Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 3 has reached the end for new OS support  (Read 1492 times)

ButchM

Aperture 3 has reached the end for new OS support
« on: May 01, 2019, 09:04:26 am »

Apple has officially announced that Aperture 3 will not be supported beyond the current macOS 10.14.x (Mojave) ...

Apparently CoreImage will no longer be of use to the legacy code used by Aperture.

Anyone wishing to upgrade beyond the current OS and still using Aperture will have to make a choice about going forward.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209594

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Aperture 3 has reached the end for new OS support
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 03:48:29 am »

A sad day. There is an option on the page "Is this useful" and NO followed by a comment may cause some miracle. I guess I am going to be on Mojave for a long time once I get to it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

francois

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 04:33:34 am »

A sad day. There is an option on the page "Is this useful" and NO followed by a comment may cause some miracle. I guess I am going to be on Mojave for a long time once I get to it.

Yes, it's a sad day and with all the resources available at Apple, they could probably have done something about legacy apps. But I'm probably part of a minority :-(
Francois

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 12:30:00 pm »

Yes, it's a sad day and with all the resources available at Apple, they could probably have done something about legacy apps.

Sure. New OS revs don't have to mean the death of old apps. Zork running under Win 10.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:59:11 pm »

Apple wants all programs to run 64 bit-
It already killed Media Pro that is still my favourate local catalogue program.
Programs have to be rewritten to 64 bit or die. I have heard that can be a lot of work so sometimes it is just too expensive.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 07:07:04 pm »

Apple wants all programs to run 64 bit-
It already killed Media Pro that is still my favourate local catalogue program.
Programs have to be rewritten to 64 bit or die. I have heard that can be a lot of work so sometimes it is just too expensive.

Aperture is 64 bit so that is not the issue. They are not updating the libraries to support the new OS and eventually things stop.
Unfortunately they have just decided that all photos are now taken on mobile phones.

Apple used to be the most backward compatible OS around.
Apart from Aperture (64 bit but unsupported), I have accounting programmes that are 32 bit and just too expensive and integral to discard.
I have found that you can run High Sierra in a window under High Sierra using VMware. That may be an option going forward.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:10:33 pm by BobShaw »
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up