Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tapatalk  (Read 2537 times)

Rob C

Re: Tapatalk
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 07:46:08 am »

If anyone here wants to keep this ship afloat then contribute both content and money. I believe Ivo does both and as such is a valued contributor. I'd be sorry to see him leave.

Truth to tell, I think it's far more a matter of interesting content than money. Michael ran it as he did, and during his time was fortunate in having the new panorama of digital photography spring up and make people seek out sites where they could figure their way around the thing. LuLa fulfilled that function very well.

Today, there is hardly any excitement in that world, and numbers freaks seek out different places, though for sure, we have 'em too. I don't remember a time when it was all about contributors' images alone, and if there was a kind of head picture honcho, Michael provided the material because he was capable of doing so time after time. His landscapes were not gimmick-dependent, and his take on street both reportage as artistic. That's one pretty damned good contributor!

What can anyone reasonably expect from contributors today? I try to add the occasional snap, but as you know, my thing is no longer a possibility - at least right now - so the best I can do is add a few website links to photographers whose work strikes me as worth knowing. Sometimes music has a special meaning for me and so I throw it in the mix just in case anyone else might like it. Other than that, not much content I can add. I'm happy to admit I may be an awkward s.o.b. but I'm stuck with me, so take me or put me on the ignore list; doesn't make a pile of difference to me, really. I suspect most of us might not feel so different.

Will sponsorship prove, or prove to remain a solution? Well, if camera sales continue to tank as they seem to be doing, it could well prove that photography turns out to be a less interesting home for the money that is in those outlets.

Walter said, many years ago, that the Internet, as a medium for good conversation, had ultimately failed its purpose and its time in the spotlight was over. He might have been right.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 08:27:32 am »

... even while taking a dump  ;D, it's fun to check Lula...

Some people confuse the two ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 08:56:36 am »

... It is sad to read it is the political discussions issue that troubled the Tapatalk functionality...

No, Ivo, it is the other way around. Tapatalk functionality is not gone because of political discussions. There are other reasons. Which ones specifically, I don’t know. Possibly economic or technical. I was saying that one of the reasons political discussions were banned is Tapatalk functionality. How come? Well, the simplest answer to those who didn’t like political discussions is “don’t look, don’t read, don’t click on it.” Then Tapatalk users responded with “Sorry, can’t do, as Tapatalk is displaying pictures and post preview of every post by default.” So Kevin caved in to Tapatalk users and banned politics, among other reasons.

I tried it, and it was correct. Now, for me, political discussions were not the problem, but the fact that I had to see every post’s preview with a picture, even from those contributors I know I am not interested in seeing, or in forums I am not interested in following, was too much for me.

Paying to Tapatalk not to see the ads!? Are you kidding me? Why would I pay to read this forum that is free!? Boggles my mind. Then again, you Europeans are weird, you apparently like paying for free things ;)

It is a Windows vs. Mac, Canon vs. Nikon, etc. thing. I prefer a desktop version of LuLa even on my iPhone. I hate Tapatalk and its users (especially the paying kind) with a burning passion ;) Especially  when a window would pop up asking me to switch to Tapatalk every time I wanted to visit LuLa.

jeremyrh

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2019, 09:15:26 am »

Some people confuse the two ;)

“I can only deal with one shit at a time”  ::)

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2019, 09:31:01 am »

No, Ivo, it is the other way around. Tapatalk functionality is not gone because of political discussions. There are other reasons. Which ones specifically, I don’t know. Possibly economic or technical. I was saying that one of the reasons political discussions were banned is Tapatalk functionality. How come? Well, the simplest answer to those who didn’t like political discussions is “don’t look, don’t read, don’t click on it.” Then Tapatalk users responded with “Sorry, can’t do, as Tapatalk is displaying pictures and post preview of every post by default.” So Kevin caved in to Tapatalk users and banned politics, among other reasons.

I tried it, and it was correct. Now, for me, political discussions were not the problem, but the fact that I had to see every post’s preview with a picture, even from those contributors I know I am not interested in seeing, or in forums I am not interested in following, was too much for me.

Paying to Tapatalk not to see the ads!? Are you kidding me? Why would I pay to read this forum that is free!? Boggles my mind. Then again, you Europeans are weird, you apparently like paying for free things ;)

It is a Windows vs. Mac, Canon vs. Nikon, etc. thing. I prefer a desktop version of LuLa even on my iPhone. I hate Tapatalk and its users (especially the paying kind) with a burning passion ;) Especially  when a window would pop up asking me to switch to Tapatalk every time I wanted to visit LuLa.

Agreed. That forcing thing went right up my nose too. No way was I going to switch to them. I would rather have just dropped out altogether had there been no alternative. Insidious buggers.

Rob

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2019, 10:30:16 am »

I think I payed 9€ voor the Tapatalk app. Never had any issue with ads or whatever. Now, I’m not a huge fan of Tapatalk neither. The only reason I had a payed version on my phone was Lula because it really improved my Lula experience on my phone. See where the disappointment starts?
Reading the forum and reply is very cumbersome, I have to shift the text pane all the time while texting. And the only way to contribute and share pictures is on the computer.

As it stands now, my content under Ivophoto is orphaned, I can not access it, I adresses it on the help, but no cure.

As said, it is what it is.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 10:31:34 am »

Ok, my error, I misunderstood the situation.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 10:53:00 am »

... And the only way to contribute and share pictures is on the computer...

Why? I post pictures from iPhone or iPad without problems.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 05:15:56 pm »

Why? I post pictures from iPhone or iPad without problems.

If your pictures are in Photo's, yes. I don't have a clean way to get my picture directly exported from LR to Photo's..... How do you do handle this, Slobodan?

Chris Batt

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 09:32:47 pm »

Installing a mobile compatible forum would solve the issue. It can’t be to hard to do.
If I would be a free guest, I would not even think to comment. But I pay the yearly fee, so I may expect better reply than a shut up and via PM arguments which are apparently  an aberration of the truth.
Don’t understand me wrong,  I’m not in place to dictate requirements, but I’m entitled to get honest feedback on questions about the site that I financially support even it’s only a little bit.

Gentlemen,

Allow me to chime in and inject some much needed facts into a quickly deteriorating conversation.

Ivo, there is much more to running an online forum that sees tens of thousands of visitors every day, than simply "Installing a mobile compatible forum". It would actually be harder to accomplish than you think, and making a new system compatible with the 1,000,000+ posts and 50GB+ of photo/image attachments would be a huge challenge, if doable at all without shutting the forum down for awhile and spending significant time resources that are much needed on just as important other issues.

Some mobile-responsive changes could be made with the right investment, several of you are correct, and we are looking seriously at the steps needed to do that, but we are also very cautious about making any changes to the existing structure, theme, and familiarity that members have with the current forum. Changes can cause more problems than they appear to fix sometimes.

Political matters did not cause the shutdown of the TapaTalk forum, nor was it instigated by the management for any reason. Frankly, it became disabled during the migration to our new servers in February 2019, and when reports of this began to sporatically come in, we investigated it. We found some serious security flaws in the forum software and how TapaTalk or hackers were able to access the site content, and we disabled the possibility of it coming back online, and attempted to close the bug/hole. In the intervening time, TapaTalk was unable to reach our server, and after a specified period, they delisted our account and disabled our forum from their system. Attempts to gain access to that account or create a new one to re-instantiate the LuLa forum have been fruitless thus far. We will continue to contact TapaTalk and validate our server once again, to restore the ability to activate the features they offer to many of our users.

Perhaps a larger discussion would be apt, albeit censoring the insults or personally aimed comments, regarding the value of TapaTalk in our community and how input from that venue may affect the content or governance that is maintained in such a good balance here. You all have a richness of experience with the forum that I do not yet have, and your views and preferences are of the utmost interest to the LuLa management, Josh, Irene, et al.

Perhaps a series of polls may be offered here to have a structured way of getting everyone's (who is interested) opinions and experience, so we can made judicious and prioritized changes and improvements.

We have lots coming in the pipeline by the end of the year, including some surprises (good ones), and it is for the community that we do these things and offer the LuLa service every day.

Thank you for your collective input, and we are looking forward to more.

Chris Batt
Webmaster
Webmaster, The Luminous Landscape

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2019, 10:25:07 pm »

I do contribute, Rob. I think I ‘m one of the few who deliver content about photography in its broadest sense.
It is sad to read it is the political discussions issue that troubled the Tapatalk functionality.

It is a practical thing, replying at Lula on a iPhone is near to impossible.
I don’t walk around with my MacBook anymore, it’s 2019. My iPhone deals with all communication tasks.

Installing a mobile compatible forum would solve the issue. It can’t be to hard to do.
If I would be a free guest, I would not even think to comment. But I pay the yearly fee, so I may expect better reply than a shut up and via PM arguments which are apparently  an aberration of the truth.
Don’t understand me wrong,  I’m not in place to dictate requirements, but I’m entitled to get honest feedback on questions about the site that I financially support even it’s only a little bit.

It is an absolutely valid request. We are continuing to weigh all web development priorities as we head into another round of rebuilding, right now. I can’t comment on the inevitability or timeline of an enhanced mobile forum function this minute, but it’s being discussed !
Your opinion and feedback (as well as those things of others in this thread) are most valued.

Josh 
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2019, 11:19:31 pm »

If your pictures are in Photo's, yes. I don't have a clean way to get my picture directly exported from LR to Photo's..... How do you do handle this, Slobodan?

It doesn't need to be in Apple Photos. It can be in iCloud. If i need to post something that way, I use the Browse option, and then iCloud Drive. The screenshots below are from the desktop version of LuLa on my iPhone.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 09:06:42 am »

It doesn't need to be in Apple Photos. It can be in iCloud. If i need to post something that way, I use the Browse option, and then iCloud Drive. The screenshots below are from the desktop version of LuLa on my iPhone.

Tx. I’ll try that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up