Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NVMe vs SSD for catalog and cache  (Read 1175 times)

rebadurchee

NVMe vs SSD for catalog and cache
« on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:45 am »

Hi, all, I'm about to upgrade my 9 year old pc and seeking wisdom.  CPU is going from first generation i7-930 to ninth generation i5-9600K with the requisite new RAM.  Six HDDs that kind of came about by accident with a total capacity of 8Tb.  I do have a storage question.

Of the six drives I'm running 2 SSDs currently, one for programs and the other for catalog and cache.  I'm intrigued by the newer M.2 NVMe drives.  Solid state but with a transfer speeds of almost 5 times regular SSDs.  There is one M.2 slot that can fit either NVMe or straight SSD.  Does anyone here have a M.2 NVMe drive and does it do anything for LR and PS?  Is it enough to justify another $100?

Thanks in advance.

albytastic

Re: NVMe vs SSD for catalog and cache
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 02:06:43 am »

I don't use LR or PS but I have put 2 Samsung 970 NVME M.2 in my Z800s and they certainly speed up transfer times from my Ramdrive and 1.5Tb RAID0 SSDs.

for example moving 20Gb from my Ramdrive to the NVME SSD takes about 20secs or less.

However in my Z800s (and other PCs) they cannot be used to boot from because they require a driver but I believe the most modern PCs with built in NVME slots do support booting.

In which case they would boot faster than even SSDs because in my Z800s I get 1.8GB/Sec and 1.5GB/Sec sequential on my PCIe2 slots.

On a PCIe3 slot they are apparently even faster.

The one problem with them is that they MUST have a heat sink fitted otherwise thermal throttling occurs.

Cornfield

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:34:24 am »

I have a Samsung 970 NVME M.2 as boot and for application storage.  My setup certainly boots very quickly and generally performs well.  I also have a spare slot for another NVME M.2 and I plan to use this solely as a scratch disk.  Currently I'm using a standard hard drive for scratch disk.  Adding a dedicated drive for scratch, cache and temp files certainlay gives LR, PS and Pr a huge performance boost.

DP

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:19 pm »

I have a Samsung 970 NVME M.2 as boot and for application storage.  My setup certainly boots very quickly and generally performs well.  I also have a spare slot for another NVME M.2 and I plan to use this solely as a scratch disk.  Currently I'm using a standard hard drive for scratch disk.  Adding a dedicated drive for scratch, cache and temp files certainlay gives LR, PS and Pr a huge performance boost.

I simply use 16Gb RAM drive for that, good enough when you a not dealing with gigapixels files

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:03:53 am »

A standard hard drive for scratch disk is not something you want to do. With SSD’s there is no need anymore to use a separate scratch disc. It’s not an old platter anymore where the head can only read/write at one position and one occurrence at a time. Look at the SSD specs on th high numbers of "input/output operations per second".

Regards,
Jaap.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:32:38 am »

I simply use 16Gb RAM drive for that, good enough when you a not dealing with gigapixels files
+1
Ram is also getting lower in price: I can buy now 32GB at 150 euro...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

rebadurchee

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:15:28 am »

Thanks for the comments.  I should have been more specific: has anyone using LR and/or PS moved to a NVMe SSD and noticed an improvement in speed with LR/PS over their previous SSD?  Thanks.

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:56:58 am »

What version of PS?  LR isn't going to see much improvement SSD to NVMe.  Photoshop will take advantage of every bit of I/O and space, so giving it a drive that's just for it will be happier - NVMe > SSD.

t: @PNWMF

rebadurchee

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 07:04:23 pm »

Thanks, Joe,  I'm running LRClassic 19 and the PS CC 20.  I do most with LR, say 80% so, 20% PS.  time to cogitate.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 09:46:11 pm »

Thanks, Joe,  I'm running LRClassic 19 and the PS CC 20.  I do most with LR, say 80% so, 20% PS.  time to cogitate.
All i can say - i have a nvme- samsung 2TB 970 evo and it saves my large files about 1 GB/sec... depending on the structure of the file...
I know it can do 2500mb/sec... but that is in tests... without hickups.
If you need to save and open a lot of large files then you will notice a difference for sure..
If not the extra seconds will not hurt you.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up