Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Types for Older Printers  (Read 982 times)

dpirazzi

Media Types for Older Printers
« on: April 20, 2019, 04:10:00 pm »

According to Breathing Color, their profile for Vibrance Metallic on my Canon ipf8300 is based on a media type of Photo Paper Plus Glossy II (PPPG2). The problem is, there is no PPPG2 media type in the driver or on the printer. The media types I have available were loaded when I installed the printer driver, and I'm guessing that when the 8300 was introduced, the PPPG2 did not exist. I've tried reinstalling the latest drivers from Canon for this printer but did not pick up any new media types.

I've had similar issues with other Breathing Color papers. I'm currently printing using the media type Premium Glossy Paper 280 and get acceptable results but wonder if results could be better. I don't print enough on these papers to justify a custom profile.

Has anyone been able to download media types for newer papers for printing on older Canon printers?

Thanks, Dave

mearussi

Re: Media Types for Older Printers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 11:35:31 pm »

I'd call up BC and tell them your problem. They also make custom profiles for free.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 04:18:59 am »

The missing media type is most likely due to a localisation decision with the Canon drivers - somewhat bizarrely, Canon include different media types in their US, European and other drivers.

I had similar issues with trying to profile BCs Optica One and Elegance Velvet papers on an iPF8300 some years ago, where the recommended media type was simply not available in Canon's UK printer driver. I sent a technical enquiry to BC, and their expert suggested an alternative media type which they assured me had a similar ink load and should produce good results.

I've always found BC very helpful and, as mearussi said, they will also make free custom profiles for their papers if necessary. Suggest you email them and see what they can come up with.

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:56 am »

Hi DP,
I often use Canon photo paper Plus Glossy II,paper,if I need to send out a quick print to friends & relatives.
If you want to try my Canon ICC profile,let me know-I'm using a canon pro-10.;maybe it will give you better results.

Happy Easter,
Mike

Jim Metzger

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:05:44 am »

I have had great success with BC (free) custom profiles for their canvas on an Epson 7600.

When I first got my 7600 (2001 and still running) I was told one of the things you are paying for in a "professional" printer is consistency between units. Profiles supplied by the manufacturer would have responded similarly on all units. BC explained as older units age and drift from new condition they no longer respond to original profiles the same way.

dpirazzi

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 03:21:24 pm »

Thank you for the replies.

I have reached out to BC on several occasions, most recently regarding Vibrance Luster (supposedly built on PCPLP which does not seem to exist at Canon or in BC's own list of Canon Media Types). Michael Flanagan at BC responded that it should be RC Coated Photo Luster Paper (also does not exist) but I'm guessing he meant Premium RC Photo Luster, RCPL.

Maybe (probably) its the engineer in me, but providing a printer specific profile that claims to be built on a media type that is not available or does not exist for a that printer model does not inspire confidence. I like BC products, and there is nothing obviously wrong with the prints I'm getting, but how would I know if a different (correct) media type produced better results? Hence my curiosity about finding missing media types for my printer.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep communicating with BC, but this experience seems to be taking the 'science' out of Color Science.

dpirazzi

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 08:53:59 pm »

Mike, thanks for the generous offer, but I'm guessing there is enough difference between the Pro-10 and its inks and the 8300 that it would not help.

Happy Easter back at ya!

Hi DP,
I often use Canon photo paper Plus Glossy II,paper,if I need to send out a quick print to friends & relatives.
If you want to try my Canon ICC profile,let me know-I'm using a canon pro-10.;maybe it will give you better results.

Happy Easter,
Mike

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 11:13:46 am »

If you don't show certain media types on your computer, they may not have been loaded, but you can always add or remove (even create) them from the Media Configuration Tool.

You can download it here:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-imageprograf-printers/imageprograf-ipf8300/imageprograf-ipf8300?subtab=downloads-software

It's very easy to update/add the media type you don't have and if you don't use something, you can remove it so it doesn't take up space on the screen.
The name may be initialed  (PCPLP vs Premium Coated Photo Luster Paper) on the list of options (based on the manufacturer or media supplier like BC).  But download the MCT (Media Configuration Tool) and this should help update your list.  Many customers aren't aware of this from Canon's end, but it's a great tool.

dpirazzi

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 03:26:15 pm »

Thanks I.T.,

I have used the MCT, including downloading the latest media info for the 8300 from Canon (Master Media Information File), but still no PCPLP in the list. I've not been able to find a specific media type file for PCPLP online.

The MCT worked great for loading some custom media type files that I downloaded from BC.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2019, 06:11:43 pm »

Canon may not offer the Photo Paper Plus Glossy II for the large format printers since it was made more for the desktop models.  That may be the reason why you can't find it from the MCT unfortunately, but if you choose a different gloss or semi-gloss/luster media type, that should be fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up