Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: File corruption/Color cast  (Read 1635 times)

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
File corruption/Color cast
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:13:52 am »

Hello,

I recently moved from Media Pro to Photo Supreme and I suddenly have quite a few files behaving oddly.
They change color to green, and about a third of the image on the right side, moves to the left - see also the attachment.

Fortunately it only happens to my derivative files - jpgs/tiffs and not to the raw files.

I am on Mac, Sierra, everything updated. Computer is otherwise not behaving oddly.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

Sigi
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:47:07 am by Sigi »

TonyW

Re: File corruption/Color cast
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:32:17 am »

How do the JPEG and TIFF look in other photo viewing applications or within a browser?

If normal then I would suggest uninstalling the application then reinstalling to see if that helps

If images look the same as your link in other applications then the files corrupt and you will need to render again from raw

Sigi

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:33:53 am »

They look the same in i.e Photoshop or Affinity. The question is why does it suddenly happen. I  have at least rendered about 100 files again and they
keep coming. Just finished rendering another 11 again.

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:37:03 am »

Well, we know what it looks like in another browser since we can see it.  My browser is Firefox and what I'm seeing is exactly what you have described.  However, Tony's suggestion of an uninstall is valid.  Just make sure you have deleted all parts and bits of the App you are uninstalling.  I use AppZapper and it seems to find everything that needs to be deleted.  If there are any bits of the app left they can still perhaps play havoc with the new install.  I think the uninstall is probably the best way to begin.  You should also get in touch with the Apps site and ask if they have an uninstaller for that app.

If the file is indeed corrupted somehow it will look the same in all other colour managed apps, PS, LR, Affinity etc.   
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:41:23 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

TonyW

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 10:52:43 am »

The reason for asking how it appeared was simply that the jpg could easily have been a screen grab from a faulty application  :P

There is only guesswork to suggest why it is suddenly happening

Probably and hopefully a corrupted instal of the application which can easily be remedied as already suggested

Less likely an intermittent hardware error but you may want to check by rendering the same images in another application.

Sigi

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 03:21:17 pm »

Ok. I will uninstall Photo Supreme and reinstall it. Do you think to uninstall the app is enough? Photo supreme has a database and a thumbnail database also. I guess I can keep those and just do the app?
Your thoughts?

degrub

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 06:55:08 pm »

If the thumbnails show the same issue, you should regenerate
 them

TonyW

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:50 pm »

Ok. I will uninstall Photo Supreme and reinstall it. Do you think to uninstall the app is enough? Photo supreme has a database and a thumbnail database also. I guess I can keep those and just do the app?
Your thoughts?
Have you satisfied yourself that this problem exists with just this one application by rendering a few JPEG from raw in a different application?

If you have had satisfactory raw to JPEG then the question is, how troublesome would it be to just repopulate a new DB and generate new thumbs vs having to uninstall delete DB and thumbs and reinstall again due to similar issues as current set up?

I do not know enough about Mac OS and internals to suggest any other work around. 

If it was me making the choice And I knew for sure it was a corrupt instal then I would clear all remnants and start again

Garnick

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 11:24:55 am »

I may be missing something in your initial post, therefore a question re this quote - "I recently moved from Media Pro to Photo Supreme and I suddenly have quite a few files behaving oddly".  When you moved from Media Pro to Photo Supreme did you move all of your images files or do you still have a few left in Media Pro?  If you do have some files still residing in Media Pro, what do they look like?  From your description of the situation it would seem that you believe the issue is somehow linked directly to Photo Supreme.  Since I do not use a DAM other than the one I created on my own HDD, I'm not aware of all of the possible implications of using such a cataloguing app.  However, I do have one more question which may unfortunately prove my ignorance of this particular situation and APP.  When you moved from Media Pro to Photo Supreme did you simply move the files from Media Pro or did you start from scratch with the original files?  I do not know if it would be possible to move files from one DAM to another, but if so I imagine that procedure could possibly have a negative effect on the files you are moving.  If I'm totally wrong about this just let me know, since I have no further suggestions at this time.   
Gary N.

Sigi

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 11:33:39 am »

Hello Garnick, Media Pro and Photo Supreme are catalog based DAM systems. In other words you only have thumbnails in the catalog - not the file itself. You either embedd the metadata into the file or you use sidecars.

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 12:32:33 pm »

Hello Garnick, Media Pro and Photo Supreme are catalog based DAM systems. In other words you only have thumbnails in the catalog - not the file itself. You either embedd the metadata into the file or you use sidecars.

Yes, I"m familiar with how a cataloguing app works, but since I don't use one I believe that moving the actual thumbnails would be useless, and more to the point, probably impossible.  However, my first question still stands. How do the thumbnails look in the Media Pro catalogue if you still have some there?  If you still have Media Pro installed why not send a few files and see how they look.  If they are as expected it would seem that possibly the Photo Supreme app is faulty and may indeed need to be deleted and reinstalled.  And by the way, another way to make sure that all of the apps bits and pieces are deleted, simply do a search for that app and it will show you all of its installed pieces (mostly in the Mac HD Library>Application Support) and you can then delete them one by one.  Empty trash, reboot the Mac and reinstall the app.  If you still have the same issue get in touch with the apps site.   
Gary N.

Sigi

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 12:50:06 pm »

The thumbnails look wrong in Media Pro and also in Finder. I can open the file in Photoshop and they look as above.

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »

The thumbnails look wrong in Media Pro and also in Finder. I can open the file in Photoshop and they look as above.

Sorry, but I'm still confused.  In your original post you mentioned that the issue manifested when you moved from Media Pro to Photo Supreme, but now you are saying the thumbnails are wrong no matter where they are exhibited.  "I can open the file in Photoshop and they look as above".  What do you mean by "above"?  Do you mean the opened file in PS looks like the attachment in your original post or just the files thumbnail.  If it's the opened file that would seem to indicate that the file itself is corrupt, not just the thumbnail.  If that's the case it would seem that you perhaps have a deeper issue that just an ugly thumbnail.  Hopefully you have a good backup of the file.

And yet another question.  Do any of the original files contain alpha channels, such as saved selections etc.  I have found that quite often a file with alpha channels will not always display properly in the thumbnail and will only display the alpha channel.  If you have used the alpha channel on an adjustment layer for instance, you can delete the alpha channel, since you'll have the selection built in on the adjustment layer.  Choose the Background layer and then close and save the image.  The thumbnail will then display properly.  If you have no alpha channels please ignore this paragraph.       
Gary N.

Sigi

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 01:56:39 pm »

The image above - attachment to the original post  -  is a screenshot from Photoshop when I opened the file. The thumbnails in Photo supreme, Media Pro or Finder look like the the openend file. So I agree the file is corrupt.
No Alpha channels used. I hardly use Photoshop. Almost all my files are directly from DXO.

TonyW

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 02:13:31 pm »

The image above - attachment to the original post  -  is a screenshot from Photoshop when I opened the file. The thumbnails in Photo supreme, Media Pro or Finder look like the the openend file. So I agree the file is corrupt.
No Alpha channels used. I hardly use Photoshop. Almost all my files are directly from DXO.
So it seems that you use DXO to render your raw files to JPEG, is that correct?
If so then it is DXO that is the suspect app

Sigi

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 02:18:48 pm »

I render tiffs from DXO. The jpgs are mostly from iphone or small pocket cameras. The ratio of corrupt files between tiff and jpg is about 10:1.
The files which go now corrupt have been on the computer for many years without any problems. So I do not think that this is a problem of DXO

what I do now to solve the problem is actually go back to the raw file, run them through DXO - latest version - and export as tiff.

Garnick

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 03:11:13 pm »

I render tiffs from DXO. The jpgs are mostly from iphone or small pocket cameras. The ratio of corrupt files between tiff and jpg is about 10:1.
The files which go now corrupt have been on the computer for many years without any problems. So I do not think that this is a problem of DXO

what I do now to solve the problem is actually go back to the raw file, run them through DXO - latest version - and export as tiff.

I suppose it's our fault for not asking, although it is rather late in the thread to let us know that all files were rendered in DXO, even though it does seem rather strange that DXO would have any influence on the thumbnail or the opened PS file at this stage.  Have you attempted to open the affected TIFF's again in DXO since you first noticed this issue?  If so, did the issue manifest in DXO as well?  And again, if so, I agree with Tony that the buck stops with DXO, not PS, Affinity Etc.  Any of these apps can only display the contents of the file, no more no less.  Now having said that, I believe it could also be tracked right back to your original DAM, Media Pro.  Do you use Time Machine?  If so have you tried opening one of the files in PS or DXO from a date before this issue appeared?  Or, as I mentioned earlier, if you have a good backup of the file otherwise will it open and display properly?  As the saying goes, this issue has become an "enigma wrapped up in a conundrum".   :o         
Gary N.

Sigi

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 03:39:52 pm »

The rendered tiff also looks wrong in DXO when I try to open them again in DXO and as mentioned above these files have been rendered in DXO originally many years ago, some of them 8 and 9 years ago. I do not use time machine but I have a bootable backup and the files there are fine and display properly. I have copied a few of them back without any problems but most of the time I re-edited them again with the latest version of DXO. DXO would also just display the content of a tiff file.

I agree it is an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum.

Garnick

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 04:09:43 pm »

The rendered tiff also looks wrong in DXO when I try to open them again in DXO and as mentioned above these files have been rendered in DXO originally many years ago, some of them 8 and 9 years ago. I do not use time machine but I have a bootable backup and the files there are fine and display properly. I have copied a few of them back without any problems but most of the time I re-edited them again with the latest version of DXO. DXO would also just display the content of a tiff file.

I agree it is an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum.

Ah!!!  I was going to ask about a bootable backup as well as Time Machine but forgot after I answered a phone call and then sent my reply immediately.  I would assume you might have used either Carbon Copy Cloner or perhaps SuperDuper, my favourite.  I always keep 4 clones of my OS and Apps on separate drives and update them monthly when I remember, or when I have perhaps installed a couple of new apps.  I cannot afford to have an HDD go south and no way to get back to work efficiently.  All working files, image or otherwise, are backed up to a separate partition on the same drives as the OS & Apps.  I don't clone the working file partitions, since I always backup a file on each drive once I'm finished working on it.  If I do more work on a file I then back it up again of course.  If all files display properly on your clone drive but not your main working drive, that seems to point the finger at DXO again in my opinion.  Perhaps DXO is the one you have to reinstall.  At this point I think you should get in touch with DXO and explain the issue to them along with the image you included with your original post.  They might have an answer for you.     
Gary N.

Sigi

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 06:21:24 pm »

But why would a DXO created tiff/jpg file go corrupt after 5, 6, 7 or 8 years - suddenly?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up