Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small discrete tweaks w the Tone Curve  (Read 2435 times)

rabanito

Small discrete tweaks w the Tone Curve
« on: April 13, 2019, 05:10:16 am »

While tweaking values in most of the developing tools (Develope Module) in LR I can make small changes just using the UP- and DOWN- arrows. Or writing values.

In PS in the CURVES. diagram I can fix any point on it and also change the output with the arrows or just writing the value (Input 127 Output 128-129-130...200)

This is a method I like and that doesn't seem possible in LR on the Tone Curve and that I would like to use for example when tweaking the proof copy
Mark Segal - if I remember well - told me once about dividing the curve in ten fixed steps and making the small changes thereon, a method I also use very often.

But all changes I do are by sliding something instead of putting small discrete values (just a tiny little more yellow in the sky with the blue curve... or something like that).
Could there be a possibility I'm not aware of?
Thanks

DP

Re: Small discrete tweaks w the Tone Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:49:44 am »

How strange - in ACR you can manually enter the values for a specific point in a curve... Does LR have a different UI in this tool vs ACR ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 09:09:45 am »

Still an issue on this website getting from email notifications into the topic on the Forum because the hyperlink function in the emails is still broken and the webmaster, after being advised some time ago, has still failed to either acknowledge it or fix it. Anyhow, by copy/paste I'm here, so let's deal with the topic.

I am using Lightroom Classic on OSX, latest version. There are two modes for the tone curve: (a) adjusting the curve on the curve where no parametric controls show, or (b) parametric using the four sliders provided under the tone curve interface. If you are using method (a), the only way to adjust the curve is by moving points on the curve directly with your mouse, trackpad, etc.. If you are using method (b), you can either slide the parametric sliders, or you can dial numeric values into the number boxes to the right of the sliders. In neither case do arrow keys work.

There is a general under-use of arrow keys in the Lightroom application. It would enhance user control over fine adjustment to be able to move curve points with the arrow keys. Likewise, in the Print Module, for positioning prints in Custom layout mode, I have long ago recommended to Adobe that they enable the arrow keys to nudge prints into position. Heck, I can do this with a cheap application called "Snagit" (for screen grabs and their editing), why can't a sophisticated operation like Adobe provide this functionality in Lightroom?

Anyhow, those are the ways to use LR's tone curve. These are quibbles - it's a good tool, does the needful, just a matter of becoming nimble in adjusting it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bjanes

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:18:42 am »

I am using Lightroom Classic on OSX, latest version. There are two modes for the tone curve: (a) adjusting the curve on the curve where no parametric controls show, or (b) parametric using the four sliders provided under the tone curve interface. If you are using method (a), the only way to adjust the curve is by moving points on the curve directly with your mouse, trackpad, etc.. If you are using method (b), you can either slide the parametric sliders, or you can dial numeric values into the number boxes to the right of the sliders. In neither case do arrow keys work.

I am on Windows 10 (latest version, 10.0.17763) with Lightroom Classic (8.2.1). Using the parametric curve option I can use the arrow keys to adjust the numeric values plus or minus one by 1 with the up or down arrows or by 10 using the shift key along with the up or down arrows. This may be a difference in the operating systems (windows vs mac).

Regards,

Bill

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 10:21:39 am »

I am on Windows 10 (latest version, 10.0.17763) with Lightroom Classic (8.2.1). Using the parametric curve option I can use the arrow keys to adjust the numeric values plus or minus one by 1 with the up or down arrows or by 10 using the shift key along with the up or down arrows. This may be a difference in the operating systems (windows vs mac).

Regards,

Bill

Sorry, yes, that's true on Mac also. What I meant is that in neither case can the arrow keys be used directly on the curve itself. I should have been clearer about that.

rabanito

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 10:57:39 am »

Thanks Mark
Method b) could help a little. The problem is that the only curve I can tweak is RGB and for soft proofing I use often the different single channels, which are provided only in method a), AFAIK

Steering the values w the keys have the advantage that you have only to look at the picture. With the sliders you have to alternate a little

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 11:02:31 am »

Method (a) of course provides for more precise control over the shape of the curve, because the user can intervene on it anywhere along the curve, which is what makes the 10-point lockdown handy - (a technique I first learned from Charles Cramer years ago by the way). But often method (b) works well enough to the job. It really depends on the photo.

BradSmith

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »

the 10-point lockdown handy - (a technique I first learned from Charles Cramer years ago by the way).

Mark, how do you do this?
Brad

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 03:43:04 pm »

Mark, how do you do this?
Brad

Please see attached diagrams

(1) and (2) Set the curve to point curve linear non-parametric
(3) Click on the curve at 10 equally spaced points along the curve (be guided by the very feint grid (one of the low-usability features of LR) and save this as a Curve Preset.

Then you can move each point independently, but be careful not to create banding and obvious discontinuities.

BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 01:16:09 pm »

thanks Mark.  I'd forgotten that you can save curve presets.
Brad

rabanito

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »

thanks Mark.  I'd forgotten that you can save curve presets.
Brad
I saved a lock-down curve for each channel besides RGB - FWIW

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 11:45:39 am »

Reminder: Holding down the [Alt/Opt] key while dragging on the Tone Curve constrains the movement to 10% of normal, allowing for very precise control.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

rabanito

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:15 pm »

Reminder: Holding down the [Alt/Opt] key while dragging on the Tone Curve constrains the movement to 10% of normal, allowing for very precise control.

Thanks  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up