Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 8.3 is out  (Read 6167 times)

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
Re: Lightroom 8.3 is out
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:10 pm »

Sure seems like owners of other developers like C1 aren't too happy with todays new and significant addition. Maybe when they pays their $150 this Nov 1 they will get something.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 06:58:05 pm »

My photo editor is better than your photo editor?

No, they're different. Just clarifying on a comment that I interpreted as "here is something that C1 cannot do", but I may be wrong (and I use both BTW, each has its own advantages and disadvantages)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 07:07:27 pm »

No, they're different. Just clarifying on a comment that I interpreted as "here is something that C1 cannot do", but I may be wrong (and I use both BTW, each has its own advantages and disadvantages)
NO one said that (Here’s something C1 cannot do) with respect to Texture. Seems what it can’t (couldn’t) do was deal with my DNG’s. Your interpretation is off.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2019, 07:11:36 pm »

I don't use DNG. What is the issue with C1? Just curious.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 07:25:12 pm »

I don't use DNG. What is the issue with C1? Just curious.

C1 does not guarantee full support for DNG (except those created directly in supported cameras). This might affect color rendition

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2019, 07:26:03 pm »

C1 does not guarantee full support for DNG (except those created directly in supported cameras). This might affect color rendition

Thanks

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2019, 07:32:15 pm »

It seems some are not that happy that Adobe, often accused of riding the gravy train, added a significant feature today. I can list all of the features that Adobe added since Oct of 2017 but I'd rather avoid a mine is better than yours sub thread. Maybe I'll look at C1 a 3rd time and spend $300 with $150 annual upgrade fees every Nov 1 if they add lens corrections for all my telephoto lenses ;)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 02:31:37 am »

Not sure texture is exactly the same as structure in C1 but it’s similar enough that I will use it in the same way. I use LR and C1. Lr to get through masses of commercial work and C1 for my personal work. C1 for all tethered shooting of course.  I like them both.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

bjanes

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 06:35:09 am »

Indeed, there's Flat Field Correction; absolutely doesn't suck:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new/2019-3.html#flatfieldcorrection
Auto is supposed to be improved but I don't use it.

Adobe released a flat field correction back in 2013. See here. That version required a DNG file and was very useful in photomicroscopy where less than perfect Köhler illumination resulted in uneven illumination. About the same time Martin Evening published a short paper on how to obtain flat field correction in Photoshop using the divide blending mode. Martin's method not only corrected for uneven illumination, but also removed dust marks on the sensor in his fashion photography but also dust marks on the microscope condenser, something not possible with the LR version. It will be interesting to see what the new version can dol

Bill

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 01:12:41 pm »

Big new feature is a new slider - Texture. For me it's a subtler form of Clarity, like a blend of Clarity and Sharpening, and it's a global or local adjustment. I like to use it at negative values too.

https://theblog.adobe.com/from-the-acr-team-introducing-the-texture-control may interest people.

Nothing else of significance, other than changing all the LR app names, again - just to make sure everyone is equally confused.

The new texture slider in ACR is useful as a local adjustment to reduce or eliminate pesky unwanted texture on out of focus balls.

Thank you Adobe.

Jim Metzger

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 04:03:22 pm »

I downloaded today. "Auto" does seem to get me much closer to finished.  I shoot a Nikon D810 and find myself decreasing Highlights and increasing Shadows on most images. Auto does this very well. Seems to increase exposure a little too much.

I will still manually adjust "keepers" but "auto" is great for a quick run-through.

"Texture" seems to be closer in use to older "clarity", current clarity bumps up contrast AND saturation too much for most of my images. I can see a mild use of "texture", + & -, for many uses.

Jim

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:41 pm »

I downloaded today. "Auto" does seem to get me much closer to finished.  I shoot a Nikon D810 and find myself decreasing Highlights and increasing Shadows on most images. Auto does this very well. Seems to increase exposure a little too much.

I will still manually adjust "keepers" but "auto" is great for a quick run-through.

"Texture" seems to be closer in use to older "clarity", current clarity bumps up contrast AND saturation too much for most of my images. I can see a mild use of "texture", + & -, for many uses.

Jim

I noticed that auto now moves the contrast slider to a more contrasty look. Not always as good as the previous one, which in some cases was too much on the negative side with contrast. That's the main difference I have seen so far for auto.

ronaldnztan

• Ronald N. Z. Tan Photography
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 06:35:16 pm »

I thought about this, once I receive the update. Us C1PRO users have "Texture" as the original or legacy "Clarity" in C1PRO years ago. I think all these sharpening tools or local enhancements are never one-tool slider task and they have to be used in conjunction and image-subject-matter dependent.

Big new feature is a new slider - Texture. For me it's a subtler form of Clarity, like a blend of Clarity and Sharpening, and it's a global or local adjustment. I like to use it at negative values too.

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:04 pm »

Jim

Note sure if this effects Nikon but Auto, which is very usable now, does not play nicely with Canon profiles. It tends to over-protect highlights and underexposes quite a bit. I import with Adobe Color, apply Auto and then change to a Canon profile. I noticed ColorChecker Passport files don't suffer this.     

Clarity adds to mid tone contrast

Vibrance adds to only the least saturated colors

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 07:35:38 pm »

I noticed that auto now moves the contrast slider to a more contrasty look. Not always as good as the previous one, which in some cases was too much on the negative side with contrast. That's the main difference I have seen so far for auto.

I have not tried that yet. Adobe did say that it was going to correct that. Thanks for the heads up.   
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 07:50:17 pm by Zen8 »

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 07:53:58 pm »

Fairly shortly after the new Auto was introduced I noticed that Auto underexposed Canon profiles badly. Based on Hans's post I gave it a try. It always exposed this file to around -70. Looks like they fixed that too. Awesome   

Zen8

• My Photo Collections
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2019, 08:50:31 am »

I also read that using Auto as an import preset didn't match when Auto was applied after import. Apparently that has been corrected as well.     

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2019, 10:47:38 am »

I forgot to mention that import from cards should be much quicker. Instead of copying via the "device" method, it's now copying files as if they are on a drive - so it should now be a quick as using Explorer/Finder to copy from the card to the hard drive.

rdonson

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 12:39:35 pm »

I forgot to mention that import from cards should be much quicker. Instead of copying via the "device" method, it's now copying files as if they are on a drive - so it should now be a quick as using Explorer/Finder to copy from the card to the hard drive.

That will be a big improvement!  Hope to check that out soon.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 12:57:51 pm »

In import's left hand side, you'll see that it now defaults to the drive letter or external drive.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up