Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit Encore  (Read 85463 times)

Rob C

Re: Brexit Encore
« Reply #1480 on: May 28, 2020, 12:31:54 pm »

According to Sky, the pound earlier today was worth €1.11; when I started trying to sell the apartment some years ago it was around €1.32 or so. The moment it starts to rise, one of the Nouveaux Tories or the another screws up and down it goes! I'm convinced it's an inside job where Minister A buys cheaply (as now) and when it rises again, he sells. At once, Minister B creates another scandal or crisis for him and down it goes again, allowing Minister A to buy even more little squids and get richer and richer as he repeats the cycle. I hope one day he puts it all on one throw and it goes sour.

As Harold Wilson famously remarked after devaluation; it doesn't, of course, mean that the pound in your pocket is worth any less!

Try telling that to any expat or holidaymaker with a memory. I even recall a time when the pound was worth around $2.50.

The thing is, as Europe was supposedly on the skids and Britain had a glorious, shiny new future ahead, why is the euro still doing better than the pound?

You gotta larf.

degrub

« Reply #1481 on: May 28, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

in a word, Germany

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1482 on: June 05, 2020, 01:25:42 pm »

Negotiations about trade and everything between the UK and the EU are not progressing....

https://www.bbc.com/news/52937766

The UK wants a 'basic deal' ; the EU wants a complete solution in order get a fully balanced deal.

So there are plenty of issues to resolve and it normally takes years to do a trade deal. But this process only has a matter of months left.

The UK is in a bad position to enforce a deal;
50% of its trade is with the EU...  the idea of an independent UK is a fairy tail.  The EU dictates and is one big block against the smaller UK;
Before the UK had a say how the regulations in the EU were implemented- not anymore- they will have to comply; They have lost control instead of gained control.
And they have lost the straightforward access to the EU-countries.  Everything has to be discussed and implemented anew in detail and in line with all the other new arrangements.
It will take years.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75]   Go Up