Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Erasing part of an image to reveal background layer?  (Read 1460 times)

Dinarius

Erasing part of an image to reveal background layer?
« on: May 14, 2019, 09:25:18 am »

Windows / Photoshop CS6

I have one image open and have made a duplicate layer.

Using a brightness adjustment layer, I brightened the duplicate layer.

I now want to brush away/erase/whatever part of the adjusted duplicate layer to reveal some of the background layer underneath.

In baby steps, how can I do this?

Thanks.

D.

elliot_n

Re: Erasing part of an image to reveal background layer?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:00 am »

Paint on the adjustment layer with a soft black brush.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 09:43:45 am »

Paint on the adjustment layer with a soft black brush.

Wouldn’t you need to add a mask to the adjustment layer first, then paint on the mask, not the adjustment layer?

elliot_n

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:44:44 am »

Adjustment layers come with masks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 10:01:25 am »

Adjustment layers come with masks.

Ok, but you still need to paint on the mask, not the layer, no?

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:05:39 am »

As I interpret your question, all you want to do is delete some of the effect of the adjustment layer.  As mentioned, simply use a black brush and on the mask paint the area in which you don't want that adjustment.  You don't have to duplicate the background layer at all, you can do everything you need on the adjustment layer itself.  Give it try, you can always use a white brush and brush that area back in if necessary and start over again, all on the mask that comes with the adjustment layer. 
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

elliot_n

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:08:03 am »

Ok, but you still need to paint on the mask, not the layer, no?

The mask is selected by default when you select the adjustment layer in the layers palette. So the steps are:

- Click on the adjustment layer
- Select the Brush tool and set it to black
- Paint on the image where you want to cancel out the effects of the adjustment layer.

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:32:49 am »

The mask is selected by default when you select the adjustment layer in the layers palette. So the steps are:

- Click on the adjustment layer
- Select the Brush tool and set it to black
- Paint on the image where you want to cancel out the effects of the adjustment layer.

Actually the above is rather confusing.  For instance, the last step is incorrect.  Do NOT paint on the image.  Paint on the adjustment layer MASK.  I'll break it down into steps as well.   

1. - Add the desired adjustment layer.

2. - To delete some of the adjustment, click on the layer MASK to select it.

3. - With a black brush, paint on the Adjustment Layer MASK in the area where you do not want the adjustment.

Done!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:19:27 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:49:40 am »

Thanks all!  ;)

D.

elliot_n

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 11:02:35 am »

Actually the above is rather confusing.  For instance, the last step is incorrect.  Do NOT paint on the image.  Paint on the adjustment layer MASK.  I'll break it down into steps as well.   

1. - Add the desired adjustment layer.

2. - To delete some of the adjustment, click on the layer MASK to select it.

3. - With a black brush, paint on the MASK in the area where you do not want the adjustment.

Done!

I think we're saying the same thing.The OP asked for 'baby steps', so I was just pointing out that the painting should be done in the image area, and not on the mask icon in the layers palette.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:14:43 am »

I think we're saying the same thing.The OP asked for 'baby steps', so I was just pointing out that the painting should be done in the image area, and not on the mask icon in the layers palette.
[/quote

Well Elliot, I'm sure you are quite familiar with using adjustment layers and brushing out or in parts of the adjustment.  However, you baby steps were indeed confusing and what you have just mentioned above is still confusing and totally wrong.  The painting should NOT be done in/on the Image Area.  The last part of that sentence is also absolutely wrong.  The Adjustment Layer Mask is indeed EXACTLY where the "painting" is done, and again, NOT in the image area.  Of course you are viewing the image while painting, but you should NOT be painting in/on the image area.  As I mentioned, I'm sure you know how to do this, but you have difficulty explaining it to someone who apparently has never done it previously.  If you follow the steps I laid out that is all you need.  It really is much more simple than your explanation.
Gary N.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:12 am »

I do it slightly different from what has been described, and I think it is easier in the case where the section that needs the modification is small in comparison to the rest of the image, which is to use a black mask and white/transparent brush to remove the mask where needed. 

To elaborate, first make the brightness/contrast layer, make changes that are much more extreme than might be required.  Now the whole image is changed.  Click on the clear mask in the layer to highlight it.  Then take the paint bucket tool and pick black as the background color and click on the image.  The mask now becomes black and image goes back to the unmodified version from below.  Next with the mask still highlighted/selected, take the brush tool, adjust the opacity and flow to some low level and paint on the image section in question, with changes that can be observed in real time, until satisfied. 

:Niranjan

elliot_n

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:57 am »

Well Elliot, I'm sure you are quite familiar with using adjustment layers and brushing out or in parts of the adjustment.  However, you baby steps were indeed confusing and what you have just mentioned above is still confusing and totally wrong.  The painting should NOT be done in/on the Image Area.  The last part of that sentence is also absolutely wrong.  The Adjustment Layer Mask is indeed EXACTLY where the "painting" is done, and again, NOT in the image area.  Of course you are viewing the image while painting, but you should NOT be painting in/on the image area.  As I mentioned, I'm sure you know how to do this, but you have difficulty explaining it to someone who apparently has never done it previously.  If you follow the steps I laid out that is all you need.  It really is much more simple than your explanation.

Wow, you seem incensed!

elliot_n

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 11:30:50 am »

I do it slightly different from what has been described, and I think it is easier in the case where the section that needs the modification is small in comparison to the rest of the image, which is to use a black mask and white/transparent brush to remove the mask where needed. 

To elaborate, first make the brightness/contrast layer, make changes that are much more extreme than might be required.  Now the whole image is changed.  Click on the clear mask in the layer to highlight it.  Then take the paint bucket tool and pick black as the background color and click on the image.  The mask now becomes black and image goes back to the unmodified version from below.  Next with the mask still highlighted/selected, take the brush tool, adjust the opacity and flow to some low level and paint on the image section in question, with changes that can be observed in real time, until satisfied. 

Yes, I often do it this way. (After selecting the Brush tool, select the colour white.)

Another method I use a lot is to make a selection with the lasso tool, feather it, and then create the adjustment layer.

Garnick

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 11:38:37 am »

Exactly.  I use this method in many situations where the adjustment will be applied to a very specific and rather small area of the image.  It takes much less time to brush in an adjustment in a small area than it takes to brush out the rest of the mask.  Therefore, start with the black/opaque mask and go from there.  I use this method most when I'm working on art reproductions, where a specific colour does not print properly, and I have to segregate that colour area and work on it only.  Much faster than the opposite approach.  I didn't mention this due to the fact that I thought it might perhaps muddy the water more for the OP, who wanted baby steps to start with.  My way of doing it is perhaps just a bit less complicated.  If foreground colour in Photoshop is black, simply press the Option + Delete keys for Mac, or of course Alt + Delete for Windows.  That will fill the mask with black.  If the Background Colour is black the key combination is as follows: Command + Delete for Mac and Control + Delete for Windows.  In either case it's a two key combo and takes no time at all.     

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:55:24 am by Garnick »
Gary N.

elliot_n

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:11 am »

If foreground colour in Photoshop is black, simply press the Option + Delete keys for Mac, or of course Alt + Delete for Windows.  That will fill the mask with black.  If the Background Colour is black the key combination is as follows: Command + Delete for Mac and Control + Delete for Windows.  In either case it's a two key combo and takes no time at all.     

Sweet - I didn't know that.

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 11:51:41 am »

Wow, you seem incensed!

Hmmm .... Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it in that sense.  I was simply trying to point out your mistakes, but you kept repeating them so I finally gave up.  Not sure what more I can say, since you seemed to be on a totally different track.  The strength of this forum is the sharing of information, accurate information.
Gary N.

Garnick

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:41 am »

Glad I could be of help Elliot.  :)
Gary N.

elliot_n

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 12:23:05 pm »

Hmmm .... Interesting.  I hadn't thought of it in that sense.  I was simply trying to point out your mistakes, but you kept repeating them so I finally gave up.  Not sure what more I can say, since you seemed to be on a totally different track.  The strength of this forum is the sharing of information, accurate information.

I don't actually understand what you're pulling me up on. When I said 'paint on the image' or paint 'in the image area', I simply meant to paint in the document window that contains the image. If I had advised the OP to first select the image layer in the layers palette, and then start painting on the image, then of course there would be a problem (i.e. a black image). But I didn't do that.... I just said: select the adjustment layer, select a black brush, then paint out the adjustment.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 12:32:40 pm »

Unfortunately I never learned the keyboard shortcuts and even if I did, I can never remember them so I take the long route.  This way I can let the mouse/pen do all the talking....:)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up