Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have experience with EIZO Coloredge CG279X?  (Read 4719 times)

geneo

Anyone have experience with EIZO Coloredge CG279X?
« on: March 30, 2019, 08:53:55 pm »

Looking for input before plunking down over $2k.
Would be much appreciated!
Walk softly and carry a big lens

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Anyone have experience with EIZO Coloredge CG279X?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:29:08 pm »

Looking for input before plunking down over $2k.
Would be much appreciated!

I have an older 27 in Eizo and am quite happy with it.  I have seen the 24in version of the 279x and it's definitely an improvement over the older panels as it can show deeper blacks.  If you are making photographic prints, this is not so much an advantage as paper prints are even lower contrast than the older panels.  But, for video, the higher contrast ratio is much desired.

If you do get one, I would also suggest calibrating it with an iOne Display Pro vs. any built-in probe.  Eizo representatives actually suggested this to me...
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

geneo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 02:31:17 am »

I have an older 27 in Eizo and am quite happy with it.  I have seen the 24in version of the 279x and it's definitely an improvement over the older panels as it can show deeper blacks.  If you are making photographic prints, this is not so much an advantage as paper prints are even lower contrast than the older panels.  But, for video, the higher contrast ratio is much desired.

If you do get one, I would also suggest calibrating it with an iOne Display Pro vs. any built-in probe.  Eizo representatives actually suggested this to me...

Hi,

Thanks for responding. 
Did you see the CG247X or another?  If so that is a lightly older vintage I think (USB 2.0 etc.). 

Does the in-built sensor calibrate  grayscale as well as white point? I wonder the differences between these Eizo models.   Can you use an external sensor in place of the internal without conflicts? Can external sensors modify the LUT?

I am most concerned about, in order
1. color accuracy and calibration and wide-gamut
2. Uniformity and no bleeding
3. Contrast

Mostly for photography but maybe video in the future.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 02:39:53 am by geneo »

smthopr

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 12:08:08 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for responding. 
Did you see the CG247X or another?  If so that is a lightly older vintage I think (USB 2.0 etc.). 

Does the in-built sensor calibrate  grayscale as well as white point? I wonder the differences between these Eizo models.   Can you use an external sensor in place of the internal without conflicts? Can external sensors modify the LUT?

I am most concerned about, in order
1. color accuracy and calibration and wide-gamut
2. Uniformity and no bleeding
3. Contrast

Mostly for photography but maybe video in the future.

Yes, I saw the 247x.

There is no conflict using an external sensor for calibration.  I'm not sure if the built in sensor just adjusts white point.  On my older CX271, the built in sensor just adjusts white point for consistency between calibrations.  I keep it turned off and just recalibrate.

I believe the new displays cover about all of P3 colorspace which is about all that you'll ever need for photo printing/matching.

My display is rated at 1000:1 contrast and after calibration I get about 960:1, but that's the older panel.  The new panels claim 1500:1 contrast, so you'll get just a bit less after calibration.  You will certainly notice darker blacks with the newer displays.  Not OLED level blacks, but darker.

I guess you may just need to buy one and return it if it doesn't work out well for you.

There is also the CG2730 which might be less expensive and do what you need.  I think that the 2730 does not allow the uploading of a 3D calibration LUT which one may want to do for video work because video color correction software is not display color managed like Photoshop.  But, to upload a calibration 3D LUT to the 279X you will also need lightspace software which is quite expensive.  So the 2730 might be just right for you.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

geneo

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 05:49:04 pm »

OK, I see from Eizo FAQ that hey distinguish between built-in  "color calibration"  and "color correction" sensors. The former can be used to create a profile like any external sensor and is on the cg series, and the later can do only color and brightness corections, and cannot be used to create a profile and comes with the CX and CS series.

geneo

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 12:36:33 am »

Yes, I saw the 247x.

There is no conflict using an external sensor for calibration.  I'm not sure if the built in sensor just adjusts white point.  On my older CX271, the built in sensor just adjusts white point for consistency between calibrations.  I keep it turned off and just recalibrate.

I believe the new displays cover about all of P3 colorspace which is about all that you'll ever need for photo printing/matching.

My display is rated at 1000:1 contrast and after calibration I get about 960:1, but that's the older panel.  The new panels claim 1500:1 contrast, so you'll get just a bit less after calibration.  You will certainly notice darker blacks with the newer displays.  Not OLED level blacks, but darker.

I guess you may just need to buy one and return it if it doesn't work out well for you.

There is also the CG2730 which might be less expensive and do what you need.  I think that the 2730 does not allow the uploading of a 3D calibration LUT which one may want to do for video work because video color correction software is not display color managed like Photoshop.  But, to upload a calibration 3D LUT to the 279X you will also need lightspace software which is quite expensive.  So the 2730 might be just right for you.

I did end up getting a CG2730. No 3D LUT, a little older than the CG279x, and with a few less features than the CG279x, but I am happy. Color accuracy is very good (purchased an I1 display 3 with it), and it has a UWB3 Hub.

smthopr

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 11:35:42 am »

I did end up getting a CG2730. No 3D LUT, a little older than the CG279x, and with a few less features than the CG279x, but I am happy. Color accuracy is very good (purchased an I1 display 3 with it), and it has a UWB3 Hub.
congratulations on your new display!

I'm just curious, what is the contrast ratio after you calibrate the display?
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:27:14 pm »

Expect for all the colors that fall out of gamut for both. Epson P800 Luster vs. DCI-P3 below
And an illustration that no printer can print all of the color gamut found in DCI-P3 or for that matter, sRGB due to the vast differences between color spaces defined by making color using light vs. colorants. Full color 3D plot is this RGB working space. Solid is the Epson.
Now back to the discussion of hardware  ;D
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

geneo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 08:00:16 pm »

congratulations on your new display!

I'm just curious, what is the contrast ratio after you calibrate the display?

Thanks,

1158:1  argb 120 cd/m^2 DUE=uniformity (black level = .10, brightness 120.2)
You need uniformity=brightness to achieve 1500 at the cost of uniformity (haven't tried)

mistymoon

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 08:51:39 pm »

I just got an EIZO CG2730 to replace an NEC PA272W monitor than died. I find that it does a much better job at showing fine detail than the NEC, which seems to have a built-in slight fuzziness to the screen. I am now much happier.

geneo

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 07:53:06 pm »

I just got an EIZO CG2730 to replace an NEC PA272W monitor than died. I find that it does a much better job at showing fine detail than the NEC, which seems to have a built-in slight fuzziness to the screen. I am now much happier.

Congrats on the new monitor. While I think the build quality and some features on the Spectraviews are a bit better (like true 10 bit, user presence detection), some are not (like color profiling info and switching quick between profiles).  I thought the NEC PA271q was very nice and a good bang for the buck, except mine couldn't be calibrated accurately with Spectraview, and no timeline for any fix.  Hope they fix it soon for those looking for a good deal.

For me coming from an NEC 2490WUXi with CCF back-light,1920x1200, 8 bpc, non-high gamut display,  this is a a big step up :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:56:20 pm by geneo »

Benny Profane

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 11:51:20 am »

I have used an Eizo CG277 for about five years at home now, and used very similar models at work for six years before that. I am happy with their product.

Love the built in calibrator and self calibrating feature.

elliot_n

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 12:14:07 pm »

user presence detection

Eizo has had this for a long time. IMO it's a gimmick (but it seems to work for some people).

geneo

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 12:28:27 pm »

Not on the CG2730 though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up