Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP z3200 red ink cart not recognized.  (Read 776 times)

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
HP z3200 red ink cart not recognized.
« on: May 10, 2019, 07:14:36 am »

I have a relatively new z3200 using the LD remanufactured insets.
Have replaced almost all the original inks with the LD replacement 130's with no issues. Output is stunning.
Yesterday the chromatic red called for a new cart. The replacement from LD says Red not chromatic red.
The printer would not read the new red cart when installed. Called the LD folks in Ca. and they are sending me a free replacement.
I don't think the red is the right cart. (It may be for the z3100.)
I am going to buy the chromatic red from HP. They do not sell  HP 70 chromatic red. They have a chromatic red 130ml but it is HP 73.
Why would HP change the number of just one ink in a set.
Someone straighten me out if I am off base.
I think I am correct in not wanting to use the LD red as it will mess up my present profile that uses chromatic red.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

deanwork

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2400
Re: HP z3200 red ink cart not recognized.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 09:58:47 am »

Chromatic red carts have a different chip and z3100 red cart will not be recognized, and vice versa. The printheads are different.

Having both printers, I’m still upset that I can’t use a chromatic red ink in my z3100 as all the other inks are the same but Hp doesn’t make one. It just couldn’t be that hard to profile it.

I suppose one could tear apart a chromatic red and put it in a third party z3100 refillable cart. Don’t know anyone who has done that or why someone hasn’t tried it. The deal is the absolute worst that could happen is you damage the printhead and have to spend $70.00 to replace it. But that seems unlikely.




I have a relatively new z3200 using the LD remanufactured insets.
Have replaced almost all the original inks with the LD replacement 130's with no issues. Output is stunning.
Yesterday the chromatic red called for a new cart. The replacement from LD says Red not chromatic red.
The printer would not read the new red cart when installed. Called the LD folks in Ca. and they are sending me a free replacement.
I don't think the red is the right cart. (It may be for the z3100.)
I am going to buy the chromatic red from HP. They do not sell  HP 70 chromatic red. They have a chromatic red 130ml but it is HP 73.
Why would HP change the number of just one ink in a set.
Someone straighten me out if I am off base.
I think I am correct in not wanting to use the LD red as it will mess up my present profile that uses chromatic red.
Logged

John Nollendorfs

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 623
Re: HP z3200 red ink cart not recognized.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:45 am »

Chromatic red carts have a different chip and z3100 red cart will not be recognized, and vice versa. The printheads are different.

Having both printers, I’m still upset that I can’t use a chromatic red ink in my z3100 as all the other inks are the same but Hp doesn’t make one. It just couldn’t be that hard to profile it.

I suppose one could tear apart a chromatic red and put it in a third party z3100 refillable cart. Don’t know anyone who has done that or why someone hasn’t tried it. The deal is the absolute worst that could happen is you damage the printhead and have to spend $70.00 to replace it. But that seems unlikely.

John:
Have you considered just taking the base off a Z3100 red cart and putting it on a Z3200 Chromatic red cart? But I  suppose they have a different mechanical key in addition to the different chip?
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: HP z3200 red ink cart not recognized.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 05:50:00 am »

John:
Have you considered just taking the base off a Z3100 red cart and putting it on a Z3200 Chromatic red cart? But I  suppose they have a different mechanical key in addition to the different chip?

John(s),

Mechanical key is in the base cap too. I still think that if you get the red channel completely filled with Chromatic Red ink the total ink mixing as set in the media presets is different in the Z3100 if compared to the Z3200. It will require a RIP to get beyond that and few RIPs will do the N-Channel mixing as good as the HP driver. Best might be the Ergosoft. Exchanging a Z3100 for a Z3200 is likely a more efficient option.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up