Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there life beyond Lightroom / Capture One?  (Read 507 times)

jrp

Is there life beyond Lightroom / Capture One?
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:25:09 pm »

I've mainly stuck with Lightroom because it supports the cameras / lenses that I use and is reasonably simple to use and generates reasonable results, even if I need to go into Photoshop to improve local contrast or edit things out, eg.

I have tried Capture One, on and off, over the years, but it's expensive, doesn't / didn't support the cameras that I was using (they had some petty spat with Leica, eg) and even now, it is not clear what cameras v12 supports.  Panasonic S1 series anyone?

I note that a few new products appeared after Adobe went subscription only.  Have any of these made it into viable products for advanced users?  I know that Apple and Microsoft are building more support for raw conversion into their OSs.  Given the resources and access to talent that these giants have, perhaps they and / or the likes of Google will obviate the need for additional processors at some point.

Can anyone offer a strengths / weaknesses assessment of the field?

faberryman

Re: Is there life beyond Lightroom / Capture One?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 01:28:39 pm »

You pays your money and takes your choice.

jrp

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:26:48 pm »

Thank you for those words of wisdom.  The point of soliciting others' views is to be better informed before making my choice.

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 02:33:48 pm »

Thank you for those words of wisdom.  The point of soliciting others' views is to be better informed before making my choice.
Who knows which program is going to click with you? I use Lightroom and have tried Capture One. A lot of good that is going to do you in making a decision. You just have to try them out. I'd steer clear of Luminar. I hate their marketing approach.

David Good

• David Good Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:26:00 pm »

There are many out there now, whichever one you choose will have a learning curve. I went from LR to C1 to RawTherapee (currently). It can be a bit overwhelming at first glance but once you settle into the tools you wish to use it's conversions can rival the "big guys". It does not however have a DAM so is not a one-stop solution for high volume shooters. Check it out, it's free and due for a new release soon.
Dave
David Good Photography

jrp

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:57:35 pm »

Indeed there are, which is partly why I am asking.

I did try RawTherapee a year or two back, and while it was fun to have a lot of sliders to play with, they were a bit unresponsive, which made the app slow to use.

In the meantime, we have had the likes of OneOne and Luminar appear on the scene.  What are their characteristics relative to the incumbents?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »

I no longer use LR or PS. If I really need a PS type program I use Affinity Photo. It is inexpensive and quite powerful. For images that are really critical for color and detail I will use C1. For most images I use OnOne Photo Raw. On1 is not perfect but what is nice is the completely non destructive layered workflow. It has some quite good masking although can be a bit slow at times. Speed is nice but I can relax and take my time editing. Nothing is perfect, most software has a learning curve. I personally did not care that much for Luminar and still don't even with the cataloging.  Editing to me is relaxing and kind of therapeutic, I enjoy seeing the image "develop". I was originally a long time LR (since the beginning) and PS user since V3, but I have no regrets leaving the Adobe fold after LR 6 and PScs6.

Most software has trial periods. though hard to establish a workflow until you spend time with them. On1 has a lot of tutorial videos and they have their "plus" memberships which has a lot of courses available. Though there are far more tutorials available for Adobe products. Affinity Photo has a lot of quite tutorials online that are freely available. You need to find something that works for you. So the answer to your question there is definitely life beyond Adobe and Capture One.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

jrp

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:18:15 pm »

Thanks. V helpful.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:33:32 am »

+1 on Affinity. I have never used Photoshop so I don't know what Affinity lacks compared to PS. I only know that Affinity does more than I'll probably need. But I'm not a professional and rarely do heavy pixel-level editing or compositing, so I don't really know how Affinity compares to PS for those things. Affinity has an extensive suite of video tutorials, so it's easy to get an overview of its capabilities. But it is a one-photo-at-a-time application.

If you need to process large numbers of photos the way that Aperture did, then you also need another tool. I use Corel's After Shot Pro 3 (formerly Bibble Pro), but it is (or was) Mac only. I occasionally shoot large numbers of photos at cycling races and it makes migrating edits to many photos very easy, on a par with Aperture. It also supports lots of editing tools, including layers, but not a full complement of pixel-level editing tools. There are many plug-ins available. Sorry, but I am not familiar enough with LR to make a comparison. You can download documentation about ASP3 and read what it can do, might give you an idea if it's suitable.
--
Robert robertroaldi.zenfolio.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up