Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: William Neill Interview  (Read 3369 times)

JeffS

William Neill Interview
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:58:40 am »

Hey Josh, if you want far more in depth, personal discussion with William, there’s a neat site called Luminous Landscape that has almost two hours of videos....

https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/masters-william-neill/

Jeff

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
Re: William Neill Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 05:30:21 am »

Jeff,

This is a new piece about a new book by William. I suggest reading it to find out more.
Or you can simply enjoy the images which are his own selection and show a small cross section of his celebrated career. They are a testament to a very generous and refined photographer, one I enjoy communicating with very much.

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:18:21 am »

Hey Josh, if you want far more in depth, personal discussion with William, there’s a neat site called Luminous Landscape that has almost two hours of videos....

Hey Jeff, why so snarky?

JeffS

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 08:40:45 am »

I thought Kevin’s video series were among his best contributions to the site.  The two hours of edited footage with William Neill provided some great insights into William’s thought processes and techniques, even using some of the very same pictures posted in Josh’s article.  He brought his mindset to life, including quotes from his mentors and inspirations. And since the series exists on this very site (likely unbeknownst to some viewers), I thought a brief mention by Josh for a returning guest would have been a helpful, and appropriate, gesture.  Book promotions are nice, but this could have benefited from some rich context. And, as I’ve written earlier, this is the very sort of in depth video project that I would like to see more of on this site. Others may disagree.

DaveL

• http://
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 09:16:11 am »

I am humbled meeting the fine photographers and sages here.

We all learn different ways; what works for one won't work for another.

thanks for pointing out the value of old content. Let's hope William Neill participates here for a long time.

Dan Wells

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 10:50:17 am »

The William Neill interview is about the best piece I've seen on LuLa since Michael's day (and I appreciate written interviews)... This (and many of Alain Briot's reflections) are the kind of content that doesn't show up on other photography sites.

Josh, would you consider allowing free access to a limited number of articles for non-members? This has an audience outside of photographers - In addition to being a landscape photographer, I am an incoming student at Harvard Divinity School this fall, especially interested in our spiritual connection to the natural world (after a first half of a career spent as an ecologist). I can think of a lot of divinity school folks who'd find this fascinating and gorgeous, but aren't serious photographers, so they wouldn't be likely subscribers.

Maybe the way to do it is to give members some number of article passes each year, either to let one person see an article, or as something you can forward to multiple people in an email? I don't know what the technical issues might be, or whether there would be a worry about losing subscribers by letting people pass articles around?

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:58:41 am »

The William Neill interview is about the best piece I've seen on LuLa since Michael's day (and I appreciate written interviews)... This (and many of Alain Briot's reflections) are the kind of content that doesn't show up on other photography sites.

Josh, would you consider allowing free access to a limited number of articles for non-members? This has an audience outside of photographers - In addition to being a landscape photographer, I am an incoming student at Harvard Divinity School this fall, especially interested in our spiritual connection to the natural world (after a first half of a career spent as an ecologist). I can think of a lot of divinity school folks who'd find this fascinating and gorgeous, but aren't serious photographers, so they wouldn't be likely subscribers.

Maybe the way to do it is to give members some number of article passes each year, either to let one person see an article, or as something you can forward to multiple people in an email? I don't know what the technical issues might be, or whether there would be a worry about losing subscribers by letting people pass articles around?

Appreciate the suppport and comment.
To answer your question: yes, I’ve been considering the rules for how to offer some (the appropriate) content to non members for just the reasons you suggest.
Still considering how that breakdown will be made.

Thanks again

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 12:16:30 pm »

I enjoyed the article and it worked on me. I bought the book!
I have seen at least one of the older videos but had forgotten about them.

William's approach and feelings toward nature and landscape photography very much mirrors my own feelings.
I'm looking forward to checking out the book, both for inspiration and just pure appreciation.
-MattB

William Neill

• Contributor
    • William Neill Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:30:43 pm »

First, I want to thank you all for checking out the interview. I was so fortunate to travel to Antarctica with Michael, Kevin and Chris on their 2014 trip. An added bonus was to meet Josh on that trip also.

The video:
https://luminous-landscape.com/videos/masters-william-neill/
The essays, including one on the Antarctica trip:
https://luminous-landscape.com/author/william-neill/

I was happy to share some newer work in the interview, and I enjoyed replying to Josh's insightful questions.

If you haven't visited my website, you will find a large volume of images you've never seen before that are hiding out in the portfolios.

Cheers,  William Neill

JeffS

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 02:03:20 pm »

Jeff,

This is a new piece about a new book by William. I suggest reading it to find out more.
Or you can simply enjoy the images which are his own selection and show a small cross section of his celebrated career. They are a testament to a very generous and refined photographer, one I enjoy communicating with very much.

Josh

I know about the book.  Neill wrote about here two years ago, in an article from Kevin.  It was released in March, 2018.  I was impressed then, and still am.

https://luminous-landscape.com/the-long-road-william-neill-photographer-a-retrospective/

Jeff

William Neill

• Contributor
    • William Neill Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:14:48 am »

To follow my photography, visit my blog and sign up for newsletters here:  http://portfolios.williamneill.com/blog.

For example, my favorite images for 2018 can be found here:  http://www.williamneill.com/blog/index.php/2018/12/my-favorite-photographs-of-2018/

ramd41@gmail.com

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 09:26:38 pm »

I found Josh's questions of William Neil pedantic and self-indulgent.  "It seems clear that there is always a desire for the artist to share their central proposition. I believe yours might be something like this – there is indeed ultimate truth and inherent beauty. We are integrative elements within the environment, and the only way to honor 'her' is to observe and respectfully allow ourselves to become responsible parts of that environment. I hope that’s close to it! Can you elaborate on this topic of inherent or objective beauty?"  How about a simple question: William, what constitutes objective beauty in your work?  It's not about you, Josh, it's about the person you are interviewing.  You needn't suggest the answer in your question.  Bill Neill is completely capable of fashioning his own answer without your assistance.  Fortunately, Mr. Neill didn't take the bait and answered the question in his own straight-forward manner. For goodness sake, let the interview breath a little.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 06:30:31 pm »

... How about a simple question: William, what constitutes objective beauty in your work?  It's not about you, Josh, it's about the person you are interviewing.  You needn't suggest the answer in your question.  Bill Neill is completely capable of fashioning his own answer without your assistance...

That is an unfair criticism and a rather simplistic view on the role of an interviewer. Any halfwitted intern, if Josh had one, even without ever seeing a single image of Mr. Neill, could have come up with such a question above. Or: "Tell me more about your work, Mr. Neill."

Art is a communication. A dialog between the artist and a viewer. Sometimes silent, sometimes verbal. Art does not exist without its impact and imprint on a viewer. Therefore, it is perfectly legitimate for a viewer, in this case the interviewer, to express their views and how they perceive the art. That's what a dialog is, not two monologues, past each other, but an engaged conversation. In this particular case, Mr. Neill could agree or disagree with the Josh's premise, or offer his own views.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 10:00:49 pm »

That is an unfair criticism and a rather simplistic view on the role of an interviewer. Any halfwitted intern, if Josh had one, even without ever seeing a single image of Mr. Neill, could have come up with such a question above. Or: "Tell me more about your work, Mr. Neill."

Art is a communication. A dialog between the artist and a viewer. Sometimes silent, sometimes verbal. Art does not exist without its impact and imprint on a viewer. Therefore, it is perfectly legitimate for a viewer, in this case the interviewer, to express their views and how they perceive the art. That's what a dialog is, not two monologues, past each other, but an engaged conversation. In this particular case, Mr. Neill could agree or disagree with the Josh's premise, or offer his own views.
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 04:35:53 am »

Girls, girls! Think of Shakespeare's great work: Much Ado about Nothing... that was also included in a First Folio if not, perhaps, in one of LuLa's.

But hey, speaking about comedies, we have yet another non-politician comedian elected to public office, so war in Ukraine will end, Putin retreat in abject fear and the Donald have a new companion whose hand to hold tightly, very tightly, in unholy wedlock! NK is sure to crumble next.

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 09:04:59 am »

Girls, girls! Think of Shakespeare's great work: Much Ado about Nothing... that was also included in a First Folio if not, perhaps, in one of LuLa's.

But hey, speaking about comedies, we have yet another non-politician comedian elected to public office, so war in Ukraine will end, Putin retreat in abject fear and the Donald have a new companion whose hand to hold tightly, very tightly, in unholy wedlock! NK is sure to crumble next.

;-)

Oh, no! Seems like bots have definitely penetrated LuLa, posting seemingly sensical collection of unrelated words and subjects!? 😉*

* Sorry, Rob, couldn’t resist
Pages: [1]   Go Up