Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topaz Gigapixel and Color Shift  (Read 3074 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Topaz Gigapixel and Color Shift
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:06:18 pm »

I have been trialing the new Gigapixel AI, and have noted an issue.  On 2 images recently processed, I noted a pronounced shift in the color balance.  Both images had large expanses of deep sky blue, which is where the shift was most pronounced.  The result was much warmer, bringing the blue more towards green.

On the second effected image, I noted that the "suppress noise" slider seemed to be involved.  If I kept it at none, I did not see the color shift.  I haven't had the time to go back to the first image, to see if that was the culprit there as well.

Has anyone else noticed this?  My workaround was to do the noise reduction in Ps before doing the conversion in Gigapixel, and that seemed to work OK.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Topaz Gigapixel and Color Shift
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 03:32:25 pm »

I have been trialing the new Gigapixel AI, and have noted an issue.

Which version number and Operating system? New versions are being released frequently, so just to make sure it hasn't already been addressed.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 07:16:14 pm »

Using the current v.4.0.3.  Mac OS 10.14.5.  I revisited this image, and reprocessed and did not use the suppress noise feature or any other.  The result was the same.  The "Blue Hour" had taken on a green cast, making it unusable.  I ended up printing the original image with a lower PPI setting as my only option.  I have used the app on a number of other images without problems, but with deep blues there seems to be a color shift.

bobfriedman

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:08:41 am »

I just experienced a pretty dramatic color shift with Sharpen AI.  Brown cast where there was white.
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 08:53:15 am »

Check that the color profile is properly handed.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

bobfriedman

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:56:25 am »

Check that the color profile is properly handed.

nope.. not the problem.. results are somewhat unpredictable with this s/w
Bob Friedman
pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 09:32:12 am »

Using the current v.4.0.3.  Mac OS 10.14.5.

FWIW, on Windows I just got an update notice. Version 4.1.1 has just been released. I assume that update will also be available on the Mac OS.

Also, I assume you use TIFFs as input, not Raws. If the colorshift persists in a reproducible manner, by all means, report it to the service people at Topaz. They are eager to help.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:39:01 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 07:49:41 pm »

The Topaz web site requested that I send them a copy of the file which was rendered improperly, so that they could research the issue, and address it in a future update.  I did so, even though my DSL connection took about an hour to upload the file.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 05:15:03 am »

The Topaz web site requested that I send them a copy of the file which was rendered improperly, so that they could research the issue, and address it in a future update.  I did so, even though my DSL connection took about an hour to upload the file.

Thanks for sending them the file. Now they have something tangible to train and fine-tune their AI models on.

Cheers,
Bart

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 01:22:28 pm »

Just finished processing and printing a different image with Gigapixel AI.  This image is high key, with broad expanses of nearly white, and the color was perfect.  The original file was shot on an older camera, and was a bit soft in the detail.  Gigapixel picked up the shrouds of a sailboat, and turned them into crisp, sharp lines rather than fuzzy ones.  Pretty amazing!

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »

Gigapixel AI 4.1.2 is out.  Changelog:

Improved processing models
Fixed issue that would only allow batch processing up to 508 images

Are you still seeing the problem with change of hue?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:53 pm »

Gigapixel AI 4.1.2 is out.  Changelog:

Improved processing models

I have not done extensive comparisons, but the results still do not cease to amaze me ...

Fixed issue that would only allow batch processing up to 508 images

That's very good news for those with powerful hardware and a desire to upsample video frames.

Are you still seeing the problem with change of hue?

Not experienced it myself, but I am glad that such apparently individual outliers are considered for general improvements to the AI models.

Of all of Topaz's AI applications, Gigapixel is a must have for all resampling operations, in my book anyway.

They are currently early beta-testing another new addition to the AI family, and the results are already looking fabulous.
There are some user requests for improved functionality/usability, but this might become another must-have from their AI series.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up