Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easter 2019 2  (Read 630 times)

Rob C

Easter 2019 2
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:39:44 am »

In colour, but I like b/w more:

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Easter 2019 2
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:52:11 am »

I'm still chewing one #1. Interestingly, #1 has more "depth" in it, so it becomes less about graphics, more about atmosphere. This one seems more flat (3d wise), so it becomes more about graphics which also makes the addition of the subtle color suitable. My attention is drawn toward the patterns in the raindrops on this one.

I have to admit that I probably am missing something, but these seem about atmosphere more than anything, and reg #1 I maintain: modern cars tend to kill atmosphere. Perhaps modern cars have become too comfortable, too purposeful. They are great shelter for weather like this and drive you from A to B in warmth, comfort, and safety. It's not like an oldskool convertible where a thin piece of cloth is all that separates you from the wrath of the raingods and a WWii pilot's leather jacket is required to stay warm.

As much as the bokeh of the nikkor may be sumptuous and all, I feel you are going fuzzier and fuzzier on us with each posting. I hope it is not a metaphor about the state of your mental capacity!?   :-\
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 09:52:44 am »

I'm still chewing one #1. Interestingly, #1 has more "depth" in it, so it becomes less about graphics, more about atmosphere. This one seems more flat (3d wise), so it becomes more about graphics which also makes the addition of the subtle color suitable. My attention is drawn toward the patterns in the raindrops on this one.

I have to admit that I probably am missing something, but these seem about atmosphere more than anything, and reg #1 I maintain: modern cars tend to kill atmosphere. Perhaps modern cars have become too comfortable, too purposeful. They are great shelter for weather like this and drive you from A to B in warmth, comfort, and safety. It's not like an oldskool convertible where a thin piece of cloth is all that separates you from the wrath of the raingods and a WWii pilot's leather jacket is required to stay warm.

As much as the bokeh of the nikkor may be sumptuous and all, I feel you are going fuzzier and fuzzier on us with each posting. I hope it is not a metaphor about the state of your mental capacity!?   :-\

I think you're probably right about the cars: photographically, we need 50s Yank tanks. We need chrome, highlights, crazy fins and returned windscreens. I love 'em, possibly because the first ones I remember (obviously no fins then!) were a '46 and then '48 Ford V8 that we had in India (looked identical, I think, except for the little lights in front: on one they were round, on the other rectangular). There used to be Hudsons, De Sotos, Studebakers - all the makes, and the best-looking of the lot that I saw, at the time, was a red Lincoln Capri that was used by the Governor of Madras State (I think!) and that was parked in our school one day. I would swear it had metallic paint, but I don't really know if that even existed back in the late 40s early 50s; it's how memory sees it today.

Much of my mindset has grown from the early exposure to Americana: from cars through music, it was US dominated - thank goodness! It came streaming into my head via Radio SEAC which was based out of Colombo, Ceylon, and after Independence became Radio Ceylon, a commercial station that played music pretty much all the time. Or that's what I remember listening to when I was home from boarding school. It was where I first heard David Jacobs, the velvet dj who went on to great things with the BBC.

Anyway, my photography, too, has been very much coloured by America - as it has for most of us, perhaps, and that probably includes some of the great European names still cutting it today. When I play this it makes me feel as emotional as if I were American too. Even Keef looks happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTKxIjZmfs

Thing is, my actual time there wasn't such a big deal. There's a difference between concept and reality, but even that's conditional and based on facing open/closed doors. You guys there: don't let anyone blow what you've got.

Regarding the photos, though, there is always the bitch that means the rain is never hard enough whenever I find myself in a place with exposed windows. (ยก'm usually safely at home at such times, too, which doesn't help a lot.) Most bars have little toldos - sunshades you unwind - which also keep rain off...

It's a miracle I get anything down on paper a screen.

To answer your worry re. mental capacity: maybe my mind is finally seeing the reality of life's fuzzy concept?

;-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:26:43 pm by Rob C »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 02:50:21 pm »

In colour, but I like b/w more:
I missed this one, thanks to the fact Lula i not anymore on Tapatalk.

Like it. Again high Saul Leiter feeling, thanks to the nice color tweak.

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 04:23:44 pm »

Usually I prefer b&w too, Rob.  In this case though, I feel your choice was spot on - I very much enjoy the moody image, and I like photographing on rainy days.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 04:46:52 pm »

Just the right amount of color.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up