Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tall Arca plate or spacer for clearance  (Read 1393 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Tall Arca plate or spacer for clearance
« on: April 10, 2019, 10:40:08 am »

I recently got a new geared tripod head (Benro DG3WH) for my real estate and architectural photography. It's replacing a Manfrotto head that was just so-so and not a great match for the scarce selection of Manfrotto style L plates to fit my main work camera (Pentax K-1ii). So I decided to switch to an Arca style system to get a RRS L plate for my K-1 and it works perfectly with my Benro head, solving my original issue.
But now I have a new issue.
I also shoot a 645D sometimes. When I mount that on the Benro head the larger camera body hits the upper most adjustment knob and doesn't settle into the clamp well. Once in place, the camera body interferes with the head adjustment knobs. The head just doesn't accommodate a camera that large which is a disappointment. It's capable of more than enough weight. I don't often use this combination so I could just leave it at that and only use the D on my ball heads but it seems like this could be easy to solve with the right piece of equipment.
If I just had a taller Arca plate or a spacer to make it effectively about 2x or 1/4" taller, that could solve the issue. I looked around and couldn't find anything like that. Lots of long plates but no tall ones.
Do any of you know if something like this exists? Or do you have any other ideas besides yet another geared head?
Thanks in advance!
-MattB

BRH

Re: Tall Arca plate or spacer for clearance
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »

Matt,
I have both the Benro and Manfrotto geared heads. I modified my Manfrotto head with this adapter clamp attached to an RC4 plate to use A/S L-plates;

https://www.amazon.ca/Koolehaoda-Adapter-Release-Ballhead-Photography/dp/B00MUYZ3YW/ref=sr_1_5?hvadid=208383585010&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9000865&hvnetw=g&hvp

You could apply this to the Benro A/S plate to act as a spacer to provide clearance.

BTW, I DON'T use my Mamiya 645 on the Benro head, since the Manfrotto RC4 plate is inherently more stable than the narrow A/S plate.

Regards,
Bryan

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:45:00 pm »

Thanks, I bet that will do the trick.
I've already sold my Manfrotto head but it wasn't the RC4 plate version, it was the RC2 plate version which just isn't as nicely built or engineered. I know the RC4 plates spread out the load better but I wanted one clamp system across all my cameras if possible and I also wanted a nice L plate for my primary real estate camera which is what forced me into down the Arca clamp path to begin with. I don't often use very large lenses on the 645D so I'm hoping the smaller plate won't matter much but we will see.
Thanks!
-MattB

BRH

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 12:30:41 am »

I Just assumed that your Manfrotto head was a geared head, hence RC4. I agree that the RC2 is a PITA. ;D
Bryan

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 01:01:55 am »

I Just assumed that your Manfrotto head was a geared head, hence RC4. I agree that the RC2 is a PITA. ;D
Bryan

It is a geared head, but it's the smallest one they make (XPRO Geared Head) and uses RC2 plates. The Benro is much nicer.
I'm going with your adapter idea and have one on the way. I may not shoot this head with the 645D much but I like having the option if I want to.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 01:12:29 am by MattBurt »
-MattB

BRH

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:19:01 am »

I forgot about the Cheaper XPRO, since I don't consider it a serious geared head. Only the 410jr and the 405  from Manfrotto count in my mind.
Hope the adapter works out for you
Bryan

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:27:41 am »

I forgot about the Cheaper XPRO, since I don't consider it a serious geared head.

You are correct! Thanks.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up