Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson v800 scanner noise  (Read 5312 times)

Joe S

Epson v800 scanner noise
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:53:24 pm »

My V800 was scanning fine and then started making a loud click, click sound and the red light came on.   The travel locks were all released.   Several off, on cycles and it is now working again.   Any idea what caused this and is it becoming terminal?

degrub

Re: Epson v800 scanner noise
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 07:00:13 pm »

Sounds like a gear slip or a locked head - same as if the travel locks were in. Could be some debris on the travel guide had the head stuck.
Just a thought. I have not had the issue yet.

Doug Fisher

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:15:40 pm »

Was the sound coming from the base or the lid?  I would think about opening it up and looking at the belts and gears to see if something is getting out of alignment or coming loose.  It is not that hard to do (youtube has videos) and your machine probably could benefit from cleaning the underside of the glass, etc., by now.

Doug

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »

The noise was coming from the lid, sounded like the cog belt maybe.   The intermittent part is weird.   It sounded like it was coming apart and now quiet again.   It is a reconditioned purchase still under warranty.   Epson will send another one but I would like to understand what was going on.

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:55 am »

So Epson sent me a replacement scanner today.   As I was taking it out of the box I heard something loose moving around inside.  It was an 1" or so elbow of broken plastic.   I called Epson and they are now sending me yet another replacement scanner overnight.

While packing up the original scanner for return I discovered that it too had something loose inside...yet  another similar broken piece of plastic!  This original scanner worked fine for a couple months before it had problems.   I now believe it to be a broken piece of plastic that moved into and interfered with a functioning area of the scanner.   This piece then seemingly moved out of the way and the scanner continued to work fine again.   I have no idea where this piece was from or its function.

I'm not completely sure what the moral of this story is as yet but I would at least recommend that you shake your scanner purchase to see if something is loose inside. 

I'm hopeful that the third time will be a charm and there will be no loose pieces in my next scanner!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:47 am »

Not sure about this specific scanner, but in the past, many needed to be locked into place prior to shipping.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Joe S

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »

Yes, there are 2 locks, one for the base unit and one for the top.   They were locked for shipment when I received them and locked fine after the malfunction. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up