Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 3359 times)

ThePhotoOp

• http://www.thephotoop.com
Dilemma
« on: August 22, 2005, 06:53:30 pm »

If your damage to your camera is visible in your prints then you should not wait.

In the good old film days I'd say fix it.

But if the sensor really is scrathed then it's not worth fixing.

But the protective cover over the CMOS maybe damaged, not the sensor.

If that is the case, at very least, just for the cost of shipping, you could find out what it costs to fix, or even if it is fixable.

But if you are determed to by a new camera, the 20D is an excellent choice.

My favorite non-canon lens as always been the Tamaron 24-105 2.8.  I love the range. it is perfect for 90% of my event photos.  My buddy owns one and wide open it is almost as sharp as my 24-70L. At F4 and above there is no visible differance IMO.

I have high hopes for the 24-105 IS.

The Tamaron is a #### fine lens.  When I get my hands on the 24-105 F4 IS, I will compare them directly and keep the one I like the best.  (I am a big fan of IS, but really like 2.8 also, so I'm torn...)

A 20D and Tamaron 24-105 2.8 is a great combo on a budget!

Peace,
Jim
Jim Bianchi
The Photo Op
Digital G

jd1566

Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 08:44:33 am »

If you're not going to have much time for photography, then to invest now in a new digital camera may not be the right choice.  Camera models are being replaced so rapidly that by the time you dust off your current model, or the 20D which you go and buy now.. there may be radically different products available that are probably cheaper and offer more features and higher resolution.
That said, I own a 20D and am very happy with it and the resoluton that the 8.2mpixel chip offers.  I print on A4 and A3 paper and am very happy with the results.  What does bother me about the 20D is the small viewfinder and wide angle photography, but as the 5D will soon be available I may upgrade to that.. However I photograph quite often and use my cameras so I am perhaps in a different boat to you.  

So you really need to work out if your occasional shooting justifies upgrading now.  The 20D will be a huge improvement though in usability over the 300D, but so would the 350D which is just as capable in giving you real-world improvements such as fast start-up time (NR 1 FEATURE!) as well as the extra pixels to work with.  Keep in mind that 6 and 8mpixels are comparable qualitywise.. Save money and go for the 350D if you have to upgrade now.. or wait for the 20D replacement when it comes along in 6 months time...

Regarding the lens choice it really depends on what you are shooting and how many lenses you want to cart around.  All the lenses you mentionned are great on a full-frame body, but on a 1.6 crop factor they are not nearly as practical.  Much rather go for a wider angle zoom lens, if you can.  The Tamron 28-105 f2.8 is a nice concept but keep in mind the weight, more than the camera!  Ditto for the 24-70 2.8L.  Why not consider the 17-85 IS EF-S lens.. Yes, it's a reduced frame lens, but it gives you a true 28-135 field of view which is eminently more practical than the lenses you mentionned.  As I said, your choice will have more to do with your style of shooting.  Also, consider that even though this lens is made only for 1.6 crop frames, those sensors are here to stay... full frame chips will get cheaper but you'll always pay a premium for that.

Good luck with your choices.
B&W photographer - Still lifes, Portrait

Faan

• http://faan.31tigersqn.be
Dilemma
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 11:58:31 am »

I have a BIG dilemma, maybe your knowledge can help me out!!!

Do I now buy a 20D + grip, or should I still wait another year for the new body and now buy a 24-70L...
I’m worried sick the past 2 weeks.

If I buy an L lens, will I be busy with photography so fanatic in the next years as I am now? From next year on, my 2 and most hard years at the university begin, afterwards maybe even less time becaus I will join the army or go to work.

Sometimes I really hate my 300D because: I have 3 scratches on the CMOS sensor (visible from F16.0 and up); when shooting at continues it’s way to slow and the buffer only holds 4 pics; no choise in lightmetering (and I do much more than spotting, so sometimes it realy sucks, also see my website).
But sometimes is it not terrible, sometimes I can still wait another year, sometimes I cannot wait for upgrade to happen.

Or do I now buy the 20D+grip; and a Sigma, Tokina or Tamron F2.8. I have seen in the meantime probable already 50 reviews and testpics of each lens.

Tamron 28-75 F2.8: clearly to trust the most and is the best, only I still have serious doubts about the construction, certainly compared to the Sigma and Tokina. And admit it, the other lenses look a lot tougher :-)
Sigma 24-70 F2.8: if you have a good one, no complaints. Lots receive a bad one: way too soft over the whole range.
Tokina 28-80 F2.8: minimal focus distance 80cm, to far away compared to the 13 cm of Tamron. If you receive a good one, no real complaints execpt a little too soft at 2.8. If bad; much too soft under F5.6 (!!!why do you buy a F/2.8 then) and the many distortion and flare. But, build like a hammer!!!

If option 2: do I, after a few years, go for the L lens because I am not satisfied anymore by the other one? Or am I still happy and save for an L tele… Everything depends on my next few years. I can also wait, but I have worked so hard in the holidays (5 weeks, 6 days a week, from 6.30am to 2pm) that and I want spoil myself with the earned money…

I am really getting crazy on this because I don't know what the next years will bring, how the other lenses are etc...

The majority thinks I should go for the 20D + grip and save for the Tamron...

Greetings,
Faan

Faan

Dilemma
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 07:36:02 pm »

If your damage to your camera is visible in your prints then you should not wait.

In the good old film days I'd say fix it.

But if the sensor really is scrathed then it's not worth fixing.

But the protective cover over the CMOS maybe damaged, not the sensor.

If that is the case, at very least, just for the cost of shipping, you could find out what it costs to fix, or even if it is fixable.

But if you are determed to by a new camera, the 20D is an excellent choice.

My favorite non-canon lens as always been the Tamaron 24-105 2.8.  I love the range. it is perfect for 90% of my event photos.  My buddy owns one and wide open it is almost as sharp as my 24-70L. At F4 and above there is no visible differance IMO.

I have high hopes for the 24-105 IS.

The Tamaron is a #### fine lens.  When I get my hands on the 24-105 F4 IS, I will compare them directly and keep the one I like the best.  (I am a big fan of IS, but really like 2.8 also, so I'm torn...)

A 20D and Tamaron 24-105 2.8 is a great combo on a budget!

Peace,
Jim
Thx for the reply. I send my body to Canon once for a mirror-problem. They said it would cost around 400 euro's to replace the sensor... 20D is a better option then I believe. Thx for the tamron advice, will look into it.

Faan

Dilemma
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:41:44 pm »

Thx, I already decided to wait for a body upgrade, next purchase will be a lens.
As you can notice on my website, I only use wide angle for 5% of my pics... So if I occasionally need the wide angle, I can still fall back on my Canon 18-55. I just had the Tamron and Sigma EX Macro in my hands. That Sigma feels much better build then the Tamron, and has a 4mm more wideangle... I noticed all the soft pics of the Sigma at F2.8 are from the DF version, and all the sharp pics come from Macro versions. So next Friday the store will have both lenses with Canon mount (only had Nikon and Minolta in stock...) and I will make some test shots then...
Pages: [1]   Go Up