Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: File corruption/Color cast  (Read 1634 times)

TonyW

Re: File corruption/Color cast
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 07:08:58 am »

I agree with Gary we did not ask enough questions from the start, instead making a bad choice of assuming that the 'sudden' onset of file corruption coincided with the change of application (at least that is what I did!). 

I  have at least rendered about 100 files again and they
keep coming. Just finished rendering another 11 again.
I had made an assumption from this that you were actually using your editing application and new edits revealed the same problem
But this seems to be an incorrect assumption...

what I do now to solve the problem is actually go back to the raw file, run them through DXO - latest version - and export as tiff.
So now when you run your raw files again in DXO and output to either JPEG or TIFF you are not experiencing any issues with this type of corruption?
And corruption is only found in those JPEG's Or TIFF that have been stored for a period of time on a particular disk?
If so is this disk reserved solely for image data?
If other files stored for other applications are they all verifiable as good?
Internal or external drive?
What type of drive and how old?

But why would a DXO created tiff/jpg file go corrupt after 5, 6, 7 or 8 years - suddenly?
Many potential reasons - just a few off the top of my head:
HDD beginning to fail with intermittent bad read / writes
HDD errors due to turning off the computer before finished writing data
JPEG Errors corrupt header
IF the application actually writes directly to the file to append information this is a potential source of corruption
Invalid JPEG structure
Bad cable
Corrupt application writing/changing data that is unreadable (should be consistent though for each file type)
Others!

So there is a myriad of issues that could have caused the corruption. 

If it is hardware then uninstalling reinstalling will be of zero help and I would suggest that you run a health check program on your HDD containing your data and consider if that particular disk has passed its sell-by date.  HDD do fail its not a matter of IF but When.  Your backup solution should aid you getting pristine data onto a new system - IF this is a/the reason for your issues.

Full uninstall/reinstall of the applications DXO and Photo Supreme may help and certainly should not do any harm but be aware this action may just be a fruitless exercise.

A personal viewpoint YMMV, under these circumstances I would be double checking for potential hardware issue and may just for safety reinstall apps that I considered 'risky'.  I would also resign myself to making (and verifying) new renders from raw and saving them to mainline and offline backup areas.

For those JPEG's without backup exhibiting this type of corruption if desperately important you may want to consider if it is worthwhile to attempt part restoration.  The image you have shown of the Yoga lady is partially recoverable relocating the left side of the image to its proper place but not easy to deal with the colour issues due to the Red channel and to a lesser extent Blue channels having severe damage.  In this case the easiest option to recover as B&W image

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 07:33:30 am by TonyW »

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
Re: File corruption/Color cast
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:50 am »

The sudden onset of file corruption actually started after the switch from Media Pro to Photo Supreme - that is correct. But I do think this is coincidence.
Due the all the work with the files i.e adding Geodata etc... this might have caused problems

New edits are sofar fine

The backup is a bootable backup done by Superduber and stored on a Drobo. The HDD in the Drobo are a few years old.
Other files have shown no problems sofar. At least I have not seen any.
My Imac is Late 2012, with a 3.0 TB Fusion Drive

Running Disc Utility on the drives shows no errors

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up