Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tony Northrup misunderstands diffraction  (Read 2831 times)

Aram Hăvărneanu

Tony Northrup misunderstands diffraction
« on: April 16, 2019, 03:30:31 am »

If you want to have a good laugh, here is youtube star, photography educator, author, and photographer Tony Northrup misunderstand diffraction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIRz9e2v3Y.

He thinks diffraction is not yet fully understood, and comes with his own hypothesis about what causes it.

I first had to check it wasn't April 1st, but sadly it isn't. The video appears to be serious. I thought he used to be an engineer.

Enjoy!

faberryman

Re: Tony Northrup misunderstands diffraction
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 09:58:49 am »

If you want to have a good laugh, here is youtube star, photography educator, author, and photographer Tony Northrup misunderstand diffraction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuIRz9e2v3Y.

He thinks diffraction is not yet fully understood, and comes with his own hypothesis about what causes it.

I first had to check it wasn't April 1st, but sadly it isn't. The video appears to be serious. I thought he used to be an engineer.

Tony Northrup misunderstands a lot of things, but he does so with with self confidence and an authoritative air, which apparently is all that matters. Frankly, I don't see the draw.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:29:11 am by faberryman »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:28 am »

Lots of self confidence. I watched them discuss Leica digital and film cameras a couple of years ago. Lot's of misinformation, but presented with authority none-the-less.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:28:53 am »

The attraction to Tony's videos is named Chelsea.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »

Someone cares to summarize what he is saying wrong?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 03:08:27 pm »

He usually present himself as an expert about subjects he really does not know very well. Does it sound familiar?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 03:55:04 pm »

If any of the viewers have problems understanding what he is saying, you can look at the diffraction and corresponding sharpness (or lack of sharpness) in the images he included in his video (small aperture and large aperture). I liked the sharper versions.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 04:13:32 pm »

This is simply a by-product of looking at videos where people pontificate. Best devote that time to looking at portfolios of famous shooters. Some are really good and worth the fame - and occasional fortune.

Once you know how the camera works well enough to coax it into giving you an image, you can pretty much teach yourself all you need to know until you reach the point where you want to get into the finer reaches of using something like Photoshop, at which moment you open the lid to Pandora's famous box.

You can be an excellent film photographer and darkroom expert, but digital is something totally else, cloaked in impenetrable veils of mystery that can stump anyone who has never done it before. The single great advantage you have as a film photographer is that you go on to digital with an established sense of print/photographic aesthetics that can save you from the more crass deviations that digital tries to use to seduce the unwary.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 05:02:04 pm »

He usually present himself as an expert about subjects he really does not know very well...

I gathered that already from the posts above, but it still doesn’t answer my question. I really have no intention of watching 20 minute videos from some rando from the Internet without first knowing why.

faberryman

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:40:13 pm »

I gathered that already from the posts above, but it still doesn’t answer my question. I really have no intention of watching 20 minute videos from some rando from the Internet without first knowing why.
There is no reason to watch a Tony Northrup video.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:43:26 pm »

There is no reason to watch a Tony Northrup video.

Yeah, better to watch some gardening clips or how to convert a van to a camper.

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 09:32:43 pm »

. . .  The single great advantage you have as a film photographer is that you go on to digital with an established sense of print/photographic aesthetics that can save you from the more crass deviations that digital tries to use to seduce the unwary.

This should be carved on a rock, somewhere.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 10:22:52 pm »

This should be carved on a rock, somewhere.

Rand
+1.
Rob often spouts true wisdom.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 03:53:52 am »

+1.
Rob often spouts true wisdom.

Waddya mean, often?

The operative word is always!

That shows the single benefit of age: you have made most of the mistakes youth is still hoping to make, but with unrealistic dreams of the consequences.

;-)

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 03:55:35 am »

He thinks that diffraction is caused by photons being attracted to the aperture blades, interacting with the electrons of the atoms of the material making up the aperture. Unsurprisingly, he says that scientists don't really understand this bit. That would be because it's wrong.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 04:55:21 am »

...The single great advantage you have as a film photographer is that you go on to digital with an established sense of print/photographic aesthetics that can save you from the more crass deviations that digital tries to use to seduce the unwary.

That is very true and is probably why I now feel uncomfortable making adjustments or manipulations that I could not have done in the wet darkroom.

That said I now enjoy the processes so much more in the digital darkroom.

jeremyrh

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 05:30:40 am »

I unsubscribed from Northrup's channel after the short time it took me to realise that he talks bilge, but resubscribed to benefit from comedy gold like this.  It's been a quick progression from trashing cameras (Nikon) to trashing photographers (McCurry) to trashing the laws of physics.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 05:39:18 am »

He thinks that diffraction is caused by photons being attracted to the aperture blades, interacting with the electrons of the atoms of the material making up the aperture. Unsurprisingly, he says that scientists don't really understand this bit. That would be because it's wrong.

When I first learned to drive a car behind the iron curtain, one part of the course and exam was a technical section where we had learn and demonstrate knowledge of the internal combustion engines, including ignition, coil, carburetor for 2 stroke, 4 stroke and diesel cars. Surprisingly, most westerners didn't have a clue about these things. But they knew how to start the engine, press a brake, and pilot the car to the nearest fast food restaurant or to a drive-in movie theatre.

Similarly, most photographers don't need to know the characteristics of the photons passing through the shutter and arriving on the sensor, all they need to know is that smaller aperture results in the loss of absolute sharpness (and in some cases also in appearance of dust spots, primarily in the sky). And that was the main lesson Tony was trying to impart to his subscribers.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 06:02:13 am »

You certainly don't need to know physics to be a good photographer, but you do need to know physics to talk about physics. Even if you are a photographer.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 06:16:04 am by Aram Hăvărneanu »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24:05 am »

Same as the black hole phenomena.
I don't need to know the physics behind it, but my preference is not to eat anything with black holes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up