Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monologue  (Read 977 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Monologue
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:34:55 pm »

From 2008
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: Monologue
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 03:14:02 pm »

From 2008

Nice one.
The poor man capitulated a half century ago.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 04:23:56 pm »

Actually, both persons are enjoying the doutbful pleasures of "being or not being": the one sitting down (gonna be a long day) as the one outside who clearly has a shorter walk-on part to recite.

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 05:42:21 pm »

One of your best, IMHO.
So much to love: The three mouths, the two platters of food, etc., etc.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 05:18:15 am »

Love it Russ.  A real gritty image strong processing.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:48:40 am »

Love it Russ.  A real gritty image strong processing.

Yes!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:10 am »

Quite nice.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 07:47:39 am »

Brings the word “longsuffering” (Siri doesn’t think that’s one word) to mind.

business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 08:04:55 am »

The processing and in particular the contrast and sharpening gives an air of hyper-realism.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 10:06:17 am »

The processing and in particular the contrast and sharpening gives an air of hyper-realism.

That's something that jumps out at me on the iPad; it doesn't do a lot to make it look like a photograph, but more a hyper-real illustration, as you point out. It does tone down to being more a photograph when seen on my monitor.

I guess it depends much on what you want your work to look like... Sharpening has often worried me, taking photography away fom its roots. Contacts from 8x10 were also pretty damned sharp, and I have made some in my time, but that sharpness is different to digital sharpness, which resembles the edge contrast you got with some of Geoffrey Crawley's special chemical combinations! It was one reason why I ended up doing everything black/white in D76 1+1: it was safe and dependable, if only because the big Mellow Yellow Giant made it...

RSL

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:18 pm »

If you don't raise the contrast and sharpness you lose the woman's face in the background. It's even worse in the color version.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 12:42:22 pm »

That's something that jumps out at me on the iPad; it doesn't do a lot to make it look like a photograph, but more a hyper-real illustration, as you point out. It does tone down to being more a photograph when seen on my monitor.

I guess it depends much on what you want your work to look like... Sharpening has often worried me, taking photography away fom its roots. Contacts from 8x10 were also pretty damned sharp, and I have made some in my time, but that sharpness is different to digital sharpness, which resembles the edge contrast you got with some of Geoffrey Crawley's special chemical combinations! It was one reason why I ended up doing everything black/white in D76 1+1: it was safe and dependable, if only because the big Mellow Yellow Giant made it...

We all have our personal preferences, mine pretty much coincide with yours. That said to dismiss a work or body of work because it doesn't conform to our personal preferences is limiting if not blinkered.

I think that Russ has hit upon something here as he did with his recent bar shot.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 02:57:49 pm »

We all have our personal preferences, mine pretty much coincide with yours. That said to dismiss a work or body of work because it doesn't conform to our personal preferences is limiting if not blinkered.

I think that Russ has hit upon something here as he did with his recent bar shot.

It's not overarchingly about personal preferences for me, but about the way that digital crispness is different, and subverts images. I use it frequently as a local anaesthetic remedy for the symptoms that Russ described above, but almost never as a total treatment. That's not to dispute that others have different ideas; of course they do. It's simply that I think it can do more harm than good in many instances. Just an opinion, is all, as I'm sure Russ understood, or I would have refrained from passing it.

Come to think of it, I have noticed that effect before, and I believe it was something characteristic of his Pen camera, though of course I don't know if this was used here, too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 03:01:46 pm by Rob C »

RSL

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:53 pm »

Believe it or not, Rob, I agree with you about the crispness in this digital age. But I think the problem lies mostly in post-processing. It’s so easy to push that clarity slider to the right and watch everything become clearer. I’ve done it a couple times with head shots of women, heard my wife gasp, and had to agree I’d probably overdone it. With one of the headshots I made yesterday I had to push the clarity slider to the left. Age has its downside. In this case, I didn’t really like to have to add the extra sharpness and turn it, as you say, into a hyper-real illustration, but the woman’s expression pretty much gets lost without it. And, yes, I understood what you were saying.

No, it’s not the Pen doing that. I made that shot with the Nikon D3. I have to assume I was fairly far across the room. The exif data tells me I was using a 24-120 lens at 85mm. This was the older 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 version which wasn’t awfully sharp to begin with.

To get away from super sharpness, here’s one from 1954 with my good old Ikoflex. Not too sharp (maybe because I shot it through the window of a train).

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 04:11:11 pm »

There you go: the perfect filmic look I enjoy in a very human picture!

As I mentioned in my post, sharpness from an 8x10 contact was sharp as it gets, but different.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up