Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Embedded preview in LR  (Read 1721 times)

mtakeda

Embedded preview in LR
« on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:51 pm »

Not all the time but I get this message on individual image at the library module and I can erase this by clicking the message and the image gets sharper. What is this and how can I exclude this all the time? Thank you for your help.

rdonson

Re: Embedded preview in LR
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:17:12 pm »

Which version of Lr are you using?  The latest Lr CC Classic 8.2.1?

Sounds like it might not have created a proper image on import.
Regards,
Ron

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:59:29 pm »

Not all the time but I get this message...

Which message?

mtakeda

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 11:57:48 pm »

I use the latest version. The mean sage or the indicator is “ embedded  preview”

Lustrous

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 02:20:34 am »

In the Import module change the option in the File Handling Panel to something other than "Embedded & sidecar"
eg.Use "Standard" instead, as this will force Lightroom to immediately create its own Previews when importing, rather than show the 'embedded' file that gets updated as soon as Lr is able. But this may be happening very slowly in your case.
 https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-the-difference-between-minimal-previews-standard-previews-and-11-previews/

mtakeda

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 06:00:29 am »

Thank you. Can you tell me how to get to the import module? Sorry for novice question.

thill1111

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 10:05:07 am »

\ Can you tell me how to get to the import module? Sorry for novice question.
When in Library mode, click on "Import" button on the lower left of window.  OR select "import photos and videos" under File menu.  It's the module you use to import everything, so you must know how to get there if you are importing anything to work on...

mtakeda

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 09:11:40 pm »

Thank you for your help.

mtakeda

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 03:08:10 am »

When I opened LR I found the setup went back to embedded preview again after I changed it to “ standard”.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:30 am »

In the Import dialog box, the Embedded and Sidecar option can be a good thing. Don't disable it simply to resolve something else that you don't understand.

Its purpose - why many of us like it - is to help when you are reviewing new pictures and deciding which to keep / trash / process.

Before E+S was introduced LR used to process the raw data when you zoomed into a raw file. But every raw file consists of large JPEGs "embedded" in the raw file, and zooming in on these can be much faster, which helps the more images you shoot. So the embedded and sidecar option was introduced to take advantage of these embedded previews.

With this option, you see the Embedded Preview message and a little icon with arrows (no, I don't see why they chose this). While these are there, in Library you see the camera maker's processing, like you see on the rear LCD. For a while, that is ideal for many of us. But if you then add some kind of LR adjustment, whatever the camera did is less important and Adobe's processing takes over. This explains the changing appearance.

Now I hope you understand what's going on, I recommend living with it for a while. You may decide that it's not for you, or you might see how you can take advantage of it.

John
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:39:53 am by john beardsworth »

mtakeda

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 07:03:21 pm »

Thank you for detailed explanation. I will keep it for the timing being. But just in case I would like to know how I can disable it. Thanks again for your help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 03:43:24 am »

You don't really disable it.

There's a menu command Library > Previews to tell LR to build its own previews. And if you never want E+S, you just have to make sure that in Import you choose a different option from the Build Previews dropdown box. Images will then be imported and performance affected accordingly.

What one is asking is "at what point do you want most speed?" If you typically import and then leave LR to it, maybe coming back after dinner or the following day, you may as well let LR build its own previews while you're away from your desk - so choose 1:1. But if you want to get on reviewing images straight away while LR continues importing others, then E+S has its advantages. I don't really see much virtue in the other options, but Minimal is fast to import but zooming in is slowest because LR then has to process the raw data to build each preview, while Standard is a half-way house that builds screen-size previews, not 1:1.

One other advantage of E+S is if you deliberately choose "camera styles", "picture controls" or "Fuji film simulations" when taking your photos. If so, E+S makes LR display those camera-baked looks.

John

mtakeda

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:03 pm »

Thank you. The problem is that it goes back to “ embedded preview” even after change it “ standard”.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 07:08:56 pm »

Thank you. The problem is that it goes back to “ embedded preview” even after change it “ standard”.

Have you tried quitting and restarting LR?

mtakeda

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »

I did but will do it again.

mtakeda

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 03:15:05 am »

I changed it to “standard” and close and restart. It did not make any difference. It always goes back to “embedded preview”.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2019, 07:04:19 am »

So after setting the option in Import to E+S, you then proceed to click the Import button? I'm not sure what forces the choice to be remembered, but it should be "sticky" - ie remembering the previous setting. In any case, it's always a good idea to review all the import dialog box's settings each time you import.

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2019, 01:06:02 pm »

As John said, that choice has been sticky for me for a looooong time.
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up