Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer speakers recommendation  (Read 1361 times)

aviv1887

Computer speakers recommendation
« on: April 13, 2019, 04:28:37 pm »

I like to upgrade my JBL computer speakers.  What do people recommend is a good set up?  It would mostly be used to play music on my work station in my studio.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

faberryman

Re: Computer speakers recommendation
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 05:34:17 pm »

I like to upgrade my JBL computer speakers.  What do people recommend is a good set up?  It would mostly be used to play music on my work station in my studio.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
JBL certainly makes a decent speaker. What sort of budget did you have in mind?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 06:12:04 pm »

If the budget allows, get a good stereo. I have a Linn system. And connect the computer output to it. And it can play radio and CDs.

Doug Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:37:17 pm »

I have found these to be a decent value in computer speakers when quality matters.  With that said, remember that speakers are the end of a long chain.  If the file is low quality/really compressed or the sound card in the computer is low quality, good speakers are not going to sound good.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-thx-certified-computer-speaker

They are sold by many stores/sellers.

You can often find these for sale used for a good price.  That can be a great deal BUT you want to buy a set that isn't more than a few years old.  Older sets, like many stereo components that are more than a few years old, were often made with capacitors that were substandard and are now failing.

Doug
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 01:41:52 pm by Doug Fisher »

aviv1887

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 01:49:19 pm »

I forgot to mention a price range, somewhere between $200-$500.   Linn looks like a nice system but a little overkill and expensive since it's just for my work space.  Yes, Klipsch seems to be a pretty good set. 

gchappel

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 05:51:38 pm »

I have been using AudioEngine 5+ for several years.  Nice speakers.
I do have a large Dunlavy, Pass, Oracle system for music, mainly listen to vinyl.
No the 5+ do not hold a candle to the Dunlavy's- but cost about 1/20th the amount.
I am happy with them.  They are a little larger, but if you have the room they work well.
Gary

aviv1887

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 12:58:03 pm »

I looked at the Audioengine speakers and they look nice an compact with a pretty good sound.  I'm pretty sure I'm going for one of those.  I found this nice English brand called Ruark but they're unavailable in the US.  Thanks all for your help.

elliot_n

faberryman

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 02:14:39 pm »

I looked at the Audioengine speakers and they look nice an compact with a pretty good sound.  I'm pretty sure I'm going for one of those.  I found this nice English brand called Ruark but they're unavailable in the US.  Thanks all for your help.
If you have a local Guitar Center, they carry about two dozen powered stereo monitors in different sizes and price points. All would be a step up from your current setup.

aviv1887

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:27 am »

Thank you all for the kind suggestions.  I'm going to look into it.

sandymc

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:41 am »

Behringer MS40. Designed for musicians, so good sound for the price, and multiple inputs including analog, digital and optical.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS40--behringer-ms40-4.75-inch-powered-monitor-system-with-spdif
Pages: [1]   Go Up