Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: And the $50,000 Scotiabank 2019 Prize in Photography goes to...  (Read 16451 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: And the $50,000 Scotiabank 2019 Prize in Photography goes to...
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:26 am »

Or, more likely, HCB wasn’t such a great photographer? Just another bored burgeois (or as kids say these days: boujee)  ;)

Nothing new, this insight, imo  8)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2019, 12:39:42 pm »

It is certainly a problem with photography, that the vast majority don't care about anything except if they're in the picture and is the picture sharp.

Next largest is the camera-owner population, who care largely about technical and formal properties. Is it in focus? How are the bokeh? Are there leading lines? Is there a tree growing out of the subject's head? Is the frame "balanced" and is the model "posed correctly"? Note that the concerns of this group do not overlap, even slightly, with  the concerns of hoi polloi.

Finally there are the Art Crew who care about whether the picture means anything, and if so, what.

There are probably other, even smaller, groups with concerns that are incomprehensible to me.

No group's concerns particularly overlap with any other group's, despite the fact that everyone claims that their concerns are truly the ones the unwashed masses will notice, perhaps subconsciously. Alternatively, and this one is hilarious, they will assert that the unwashed merely need to be educated, which is to put the cart several light years ahead of the horse.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:15 pm »

It is certainly a problem with photography, that the vast majority don't care about anything except if they're in the picture and is the picture sharp.

Why do you say "problem"? If this is what some want from their photographs, I don't see why that detracts from anyone else's usage.
--
Robert

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2019, 01:36:47 pm »

Why do you say "problem"? If this is what some want from their photographs, I don't see why that detracts from anyone else's usage.

Good point.

I did not mean that any specific set of attitudes is wrong, or "a problem," although it certainly reads that way, doesn't it?

My intent was that it's a problem in talking about photography. People tend to assume that other people share their criteria for judgement, and as often as not, one person's criteria have literally nothing whatever to do with the other person's. This leads to long, agitated, and pointless conversations.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2019, 01:42:27 pm »

And if all this wasn't enough, there's the problem of the cynicism of the righteous.

;-)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:16:27 pm by KLaban »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2019, 01:44:51 pm »

Good point.

I did not mean that any specific set of attitudes is wrong, or "a problem," although it certainly reads that way, doesn't it?

My intent was that it's a problem in talking about photography. People tend to assume that other people share their criteria for judgement, and as often as not, one person's criteria have literally nothing whatever to do with the other person's. This leads to long, agitated, and pointless conversations.

Ok, I understand. Sounds like those Venn diagrams that Slobodan mentioned, circles rubbing up against one another.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2019, 02:18:04 pm »

It is not just a body of work, though necessary. It is also a network and life path. These guys are in academia, from students to teachers, in galleries, art circles, mingling with curators, critics, other artists. Those others then become jury for a contest and they will look for those they know and whose work and philosophy they are familiar with. These awards and contests are not crowd sourced. You and I may snap thousands of sunflower walls and never stand a chance. I am saying it without any bitterness or criticism. It isn't a single, take-your-breath-away shot. It is a subtle leitmotif, flowing through the body of work and years, known to the initiated only. Again, I am saying it without any bitterness or criticism. It is just a different world, where you can't just jump in and out for the purpose of the contest. You have to belong.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2019, 02:46:43 pm »

The history of the Impressionists is a case in point.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2019, 03:12:46 pm »

The history of the Impressionists is a case in point.

The Impressionists are group that the artist's of today don't even look toward. Sure they know who is who, but that's about as far as it goes.

Today's anointed are their gods.

Peter

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2019, 03:20:28 pm »

The Impressionists are group that the artist's of today don't even look toward. Sure they know who is who, but that's about as far as it goes.

Peter

Interestingly among the unwashed (that is, the people who go to Art Shows At Museums) The Impressionists are pretty much it for painting. Painting is Monet and, ok, that Leonardo guy as well, and then a bunch of crap.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2019, 03:23:04 pm »

It is a subtle leitmotif, flowing through the body of work

This.

And if you can exhibit at least some amount of consistency in reproducing that leitmotif, it might just end up becoming a genre.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

rabanito

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2019, 03:31:06 pm »

It is not just a body of work, though necessary. It is also a network and life path. These guys are in academia, from students to teachers, in galleries, art circles, mingling with curators, critics, other artists. Those others then become jury for a contest and they will look for those they know and whose work and philosophy they are familiar with. These awards and contests are not crowd sourced. You and I may snap thousands of sunflower walls and never stand a chance. I am saying it without any bitterness or criticism. It isn't a single, take-your-breath-away shot. It is a subtle leitmotif, flowing through the body of work and years, known to the initiated only. Again, I am saying it without any bitterness or criticism. It is just a different world, where you can't just jump in and out for the purpose of the contest. You have to belong.

Hear!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2019, 03:33:23 pm »

Peter

Right, Peter, but when the Impressionists started out they were banished from the Salon in the 1874 show. What they were doing simply wasn't acceptable.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2019, 04:42:24 pm »

Very true.

Curators determine what will hang in the next exhibition and artists are made that way.
I'm aware of one exception: Thierry De Cordier. Out of the blue he walked into a curator with his body of work, and he promptly got himself a solo exhibition. Very interesting artist. (he also uses photography as a medium)

rabanito

« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2019, 05:11:37 pm »

As far as my humble experience goes, curators discuss with the artist what will hang and what not and where.
Usually an artist brings only a choice of images that he would let hang (anyone goes) so the curator only has to choose among them.
Of course one can discuss this or that but if you bring a lot of rubbish among the choice you just don't get an exhibition.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2019, 05:40:01 pm »

Right, Peter, but when the Impressionists started out they were banished from the Salon in the 1874 show. What they were doing simply wasn't acceptable.

And now they barely get a nod in art school. Too traditional by today's students desires...boring and over played.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 05:43:51 pm by petermfiore »

rabanito

« Reply #136 on: May 15, 2019, 05:46:37 pm »

And now they barely get a nod in art school. Too traditional by today's students desires...boring and over played.

Peter

Hahaha.
Like baseball  ;D

Boredom is in the eye of the beholder

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2019, 06:06:25 pm »

I'm not sure why anyone would want to paint an Impressionist painting today. This makes just as much sense as building a 1970s era automobile. An interesting exercise in nostalgia, probably marketable to a modest audience, but ultimately an era of expression which has worked itself out fairly thoroughly.

Note that I distinguish between "Impressionism" and "Impressionistic" -- the latter, being a borrowing of style and conceptual notes from the former, is very much still with us periodically. The ideas live on, the actual movement is rightly concluded.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:15 pm »

But, boy, is it a good investment!

faberryman

« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2019, 07:10:22 pm »

But, boy, is it a good investment!
I wonder whose photography, if anyone's, they will be saying that about in 150 years?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up