Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Preview Images in Posts  (Read 1487 times)

pflower

How to Preview Images in Posts
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:57:54 am »

Ok, I have done this before but I am lost as to how to attach a series of images to a post.  Or at least check that things have worked as expected.

There is a little camera icon on the top left of the bar above the space for writing a post.  Click on that brings up a couple of [img] markers.  The logical response to that would be to drag an image from my computer between the markers.  Indeed do so brings up an address as to the location of the image.  But when I press "Preview" nothing shows.

Is this approach the right one to insert an image?  Is there not a way of previewing without posting and risking an embarrassing mistake?

Thanks

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: How to Preview Images in Posts
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:12:27 pm »

There are a couple of ways.

If you use the img tag method, you supply a URL for the image between the tags, not the image itself. The full-size image will be visible inline when the post is viewed.

To use the attachment method, you need to open the "Attachments and other options" panel by clicking on the title, and then clicking the "Choose file" button. The image will be uploaded to LuLa when you post. A thumbnail will appear under the text of the post; clicking will expand it, either inline or in a new window depending on its size (if there are more than about 1200 pixels on the long edge, it will open in a new window). There are restrictions on the maximum size of the file.

If you use the second method, preview doesn't show the thumbnail (it can't; it doesn't yet exist). I'm not sure about the first.

Jeremy

pflower

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 01:18:14 pm »

Thanks.

Clearly I am doing something wrong.

I click on the camera image and the two [img] tags appear.  I then drag a jpeg (size 615kb) between the two.  This the shows the url for the file on my desktop - so I get something like [img]\users\myname\desktop\image.jpeg[img]

But when I post I just get a small blue square with a question mark in it.  Actually I also get the same blue square with question mark when I preview.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

There are a couple of ways.

If you use the img tag method, you supply a URL for the image between the tags, not the image itself. The full-size image will be visible inline when the post is viewed.

To use the attachment method, you need to open the "Attachments and other options" panel by clicking on the title, and then clicking the "Choose file" button. The image will be uploaded to LuLa when you post. A thumbnail will appear under the text of the post; clicking will expand it, either inline or in a new window depending on its size (if there are more than about 1200 pixels on the long edge, it will open in a new window). There are restrictions on the maximum size of the file.

If you use the second method, preview doesn't show the thumbnail (it can't; it doesn't yet exist). I'm not sure about the first.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 01:38:13 pm »

... Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

Is your desktop available on the Internet? I guess not. The image has to be hosted somewhere on the Internet to use that method (e.g., Flickr, etc.)

To use an image on your desktop, the only way is to use "Attachments and other options" and upload the image to LuLa servers.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:56:09 pm »

Clearly I am doing something wrong.

I click on the camera image and the two [img] tags appear.  I then drag a jpeg (size 615kb) between the two.  This the shows the url for the file on my desktop - so I get something like [img]\users\myname\desktop\image.jpeg[img]

Any thoughts on what is going wrong?

What you are doing will work only if the image on your desktop is accessible to LuLa's server; when someone wants to look at the post, the server will try to load it from the URL, and is unlikely to succeed. The URL between [img] tags should point at a globally accessible file.

Jeremy

pflower

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:11:29 pm »

Many thanks to both you and to Slobodan.

I think I am very slowly getting there.  But will try again tomorrow.

Philip

What you are doing will work only if the image on your desktop is accessible to LuLa's server; when someone wants to look at the post, the server will try to load it from the URL, and is unlikely to succeed. The URL between [img] tags should point at a globally accessible file.

Jeremy

pflower

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 02:50:02 pm »

Actually I just tried again.  I chose 3 attachments. All of which are jpegs exported from Lightroom, all were well within the size limit - being 615kb, 715kb and 647kb in size.

Posting I got an error message saying that my attachments had failed a security check and that I should contact the Administrator.

Clearly others don't have this problem so I must be doing something wrong.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 03:25:09 pm »

Actually I just tried again.  I chose 3 attachments. All of which are jpegs exported from Lightroom, all were well within the size limit - being 615kb, 715kb and 647kb in size.

Posting I got an error message saying that my attachments had failed a security check and that I should contact the Administrator.

Clearly others don't have this problem so I must be doing something wrong.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

That is most likely a glitch on the site. They have been updating their servers and a few glitches are still possible. The best option is indeed to contact the administrator:

webmaster@luminous-landscape.com
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:28:44 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 04:48:58 pm »

I get the same message with different images.

Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 03:14:58 am »

There is or has been an issue with screening of uploaded files. I understand Chris to be working on it.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up