Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is stored in a .snsx SNS HDR project file?  (Read 456 times)

earlybird

What is stored in a .snsx SNS HDR project file?
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:18:46 pm »

Hi,
 I have been wondering what data is stored within a .snsx SNS-HDR project file.

I have been using SNS-HDR to open either a series of Canon .CR2 raw files or a corresponding series of 16 bit .TIFF files.

It seems that the .snsx project files, that SNS-HDR generates, have slightly less data storage requirements than a 16 bit uncompressed .TIFF of the same pixel dimensions.

So, it seems obvious that SNS-HDR discards a lot of data, when compared to the total sum of the file sizes associated with the files used in the exposure bracketed series, and keeps what it needs to perform some processes and export a .TIFF file.

The reason I ask the question is that I am wondering how saving both the .snsx file and the exported .TIFF differs. At face value, you can always go back and adjust parameters in the .snsx file and export additional, presumably differing 16 bit .TIFF files, but if the .snsx file doesn't have any more data than the 16 bit .TIFF exports, how can making subsequent adjustments to the .snsx be much different than post processing the 16 bit .TIFF exports?

If the .snsx file stored a lot more data than the 16 bit .TIFF file then it would make sense to me, but the fact that it seems similar in file size makes me wonder how it all works inside SNS-HDR after you have saved to the .snsx format.

How does it work?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:25:12 pm by earlybird »
Pages: [1]   Go Up