Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firewire 800 card windows pc and p65+;  (Read 1166 times)

Photorealismos

Firewire 800 card windows pc and p65+;
« on: May 09, 2019, 03:46:34 am »

Hi!
Can you suggest a firewire 800 card that i can get in Europe to tether my new p65+ back to my windows pc;The back works fine with a lindy card i have on my ThinkPad laptop but on my pc i can't get it to work.. My leaf aptus II 5 worked fine with the card i have..

Photorealismos

Re: Firewire 800 card windows pc and p65+;
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 12:43:27 pm »

I have seen it.. But i can't find the Siig card that has the 9pin connector anywhere in Europe.. I would buy it from Amazon usa but we have crazy shitty customs in Greece and it is going to delay at least 1 month..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:48:28 pm by Photorealismos »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »

I have seen it.. But i can't find the Siig card that has the 9pin connector anywhere in Europe.. I would buy it from Amazon usa but we have crazy shitty customs in Greece and it is going to delay at least 1 month..

Unfortunately that is the only official list of tested cards that I'm aware of. The P65+ is the least-old back for which firewire was the primary/preferred tether method, and it was released in 2008, so there isn't much active testing of firewire cards anymore.

Alternatives include:
- buying random generally-well-rated cards and testing; hopefully from a vendor that accepts returns
- googling to see if any given candidate card is using the same underlying chipset as one of the recommended cards (not a guarantee of operability but as close as you'll get)
- upgrading to an IQ series back. The IQ1-IQ3 use USB3 and the IQ4 offers USB-C and Ethernet as well as wireless raw file transfer
- buying one of the macs (preferably a Mac Pro or Macbook Pro rather than an iMac) that has a native firewire port

But before you do any of these things you should contact the Phase One dealer from whom you purchased the P65+ to troubleshoot the issue with your current hardware. For example, it's possible your firewire card are fine and you can resolve the issue you're having by changing the power settings to Battery (instead of Auto) or using another cable, or updating the back's firmware, or updating the version of Capture One you're using or changing a Capture One setting (like the camera's enabled in the preferences). There are a lot of possible explanations for why your back is not is not connecting (beyond an incompatible firewire card) and it's your dealers job to help you have a good experience with with the back you purchased from them, so don't be shy to use them!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:43:05 pm by Doug Peterson »

Photorealismos

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 03:04:16 pm »

Thanks for your time to answer!
I bought the back second hand not from a dealer. I am the cheap guy trying slowly to go up in the digital back territory.. The back has the latest firmware and i have tried all the battery options. Since the back works fine on my laptop it is not a major problem i will keep looking for a firewire card in Europe.. If someone has experience with another card that works you are welcomed to inform me!

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:07:12 pm »

Windows and FireWire is what forced me into an apple laptop.  I just adapted to thunderbolt and dealt with that.  Wasn’t too happy as I was a windows user but it was the cleanest solution I could find. 
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

landscapephoto

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:09:16 am »

I would be surprising if other firewire cards would not work, as they are all based on the same TI chip as the Siig card. Here are two:
https://www.ejoker.de/digitus-interface-karte-pcie-firewire-800-2-externe-ports/1-interner-port-ieee-1394b-inkl.-low/14-1202210
https://www.amazon.de/Kalea-Informatique-PCI-Express-Karte-Controller-Karte-IEEE-1394a-Instruments/dp/B007KLBRDG

Alternatively, you can use a thunderbolt card and the apple TB to FW adapter under windows.

You could also test whether your existing card works with other FW devices, a hard disk for example.
Pages: [1]   Go Up