Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb questions from a computer illiterate  (Read 1403 times)

NigelC

Dumb questions from a computer illiterate
« on: May 09, 2019, 04:44:16 am »

I bought a refurbished late 2014 model 27" iMac about 18 months ago but carried on using my PC laptop, but its external monitor has died and laptop due to go same way so my future is iMac. The only photo editing software (on the iMac) is Lightroom 6.14 so I spent ages adding all the image folders on external an external hard drive to the catalogue one by one. I also imported new photos without bothering to name folders or assign a drive so they would be on the internal Fusion Drive. I don't understand the IoS file tree like I do windows - I can see the external hard drives and their contents OK but the internal drive is less like windows - there is no pictures/my pictures - so I can't actually find photos I have imported other than through Lightroom; this will be a problem if I move to a browser based photo editing programme - am I missing something?

Secondly I need to get a new external hard drive(s), not least to copy existing PC formatted ones so that they can be reformatted to mac. I will use these for backup but for a new external hard drive just for photos that I intend to access directly for editing rather than just backup my affordable options (I have a boat habit which leaves me impoverished) are a 1TB Samsung SSD with USB 3.1 or a much larger spinning disc e.g Buffalo with ThunderBolt connection (iMac has thunderbolt 2) I have read that speed go t/bolt transfer is irrelevant because of limitations of spinning discs and that USB SSD will be much faster? I thought SSD for stuff likely to work on and archive others to slower, larger ext drives - does this make sense?

NigelC

Re: Dumb questions from a computer illiterate
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:17:11 am »

Sort of realise I'm not in the right place to ask questions posed in first post but:

If your machine only has USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt 2 which external HD is likely to be faster?

a) Buffalo 2TB SATA with Thunderbolt 2 connection
b) SATA (e.g G-Tech) 4TB with USB 3.0
c) Samsung 1TB with USB 3.0

I have been led to believe that one doesn't get the benefit of SSD is limited to USB 3.0

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:32 am »

... there is no pictures/my pictures - so I can't actually find photos I have imported other than through Lightroom...

Say what!?

NigelC

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 10:08:23 am »

With hindsight don't think this is right place for this post but think only moderator can delete

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:17:14 am »

With hindsight don't think this is right place for this post but think only moderator can delete

1. This IS the right place for this post.

2. You can always delete your own post, but I do not see the reason to delete it. You have questions, someone will answer.

NigelC

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 11:21:18 am »

OK so ignore stuff about macOS directory as I can look that up.

Real question is if my iMac has only USB 3.0 (and thunderbolt2) does this constrict the operation of external SSD to the extent there is no advantage over spinning disc type or not?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »

OK so ignore stuff about macOS directory as I can look that up...

I can't answer the second question, but I can help with this one:

Mac has a folder Pictures (inside Finder), where you can store all your images.

Mac also has an app Photos that comes with the OS that automatically collects and categorizes you images by various criteria.

NigelC

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 12:31:31 pm »

Thanks, but mine doesn't have a Pictures Folder in that location, only All My Files; perhaps I need to create that as a master folder with sub-folders.

I think I've found the answer to the second question from a 2015 MacWorld article - SSDs don't achieve best transfer speeds with USB 3.0 but still significantly faster than conventional hard drive.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:35:31 pm »

Thanks, but mine doesn't have a Pictures Folder in that location, only All My Files; perhaps I need to create that as a master folder with sub-folders....

Perhaps you need to update to the latest OS? I did not create any of those folders in the finder, it is done by the OS.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 02:20:49 pm »

I'm having difficulty understanding the exact problem, but you could try these tricks.

In Finder, go to your home folder (Home under the Go menu, or type command-shift-H) and look for a Pictures folder there. There are various reasons why it might not appear in the sidebar of Finder windows.

If you can see images in Lightroom try right-clicking on one of them and choose "Show in Finder" from the popup. Then see where the resulting folder is (command-click on the title bar of the Finder window).

Jeremy

Joe Towner

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:45:51 pm »

Hey Nigel,

We'll get you thru, but there will be some points where it may be worth watching videos or grabbing a paper copy of Mac for Windows Users.  Let's start with some of the basics.  What version of MacOS are you running - you can find this by going to the Apple icon in the top right and going to 'About this Mac' - it'll give you the name, and below it a version number like 10.13.6 or such.

There is a folder structure you can see, it's just a matter of if the left sidebar shows them.  Click an open area of the desktop, and in the top left next to the Apple icon, it should say 'Finder'. Click 'Finder' and then click 'Preferences'.  In the window that pops up, you want to click 'Sidebar' at the top.  In the items here you want to check - make sure the 'house' icon is checked.  This is your user profile directory.  It'll have the 'Pictures' and 'Documents' folders you're expecting from the PC world.

As to SSD's - yes, they're much faster than spinning rust drives, even over USB2.  The SSD's aren't at full speed on USB3, but USB3.1 and TB (1/2/3) connected drives are even faster.

-Joe

t: @PNWMF

NigelC

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 05:19:19 pm »

Thanks for ideas will try these when I get home next week. I’m on Sierra as I can’t really see any good reason to update.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 06:18:19 pm »

... I’m on Sierra as I can’t really see any good reason to update.

Why not? It is free.

Joe Towner

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:00 pm »

Thanks for ideas will try these when I get home next week. I’m on Sierra as I can’t really see any good reason to update.

The upgrade to 10.13 - aka High Sierra - is pretty painless, and will be pushed by other software.  Don't think of MacOS updates like Microsoft OS versions - the changes between versions are minor in what you see, like Service Packs.
t: @PNWMF

NigelC

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 07:46:22 am »

It’s more a question of compatibility with some older drivers and apps; wonder how long LR 6:14 will be usable - would be typical of Adobe to not bother.

NigelC

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 12:56:04 pm »

Why not? It is free.

Not quite. From what I read, Mojave is a more worthwhile update than High Sierra but not compatible with the free version of Nik Tools I downloaded some time ago; therefore I would have too pay for new version - not really worth it for occasional use of Silver Effex pro. Also I don't think XRite have yet updated software for Color Munki photo for Mojave.
Pages: [1]   Go Up