Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help a newbie  (Read 6250 times)

didger

help a newbie
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:00:24 am »

If you have a camera, go out and take some pictures.  If you don't have a camera, go out and buy one and then go out and take some pictures.

What kind of help are you looking for?  You need to be a lot more specific.

guy

help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 09:36:32 am »

Start off at your local bookstore and look for titles by Galen Rowell, John Shaw, Jack Dykinga etc. These will help you get a better idea of what works and what interests you personally, as well as provide some tips on equipment and technique.
Once you have the basics - as the others said - just do it!

When you have something to show - post it for critique. There are some great online communities on the Internet for this very purpose (try http://www.naturephotographers.net for example).

Guy

mickey

help a newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 05:33:49 pm »

well right now for gear i have the D-rebel and the rebel TI
a good heavy tripod and a tle. lens and a 2x converter.

I have been doing this for a little while but would like to do something other then just portrait work . would like to make something that would work for a calender that type of stuff something that might be salable to some one LOL

i do allot of B&W right now and have a series of prints that i started to do of lost in time buildings etc... most were of things in the area. nothing fancy.as far as posting do you need a web site for it?
or can i upload to the fourm to post them?

mickey

help a newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 07:20:34 pm »

ok thanks i will look in to the 50mm lens I would liek to find a good wide angel anyway. did get one of those fish eye filter deals it woroks but not as well as i would like it to .

as far as the images that works for me i have a site just have to use it i guess LOL
right now i am useing it more for storage of some of the prints i have. so i will set it up so i can upload to here with it.

Thansk agian for the help on this

mickey

help a newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 12:09:29 am »

any help tha tyou could give to a person wanting to do landscape photos?

francois

help a newbie
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 07:56:51 am »

Spend your time outside, take photos and be critical. Ask yourself why some work and why others don't.
I know Christmas is coming but don't spend too much money on gear.

Francois
Francois

didger

help a newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 10:05:50 am »

When you have something to show - post it for critique
A very good idea, especially critique of technical (Photoshop) issues.  However, don't let anyone discourage you if their aesthetics happen to differ from your own and they push their trip too hard and also realize that flames coming your way reflect far far more poorly on the flamer than the flamee.  I speak as an extremely experienced "flamee" and I'm nevertheless still unburned and very enthused and confident about my work.

Just do it, and have fun, and above all, trust yourself.

didger

help a newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 07:01:55 pm »

For landscape work, I assume you're aware that you need at least one wide angle lens.  I'd recommend the Tamron 17-35mm.  It's not great for a full frame DSLR at short focal lengths, but it's fabulous for 1.6x cameras at every focal length and aperture.  I have this lens and I can recommend it unhesitatingly.  Test a few samples before you buy, however.  I would also consider the Canon 50mm f2.5 compact macro.  It's an absolutely world class lens, inexpensive, and very light.

With a kit like this you should be able to get fairly decent prints up to 16x20 and sell them at art and craft fairs, if you want.  Galleries and stock houses are very tough, especially with 6 Mpixel files.

To post pictures here you have to upload to a website and then in the buttons above the window where you type your messages click on the one that says "Image" and paste the URL for your picture into the window that comes up.  That's all there's to it, but you do need to be able to upload your pictures to a website.
Pages: [1]   Go Up