Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trip to North Rim Grand Canyon  (Read 1225 times)

praja343

Trip to North Rim Grand Canyon
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:47:06 pm »

I am planning a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid-June. I have 7 to 10 days. Would like to know if I can combine Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase with this and not stretch myself too thin. I am thinking of starting in Salt Lake City and renting a 4 wheeler. Any comments and suggestions for locations to visit, places to stay etc. are welcome.

Thanks.

degrub

Re: Trip to North Rim Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:13:05 am »

Unless you are just planning to drive through only with minimal stopping, you will be so thin we will be able to see the South rim. Maybe pick 2 if you are planning to scout locations and shoot.

All of these are starkly beautiful areas. It should a great trip.

If you don't see a town nearby, unlike to find a place to stay without a long drive.
Many places are already filled up, particularly near the NPs. Usually a reservation 9-12 months out is required near the NPs. The public land areas are not as bad, but require long drives unless you tent camp and get a permit from the BLM or NFS depending on who controls access.

Have you been in this part of the world before in the summer ?
Minimal if any cell service away from major roads.
Water, water, water, and planning are the way to survive and have a chance at a good back country trip in the West.
Most rental companies will prohibit off paved road usage as part of their terms.
Are you used to driving high clearance 4wd on minimal, if at all, constructed rocky paths ?
Unless you stick with the more popular locations, you will have to deal with that.

Always talk with the rangers, get a permit if required, and let them know your plans if you go back country. Then, at least, they know about where to start looking for you. At least let friends know your plan and when you will check in with them.

If you search the threads here there are others that have done the same trip.

Also, pay attention to the weather, even miles away, as this is flash flood country in the creek and river beds.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 04:02:11 pm »

Ditto on all the above, except permits to camp on NF and BLM land are not needed. I travel extensively in a 4x4 w/camper and almost always camp on BLM or NF land for free. However, I don't get services like smelly toilets and noise from generators, radios, and drunk tourists, which are all available if you pay for a campground. When you don't use a campground, it is referred to as "dispersed camping". Just find a place you can pull off a forest service or BLM road without trampling vegetation or fragile soil, and settle in for the night. I camp just outside the entrance to the north rim, on NF roads. I've seen motor homes pulled off there as well, and you can access 90% of these roads with a Toyota Camry if you are careful.

If you are eligible (62 or over), and don't already have one, it may be worthwhile to buy the Senior Access lifetime pass for $80. It gives you free access to all NPs, as well as 1/2 off at NFS campgrounds, and also serves as a Northwest Forest Pass here in the PNW. If you are not staying at the North Rim Lodge, the next best thing is to camp at one of the NFS campgrounds just outside the park boundary (for a fee) or disperse camp. However, this means you will have to reenter the park each day at $25 a pop, unless you have the pass.

BLM land generally requires a fire pan if you want to build a fire. In June, there may be fire restrictions in place. For sure it will be hot. I never venture to the places you mention from June through August because of the heat. The north rim won't be bad, but I have seen it 108F down at the river in mid-May. I have also seen it snow on the north rim in mid-May.

Yes, reservations fill up fast, but I would keep trying xanterra.com for reservations at the north rim as they allow full refund cancellations up to two days before arrival.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:47:20 am by pcgpcg »

azmike

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 04:25:04 pm »

My favorite on the North Rim is Point Sublime with its 270-degree view. I think Canyonlands to North Rim in 7-10 days may be too much landscape to cover thoughtfully (and too many miles).  Maybe start in Las Vegas and start with North Rim, then Bryce, Utah 12 to Capital Reef.  June will be hot.  Be prepared.

Suggest getting copies of Laurent Martres books Photographing the Southwest - Volume 1 (Southern Utah) and Volume 2 (Arizona).

Mike Coffey
Prescott, Arizona

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:40:10 pm »

Unless you're an experienced offroader with intentions of visiting remote locations, I'd avoid a 4WD vehicle.  They're noisy, slow, expensive to rent and thirsty.  A common mini van, a foamie and a good sleeping bag would be a far better solution for a desert road trip IMHO.

Your targets are optimistic.  The distances are large.  The North Rim is fantastic, as are its approaches.

praja343

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:21:53 pm »

Thanks folks. I will limit it to only the North Rim and save the others for a later date. My aim is not to stretch myself that "thin". Things look closer on maps than in real life especially when rods take wide detours. Will look at the reference suggested. My thanks again.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 12:44:37 am »

I am planning a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in mid-June. I have 7 to 10 days. Would like to know if I can combine Canyonlands, Capitol Reef and Grand Staircase with this and not stretch myself too thin.

Ah no.  Pick two at the most.   Not sure where you're from but I get emails from people back East who give me a long list of places hundreds and hundreds of miles apart and conclude with, "I only have one week." ;D   Few from back East seem to have any concept of the distances out here.  In the Dakotas, towns with a Burger King/MacDonalds are often two hours apart.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up