Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nifty Fifty and the Landscape Photography  (Read 4100 times)

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
Nifty Fifty and the Landscape Photography
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:28:49 am »

5 Quick Reasons to Use the Nifty Fifty for Landscape Photography

Isn't that focal length usually connected with rather "unimpressive" images? The quality/price ratio may be good but what to do with the partially compressed perspective and not-enough-to-be-usable tele-lens capabilities? And stitching isn't always the option - especially with moving objects and changing light.

Shooting at this focal length forces us to focus on the most important parts of what we’re seeing around us. Trimming the fat, as they would say. In doing this, we’re also training ourselves psychologically to do the same in all of our shots.

This probably makes more sense. With a 24-120mm lens I usually have too many shots at the wide end - deleting them at home as a rubbish. A focal length like this might help one to resist the urge to have everything stuffed in one picture.
I wonder if anybody has a positive experience with a 50mm lens used in the Landscape Photography and could share some interesting shots taken with such a lens? Thank you.
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Nifty Fifty and the Landscape Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 10:12:30 am »

I like my 50mm. Both of these were taken with a D800 and Nikon 50mm f1.8G.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 11:30:48 am »

My Nikon 55mm F3.5 macro is the sharpest lens I own.  Very satisfying tool.

Gorgeous images, Mr Chairman! :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:00:30 pm by Peter McLennan »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 11:47:56 am »

I think that early in one's photographic career it is good to stick with one focal length, and 50mm (35mm FF equiv) is a good choice for two reasons:
1.  You soon learn to see what fits well into that view space, and
2.  You begin to learn in what situations you would really like to have a longer or shorter lens.

My earliest cameras had fixed "standard" lenses, and I'm glad they did. I have worked with film cameras from 35mm to 8x10" and for the past fifteen years digital cameras with typically three lenses each. I now use zoom lenses exclusively (because I no longer like to lug several lenses and a tripod around at my advanced age) and I find that different situations invite different focal lengths.

For example, I do lots of closeups of sand forms on beaches, and on my most recent Plum Island Beach outing I used lengths varying from 24mm to 400mm, with many shots at close to 50mm.

In winter I often shoot ice patterns on local ponds. Since I shoot from the shore (valuing my life more than the images,) I find that I now use longer focal lengths more. On one winter's outing my focal lengths were from 28mm to 230mm, with several around 50mm.

With experience you should be able to guess what focal length works best for each situation you encounter.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 12:23:27 pm »

Just bought a 40mm lens; For me that is the best choice- a bit more space; the 50mm always felt to be just too narrow.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 12:31:45 pm »

On my iPhone, I only use the 56mm lens, the 27mm lens is too sloppy. I could probably live with a 20mm, an 85mm, and a 200mm for the rest of my life if I could only have three focal lengths. If I'd only have one, it'd be 50mm for sure.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:15 am »

While I use wides and ultra-wides the most, for certain kind of landscapes I like the angle of view of a 50mm. To me, is not a matter of principle, but a matter of what works for each particular situation:

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:52:29 am »

While I use wides and ultra-wides the most, for certain kind of landscapes I like the angle of view of a 50mm. To me, is not a matter of principle, but a matter of what works for each particular situation:

Best regards,

Vieri

Considering the strong graphical and minimalist qualities of that first image, I think it would work extremely well with a subtle, not too contrasty, b&w rendition. Well done. Looks remarkably like an imaginary picture I have on my todo list when I ever get to Tuscany. (I presume it was shot there).
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 05:15:23 am »

Considering the strong graphical and minimalist qualities of that first image, I think it would work extremely well with a subtle, not too contrasty, b&w rendition. Well done. Looks remarkably like an imaginary picture I have on my todo list when I ever get to Tuscany. (I presume it was shot there).

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed my lone cypress :) Yes, it was indeed shot in Tuscany, and I agree with you about the B&W, which I use a lot for my cypress pictures - I am lucky enough to be able to go 5-6 times a year to Tuscany leading Workshops, which gives me a lot of opportunities to shoot these beautiful cypresses under pretty much any weather / sky combination... for this particular one, I found that the colours added something extra and decided to leave them in.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

biker

• powered by a pair of quadriceps
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 04:04:45 pm »

Thank you all for the useful opinions and the amazing pictures you've shared - they make me want to experiment with that focal length while photographing landscape!
Don't wait until the flock moves.
Be first to comment. (Unless you haven't got anything to say.)

NancyP

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 07:26:20 pm »

I don't have an image on me at the moment, but I use 21 mm, 35 mm, 40 mm pancake, 50 mm, 55 mm, 105 mm, 125 mm macro, and 70-200 mm on a full frame camera (Canon 6D).  A few of these are vintage manual AIS Nikkors, including the aforementioned AIS Micro-Nikkor 55 f/3.5 1:1 macro lens, of which there are about 350,000 floating around on flea-Bay for cheap. Probably my most-used landscape lens is the lowly Canon 40 mm f/2.8 pancake lens (manual-focus-by-wire, ugh), weight 130 grams, therefore, always in my bag even if my main subject of the day is "macro" or "birds".

Certain landscapes may favor certain focal lengths. I find myself using the 40 mm a lot because it works well for woodland scenes.

Herbc

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 11:19:50 pm »

I think focal length is often dictated by the location. I find myself in deep woods often in NC, and wide is a must.

Lightsmith

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 02:38:07 pm »

The 50mm lens was popular when all that were available were rangefinder cameras with limited manual focusing mechanisms. When I bought my first SLR camera in 1968 I also bought a 105mm lens as that focal length provided to my eyes the most accurate rendition of what my mind saw when looking at a scene. I still use the Nikon 105mm DC lens and also their 85mm tilt shift as well as the 70-200mm zoom lens for many of my landscape images.

With digital it is easy to do stitching of multiple images so as to avoid the perspective distortion that results from the use of shorter focal length lenses. Especially with landscape photography the shrinking in size of middle and background objects reduces the quality of the image, with mountains looking like mole hills and large trees looking like large shrubs.

Shooting underwater I routinely used a 15mm ultra wide angle lens to make "near and far" images where something like a sea fan would be 18 inches from the front of the lens and at the edge of the frame and the depth of field stretched to the limits of visibility or about 50 meters. This is a very effective approach but on land I see mostly the wide angle lens used to provide a very wide angle of view and not evidence of an awareness of the perspective distortion that is also evident.

Stephen Girimont

• The Intimate Landscape
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2019, 01:28:23 pm »

Really depends on how you use it.

I shoot many of my landscapes as multi-row panorama stitches and like the 50mm (or equivalent) or longer when I do these.

This was shot with the Fuji GF 63mm...

biker