Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large Format Flatbed Scanners  (Read 1305 times)

PatCastaldo

Large Format Flatbed Scanners
« on: April 11, 2019, 06:21:07 pm »

Does anyone have any experience with the Epson 1200XL Graphic Arts Scanner?

I've been using a Mustek A3 2400S and haven't been thrilled with it's color reproduction. It takes a ton to get it match the original work (despite tweaking every setting), and often it just fails to capture a lot of the detail that exists.

The Mustek was very affordable — $400.
But the Epson is $2,800.

I have old larger pieces of work to scan and it felt like a desktop scanner would be better than just setting things up in a copy-stand type situation and re-shooting them (I've got a EOS 5Dv3 to work with).

I don't mind spending the money on the Epson if I have to, but am afraid to buy it and not have it work out.

saiguy

Re: Large Format Flatbed Scanners
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:36:11 pm »

I have the Epson 12000xl Photo. I use the SilverFast 8 Ai software to operate it. I am very happy with it.

I believe they offer a new 13000 model. Only difference I can tell is it uses LED light source instead of a tube light source. I think it is more like $3,300. The LED may be better in terms of longevity, wouldn't know about quality difference.

The 12000 does not have an inferred channel function, but you are talking about reflective scans where it is irrelevant. It does have auto focus which is a good feature.

I bought mine as a refurbished model and saved about $1000. It had one minor scuff on the lid and has worked flawlessly for several years and came with 1 year warranty. You might want to look at their refurbished page.

saiguy

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:34 pm »

I just looked at the Epson web site. The 13000 model is not being offered now. The 12000 now has the LED light source. The Graphics Arts model is @ $2850, and the Photo Model is @ $3450.  I did not see a link for refurbished units. There is a phone # 800-463-7766 that you could ask about that. It could be that the photo model includes a top light unit for transparencies that the GR Arts doesn't. I'm guessing here.

They mention a dust and scratch function but no mention of Inferred Channel, which will only work on transparencies anyways. They may be referring to the SDRx function in SF8. The SF8 SRDx function is very useful, but you can only run it once while working within the SF8 scan software. LSI.com, SilverFast, has a SRDx plug-in for Photoshop. It costs $50 if I remember right. It is super functional because you can run it many times targeting from small to larger deficit removal, using a new layer each run.

If you buy one use the SF8 software. Can be a long learning curve. It retails at about $500.

saiguy

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 09:42:20 am »

Correction.  I have the Epson 11000xl Photo. NOT the 12000.

PatCastaldo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »

I hadn't even thought of third-party software with the existing scanner, and hadn't even heard of Silverfast — that's great advice just to try that and see if I can't get better results.

The 12000XL looks really good, and it's good to hear you're happy with it. Thanks!

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 05:01:49 pm »

I hadn't even thought of third-party software with the existing scanner, and hadn't even heard of Silverfast — that's great advice just to try that and see if I can't get better results.

Silverfast is generally considered to be the "best" commercially available scanning software.  This site's Mark Segal knows it backwards and forwards.  Here is a link to an article he wrote here about it.  https://luminous-landscape.com/scanning-workflows-with-silverfast-8/

Many people also successfully use a program named Vuescan written and supported by a man named Ed Hamrick.

saiguy

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 09:31:54 am »

I think the 12000 comes bundled with SilverFast. If it is not the SF8 Ai Studio version you can up grade.

The better place to have posted this is in Digital Image Processing, which includes scanning.

arobinson7547

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 01:31:24 pm »

I brought the 10000xl (used on eBay) because the only review of the 11000xl said the only real difference was that a Epson removed the FireWire from the 11000xl.

It seems like 10000=11000 and the 12000 just has a new light source but all else is pretty much the 11000xl.

Personally, be it Silverfast or Vuescan, I think the software and whatever Scanner Profiling Target you use is what’s really doing the heavy lifting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up