Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji experiences?  (Read 2133 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Fuji experiences?
« on: April 23, 2019, 11:19:07 pm »

Obviously, Phase have given up on low-end MF.
But, are the Fuji users here, or on Facebook?
What's the verdict on the 50R?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Christoph B.

Re: Fuji experiences?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 03:48:59 am »

GFX50s user here.

It's a great camera system but I wouldn't call it low-end MF at all.

The built quality is fantastic and the image quality is great. The lenses are....well..I'd say beyond belief sharp and very well controlled. The 32-64mm zoom is optically better than some Phase One prime lenses in the same range - even fully open.

The body has a good weight and the lenses are surprisingly heavy considering they are for a cropped MF. But as I said the lenses are amazing and deliver an amazing IQ and the stabilizer in the 120mm macro works wonders! I only wish they had a 32-64mm with a stabilizer but then it would probably be too heavy.

Focus is good, not great. Face detection works perfectly fine and just as fast and relaible as regular AF. the EYE-AF is bugged and can really ruin a shoot if you're not aware of that. So turn it off. Period.
Slow moving objects are not a problem, but everyhing faster than a walking human is a bit too fast - at least for now. Who knows what the next FW-update brings (if there is one).

Speaking of focus: it's focus by wire, so while that's fine for AF it's not too brilliant for MF and there's constant noise when you're using AF with all lenses, whether you're focussing or not.

Also it's a new system to the 2nd hand market is next to non-existent, especially with stuff like extension tubes which are very expensive.

The viewfinder is good and the screen at the back is fanstastic. I like using it much more than using the viewfinder, but it's good to have the option in bright light.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:40 am »

I got the 50s last summer, along with several lenses. I'll echo Christoph's comments. The camera is a pleasure to shoot with, the lenses are fantastic, and the files are superb. I recently added the 100-200mm f/5.6 zoom, and it's become one of my favorite lenses. Great for portraits as well as landscapes.

I expect all the same from the 50R, though having only seen online photos, I'm glad I got the 50S. I expect I would miss the hand grip and the EVF, as well as the vertical grip.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

pschefz

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:35:18 am »

only have experience with the 50S....extremely well thought out and made system, the tilt finder alone is a game changer....lenses are absolutely the best, for any system and all at a great price...
only problem is slow AF (when compared to mirrorless)
the realistic bigger problem might be how close cameras like the D850/A7RIII are in IQ.....it comes down to taste....the 100S will be a different animal, but so will the next sony(s)....i still prefer 4:3 and  always will....
dpreview just added the panasonic SR1 to their studio comparison.....the multi shot mode sample vs the phase 100 is interesting....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:48:24 am »

the realistic bigger problem might be how close cameras like the D850/A7RIII are in IQ.....it comes down to taste....

This is true, of course. The best full frame cameras are quite close in IQ to the 33x44mm sensor in the GFX series. This was not a problem for me in deciding on the 50S, since my other system is the Fujifilm X series, which has the APSC size sensor. Prior to that I used the Canon 1D series with its 1.3x "crop" sensor (with a slight detour into full frame with the 5Ds, which I didn't much like.) While I like the files I get from my X series cameras, the GFX-50S files blow them away for detail and exposure range.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Christoph B.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 06:08:52 pm »

the realistic bigger problem might be how close cameras like the D850/A7RIII are in IQ.....it comes down to taste....the 100S will be a different animal, but so will the next sony(s)....i still prefer 4:3 and  always will....

Well you said it yourself - 4:3 is a pretty good argument for the Fuji and I'm really glad they kept that format.

Most of the magazines I work for are close to 4:3 so there's little to no cropping happening with the Fuji files (8256x6192).

With the D850 I'd have to crop it down to at least 7340 x 5504 to keep the 4:3 ratio so that brings one down to 40MP. That's still a lot but a considerable step down from 50MP. Apart from that I believe that the larger sensor/pixel could also result in better micro-contrast and improved definition of detail but I don't have a good enough basis for comparison to make a final judgement on that.

Ghaag

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 08:38:39 pm »

only have experience with the 50S....extremely well thought out and made system, the tilt finder alone is a game changer....lenses are absolutely the best, for any system and all at a great price...
only problem is slow AF (when compared to mirrorless)
dpreview just added the panasonic SR1 to their studio comparison.....the multi shot mode sample vs the phase 100 is interesting....

I appreciate you referencing the dpreview comparison, the multi shot mode is very interesting.   

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:06:56 pm »

This is true, of course. The best full frame cameras are quite close in IQ to the 33x44mm sensor in the GFX series. . . .

The operative word here is "close."  I have a small printing studio and print files from every imaginable camera.  The differences between the best 24x36 sensors and my GFX 50s are, in my view (looking at many many prints from small to fairly large), visually significant in print, even if quantifiably small by the numbers. 

On the web or other display devices, it matters not.  For those uses, we'd all get along fine with a good quality point and shoot.  Oh, and these days I must add "leaning on the saturation controls."   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Christoph B.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 07:04:36 am »

I think the difference is due to the Fuji optics. I've shot with just about all brands but none of them had a lens that was as sharp with fully open apterture as the Fuji (especially not in the corners)

pschefz

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 12:00:26 pm »

Well you said it yourself - 4:3 is a pretty good argument for the Fuji and I'm really glad they kept that format.

Most of the magazines I work for are close to 4:3 so there's little to no cropping happening with the Fuji files (8256x6192).

With the D850 I'd have to crop it down to at least 7340 x 5504 to keep the 4:3 ratio so that brings one down to 40MP. That's still a lot but a considerable step down from 50MP. Apart from that I believe that the larger sensor/pixel could also result in better micro-contrast and improved definition of detail but I don't have a good enough basis for comparison to make a final judgement on that.
i have never really liked 35mm format, always preferred 3:4 and yes, i agree that the only real way to compare the files is to crop FF files to 3:4...and at that point there is a visible difference.....
but there is no magazine in the world that prints large (and high enough quality) to show that difference....
schefz.com
artloch.com

pschefz

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 12:02:46 pm »

I think the difference is due to the Fuji optics. I've shot with just about all brands but none of them had a lens that was as sharp with fully open apterture as the Fuji (especially not in the corners)
the lenses are just incredible....i do really like what sony does right now, their new glass is amazing but i still  feel that fuji just has that extra level of experience.....best glass out there right  now, nothing comes close....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Christoph B.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 02:59:23 pm »

i have never really liked 35mm format, always preferred 3:4 and yes, i agree that the only real way to compare the files is to crop FF files to 3:4...and at that point there is a visible difference.....
but there is no magazine in the world that prints large (and high enough quality) to show that difference....

Well that depends on how much they want to crop. When I'm shooting beauty portraits and they decided to crop a headshot to a close-up (almost macro) of the eye - well then I'm happy about every pixel I can still deliver.

mtakeda

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 07:37:39 pm »

The operative word here is "close."  I have a small printing studio and print files from every imaginable camera.  The differences between the best 24x36 sensors and my GFX 50s are, in my view (looking at many many prints from small to fairly large), visually significant in print, even if quantifiably small by the numbers. 

On the web or other display devices, it matters not.  For those uses, we'd all get along fine with a good quality point and shoot.  Oh, and these days I must add "leaning on the saturation controls."   ;D

Rand

Can you tell me more about your statement that you are leaning on the saturation control? Applying more saturation or something? Thank you.

Rand47

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 05:15:23 pm »

Can you tell me more about your statement that you are leaning on the saturation control? Applying more saturation or something? Thank you.

Sorry, that was a joke and intended as a reflection of my disdain for oversaturated, high contrast images - that seem to be de rigueur of late.  Sorry for the confusion.  "Step away from the saturation slider!"   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Harold Clark

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2019, 11:35:49 am »

Sorry, that was a joke and intended as a reflection of my disdain for oversaturated, high contrast images - that seem to be de rigueur of late.  Sorry for the confusion.  "Step away from the saturation slider!"   ;D

Rand

I agree wholeheartedly. Many photos today remind me of those garish velvet paintings that used to be sold out of a van at service stations.

faberryman

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 01:13:10 pm »

Sorry, that was a joke and intended as a reflection of my disdain for oversaturated, high contrast images - that seem to be de rigueur of late. 
I think they are already passé.
Pages: [1]   Go Up