Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alaska Trip Advice  (Read 1043 times)

BradSmith

Alaska Trip Advice
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:41:49 pm »

Going on a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver in early June.  Never been to Alaska before.  I would like to do a land based, rented car tour from Anchorage before the cruise to see/photograph some of inland Alaska.  Is the following reasonable, both from a travel time perspective and photographic opportunities....
Day 1 - rent car in Anchorage, drive to Denali  (will not take the daylong bus ride into the park).   Day 2 - drive Denali to Fairbanks.  Day 3 drive Fairbanks to Talkeetna.  Day 4 - drive Talkeetna to Anchorage for 8pm cruise departure. 
Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.
Brad

faberryman

Re: Alaska Trip Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 01:50:01 pm »

Going on a cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver in early June.  Never been to Alaska before.  I would like to do a land based, rented car tour from Anchorage before the cruise to see/photograph some of inland Alaska.  Is the following reasonable, both from a travel time perspective and photographic opportunities....
Day 1 - rent car in Anchorage, drive to Denali  (will not take the daylong bus ride into the park).   Day 2 - drive Denali to Fairbanks.  Day 3 drive Fairbanks to Talkeetna.  Day 4 - drive Talkeetna to Anchorage for 8pm cruise departure. 
Any suggestions/advice are appreciated.
Brad
You don't appear to be leaving anytime for photography. Is this to be just a car sightseeing trip?

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:26:46 pm »

My photography would be car or short hike based during each day's drive.  I'm figuring that I'd be on the road each day for 8-10 hours.  The driving time (without stops) should be 2 ½ to 5 hours each day.  I'm hoping that should leave quite a bit of time for stops/photos, etc.  But I'm looking for advice.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 11:35:14 pm »

I took that route several years ago, but after several rainy days I stayed 2 days at Chena Hot Springs and then on my return trip also took the bus tour through Denali. The Denali was the best part, both for the mountain scenery and wildlife. In June, the days are long there, so you can start early and drive until late evening. If you leave Fairbanks at 3-4am, you should be able to squeeze in the Denali morning tour, and after the tour continue driving to Talkeetna.

The road is pretty good, without too much traffic. You may see moose also from the highway or near some settlements on your way. As to the official hiking trails on that route, most are quite long tours.

Pages: [1]   Go Up