Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving up to Medium Format  (Read 6028 times)

abrehm

Moving up to Medium Format
« on: November 07, 2006, 11:06:50 pm »

Or at least I hope to.  I plan on buying into the Mamiya 645AFD system and had a few questions that I hoped those of you who know could help me out with.  

1.  I noticed that the 35mm lens has the largest filter diameter of 77mm.  The largest filter size I have for my Canon gear is a 77 mm (17-40), so will I be able to use all the filters I have purchased for my Canon gear (CPL and HiTec ND Grads) on the Mamiya gear with no vignetting?

2.  I often use a 70-200 on my Canon gear (which I think goes to 320 on a cropped sensor).  I see that Mamiya only makes a 300 mm lens for the 645 format which is equivalent to 182mm.  Is there any other option for longer focal lengths for the 645 format or is there just no demand for that type of gear and would be better suited using my Canon gear in those situations?  This could be a pivotal point as I often use longer focal lengths to compress distances in my landscapes.

Sorry if these are elementary questions.

Andy

erikhillard

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 12:26:58 am »

I wouldn't forsee you having any problems with your 77mm filters.  I presume they would be the same filters you would purchase for the Mamiya anyway.  Might need to be careful with lens shades though.

I haven't seen many lenses longer than 300mm for medium format cameras.  Thats pretty darn long in the MF world.

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

tonypassera

• http://www.blueirisphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:51:07 am »

Or at least I hope to.  I plan on buying into the Mamiya 645AFD system and had a few questions that I hoped those of you who know could help me out with. 

1.  I noticed that the 35mm lens has the largest filter diameter of 77mm.  The largest filter size I have for my Canon gear is a 77 mm (17-40), so will I be able to use all the filters I have purchased for my Canon gear (CPL and HiTec ND Grads) on the Mamiya gear with no vignetting?

2.  I often use a 70-200 on my Canon gear (which I think goes to 320 on a cropped sensor).  I see that Mamiya only makes a 300 mm lens for the 645 format which is equivalent to 182mm.  Is there any other option for longer focal lengths for the 645 format or is there just no demand for that type of gear and would be better suited using my Canon gear in those situations?  This could be a pivotal point as I often use longer focal lengths to compress distances in my landscapes.

Sorry if these are elementary questions.

Andy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you go to www.mamiya.com and do a search on '645 lenses', you'll find that
Mamiya makes a 500mm f/4.5 APO in 645 mount, as well as a 2x converter.
I'd expect the 500mm to be quite expensive, especially at this aperture.  But
the 2x converter is probably pretty reasonable.
Tony

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 01:29:35 am »

If you go to www.mamiya.com and do a search on '645 lenses', you'll find that
Mamiya makes a 500mm f/4.5 APO in 645 mount, as well as a 2x converter.
I'd expect the 500mm to be quite expensive, especially at this aperture.  But
the 2x converter is probably pretty reasonable.
Tony
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Price in Japan appears to be 182.000 Yen for the manual focus 500 mm for Mamiya 645, but it only opens at f6.

[a href=\"http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0001DQOG0/sr=1-38/qid=1162966965/ref=sr_1_38/250-3720032-0229859?ie=UTF8&s=electronics]http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0001DQ...8&s=electronics[/url]

The 2x teleconverter costs 55.000 Yen:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B0001JZ...8&s=electronics

Cheers,
Bernard

abrehm

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:39:16 am »

Thanks for the info.  I forgot about 2x converters and their site only lists the 300 so I didnt even know that the 500 existed.  

That is good news about the filters.  While the cost of filters will be minimal compared to buying a new camera and lenses, it is nice not to start from scratch and build a entirely new system from the ground up.  

Now if Mamiya will get their act together and release the ZD or better yet the ZD back in the US.  I guess I could always get the P21 as well.  That is the only back that really fits in my price range, but it is hard to find any good info on it.  It seems that everyone talks about the 20, 30 or 25.....

Thanks

Andy

BJL

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 12:45:43 pm »

2.  I often use a 70-200 on my Canon gear
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84070\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you often use the 200mm end of that lens, that could be a strong argument for staying with Canon, or at least keeping it for telephoto work.

Medium format has never catered much to telephoto, not nearly as much as high end smaller SLR format systems like 35mm do. Mamiya can go beyond 300mm, but requiring distinctly higher higher minimum f-stops than f/2.8, and thus a need for higher ISO speeds to maintain adequate shutter speed in most telephoto work. [A 2x tele-converter requires quadrupling the ISO speed to maintain the same shutter speed.]  So it seems unlikely that there will be much gain in image quality: high ISO is not a strength of MF, with either film or digital.

The exception is if you anticipate being able to use rather low ISO speeds despite the combination of higher f-stop and long focal lengths.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:47:12 pm by BJL »

digitalguy

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 03:17:53 pm »

If you are considering the Mamiya 645AFD system then you may wish to know that my friend who is a Phase reseller just told me that Mamiya just announced thier 28mm wide angle lens and thier 75-150 zoom for the AFD. the 28mm is equivilent to 17mm in 35mm world. He also said that Phase is going to optimize these lenses through Capture One correcting color, distortion and image quality! Exciting news and a possible alternative to the H3.
Also there is a $1000 instant rebate on all Mamiya version of Phase One backs including upgrades.

Dg

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 01:15:26 am »

If you are considering the Mamiya 645AFD system then you may wish to know that my friend who is a Phase reseller just told me that Mamiya just announced thier 28mm wide angle lens and thier 75-150 zoom for the AFD. the 28mm is equivilent to 17mm in 35mm world. He also said that Phase is going to optimize these lenses through Capture One correcting color, distortion and image quality! Exciting news and a possible alternative to the H3.
Also there is a $1000 instant rebate on all Mamiya version of Phase One backs including upgrades.

Dg
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84543\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi
Where is this available? When is phase developing the software for the 28mm lens. I know that Phase & Mamiya were in talks ( I heard that they were positive). The other thing is Phase going to create their program to run on the ZD & ZD back? I still can't understand why the ZD was not released in the US. I own one and love it. Phase software would make the ZD a more attractive choice in MFD.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 07:26:17 am »

Quote from: mcfoto,Nov 15 2006, 01:15 AM

Hi
Where is this available? When is phase developing the software for the 28mm lens. I know that Phase & Mamiya were in talks ( I heard that they were positive). The other thing is Phase going to create their program to run on the ZD & ZD back? I still can't understand why the ZD was not released in the US. I own one and love it. Phase software would make the ZD a more attractive choice in MFD.
Thanks Denis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=85356\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was told the ZD software was exactly the reason why the ZD was not released in the US. C1 support would be a welcome option.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

Graham Welland

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 03:54:07 am »

Regarding the big glass for Mamiya, you should also bear in mind that the 300/4.5 APO is AF and really nice sharp glass - i put it on a par with my Nikon 200-400 in terms of sharpness/acuity, although it's very poor in terms of ergonomics & manual feel. There is no AF coupled tele converter for the AF lenses as far as I'm aware. If there is one then I've got $$ here to spend on one right now!

If you use the manual focus 500/2x converter then you will have to meter manually in stop down mode. This may or not matter to you but it will come as a heck of a surprise from a Canon DSLR experience. Good luck also working with a 1000/f9 combo too!

As regards the 77mm filters on the 35mm, I've never had a problem with vignette with either film or digital even using beefy B+W filters.
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up