Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why didn't Michael buy the G6 instead?  (Read 4779 times)

Joseph Yeung

Why didn't Michael buy the G6 instead?
« on: November 07, 2006, 08:58:07 pm »

It had buffered RAW. It even had a full tilt & swivel screen. It was a better camera in every way except for zoom and megapixels. It can probably be had much cheaper now than the G7. It probably even had less noise...

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 02:28:49 am »

It had buffered RAW. It even had a full tilt & swivel screen. It was a better camera in every way except for zoom and megapixels. It can probably be had much cheaper now than the G7. It probably even had less noise...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
A better camera in every way except zoom and megapixels?
- smaller dimmer screen
- slower startup
- slower shooting lag
- MORE noise
- much bulkier camera, non-pocketable
- 40% heavier
- slower focus
- no lens stabilisation !!
- lens cap
- more plastic body panels
- slower access to menus
- no ISO dial
- lesser movie mode and audio
- ISO400 max
- no live view histogram
- limited image parameter controls
- USB 1.1

“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

rcrigan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:19:28 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84058\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The same thought occured to me as I read Michael's review. I had the same criteria when shopping recently for a digital camera for street photography. I bought the Canon G6 and it does the job well.
A handicap is the six seconds it takes to write a RAW file. I'm prepared to put up with this to avoid the disadvantages of slr's.
The G6 is a good field camera, able to operate for long periods away from AC power, thanks to its optical viewfinder and non-essential screen. Parallax at close shooting distances can be a problem if you forget about it.
Seven megapixels suit my needs quite well. Canon's put a lot of thought into this model. If you need a quality camera that's also discreet, you'd go a long way to find one better.
Robert

michael

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 09:13:47 am »

TNARGS said it all.

Michael

DavidB

• http://davidburren.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 01:49:43 am »

I bought the Canon G6 and it does the job well.
A handicap is the six seconds it takes to write a RAW file. I'm prepared to put up with this to avoid the disadvantages of slr's.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=84273\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Actually it's not a 6-second delay after taking a RAW photo.  Like the Pro1 (and the S60/S70/etc) you only get a hang-up of a couple of seconds.  Sure, if you don't touch anything the camera may take 6 seconds to go back to normal preview mode, but if you do half-press the shutter the camera becomes responsive much sooner, and continues to write the file in the background.

These cameras _do_ have a buffer, but it's after the initial RAW/JPEG processing pipeline and isn't the same as the 2-stage buffers provided on DSLRs/etc.  They're not perfect, but they're not horrible in this regard either...

MrIconoclast

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 08:57:33 pm »

A while back I bought a Minolta A2 based mostly on MR's great review of it.  I have been  very happy with this camera. Besides duplicating most DSLR functions except for the ability to change lenses, it also shoots RAW files.

It is a well thought out camera, and it makes me sad to think that the company that designed it is no longer making cameras.
Pages: [1]   Go Up