results attached.

I am now going to replace the Photo black-Light gray print head aswell.

Do you have any other advice in light of the above?

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 11:56:51 pm by NikonD850Boy »

NikonD850Boy

UPDATE:

So I took the E-G and PK-LG Printheads out and cleaned them with a mixture of water/Glass cleaner similar to Windex but without Ammonia).

Re-run the Diagnostic Prints and got these results.

The print-heads seemed to come to life so I then ran another couple of Printhead cleans.

But this time the colors started to look lighter.

I also have now developed another small problem: my cutter is causing paper jams...is this because of the Canon Platine Fibre Rag paper?

kers

• Pieter Kers

Congratulations!; well done! ... it seems you are getting somewhere.
As soon as you have a perfect printer i would suggest to keep the calibration prints as a reference...
The cutter could be blunt - does it work on lighter paper?
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Mark I cannot thank you enough for all the advice. Without you this machine would have probably been tossed out.

So I followed all the steps you said.

Do you have any other advice in light of the above?

Thanks in advance

Congratulations!
OK so here's the thing.  You're into the printer with a fair amount of money and it has demonstrated that it is capable of coming back to life,
The outstanding and recurring issue relates to printheads.

These are so critical to this printer.  You'd be money and time spent ahead by buying new print heads directly from HP and pulling the old ones which you can save for the future in a pinch.  Your best course of action now would be to spend your money on brand spanking new printheads.

Also, you should really use a glossy or semi-gloss sheet to do printhead alignment and the diagnostic image.

When you create a custom profile for your Canson Platine Fibre Rag be sure to do Paper Advance Calibration.

With that you should be good to go.

I can tell you that the simple 464 patch target that you can make a custom profile from is just the beginning or the tip of the iceberg of what that Z can do.

Again,  good luck - so far you seem to be having fun.  :-)

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

NikonD850Boy

I have ordered new printheads and am replacing them all.

I will also replace the Power Supply Unit as that is on its way.

Do you know where I can get a larger patch target? I am running Windows 10 and forced to use the older HP Utility software (as the newer one does not work). 

1900+ color patch would be ideal.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS

I have ordered new printheads and am replacing them all.

I will also replace the Power Supply Unit as that is on its way.

Do you know where I can get a larger patch target? I am running Windows 10 and forced to use the older HP Utility software (as the newer one does not work). 

1900+ color patch would be ideal.

Your Z3200 is capable of creating and printing the Atkinson 1728 target by using the color measurement section of paper pre-set management.

You'll need to go to:

Z3200.com MAKING PPROFILES

If you are using windows, you can also go straight to:

GERALDO GARCIA'S TUTORIAL FOR WINDOWS

Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

John Nollendorfs

Your Z3200 is capable of creating and printing the Atkinson 1728 target by using the color measurement section of paper pre-set management.

You'll need to go to:

Z3200.com MAKING PPROFILES

If you are using windows, you can also go straight to:

GERALDO GARCIA'S TUTORIAL FOR WINDOWS
Exactly what I was looking for Mark, in taking the mystery out of using the comand line process of using Argyll. Thank  you so much  for what you do in supporting this printer. And a big call out to your son for making it easier with his software. Will let you know when I get a chance to try it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up