Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gloss differential issues on Canon PRO-6000S vs Epson P9000  (Read 535 times)

graemetouch

Gloss differential issues on Canon PRO-6000S vs Epson P9000
« on: March 28, 2019, 06:44:30 am »

Hi All,

After 20 years of using Epson large format printers for Photographic Exhibition printing, we understand a lot of the issues relating to Gloss Differential on very high gloss smooth inkjet papers.
Recently, after some testing and research we opted for a 60" Canon over a new Epson SureColour P20000 mainly due to Canon's Chroma Optimiser as we had seen some improvements on some papers.
BUT, after a few weeks of extensive testing / several RIPs / software settings and approaches / engineer visits etc etc, the results on the Canon on a very popular Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss FB paper are not good enough for our high standards.
The Epson P9000 is actually still better than the Canon. Although not perfect.

I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone else has had similar experience with the Canon 6000 or 4000 models.
It is especially apparent on the Canon on "fine" (max output res) settings. On normal resolution not so apparent.

It just feels that Canon ink put down on this super glossy smooth surface just does not work right!

Thanks in advance, any insights gratefully appreciated
Graeme
London, UK.

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Gloss differential issues on Canon PRO-6000S vs Epson P9000
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 11:26:30 am »

Hi All,

After 20 years of using Epson large format printers for Photographic Exhibition printing, we understand a lot of the issues relating to Gloss Differential on very high gloss smooth inkjet papers.
Recently, after some testing and research we opted for a 60" Canon over a new Epson SureColour P20000 mainly due to Canon's Chroma Optimiser as we had seen some improvements on some papers.
BUT, after a few weeks of extensive testing / several RIPs / software settings and approaches / engineer visits etc etc, the results on the Canon on a very popular Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss FB paper are not good enough for our high standards.
The Epson P9000 is actually still better than the Canon. Although not perfect.

I wanted to reach out to the community and see if anyone else has had similar experience with the Canon 6000 or 4000 models.
It is especially apparent on the Canon on "fine" (max output res) settings. On normal resolution not so apparent.

It just feels that Canon ink put down on this super glossy smooth surface just does not work right!

Thanks in advance, any insights gratefully appreciated
Graeme
London, UK.

I know this doesn't help you, but it seems, with your extensive testing, that you've answered your own question for the types of work that you do.  It appears that some gloss issues are just part of the current state of inkjet printing.  I did some printing tests recently at a retailer and saw the gloss issues, but neither the Canon nor the Epson bothered me for printing on Canson Platine fiber rag, but is has a slight texture.

I find that for all glossy prints, and I only make glossy prints, that when viewing the finished print there will be a strong reflection causing the viewer to reorient themselves until the reflection disappears. And, from that vantage point, one can not see any gloss differential anyways.

But please let us know if you find a solution.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up