Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New firmware (v5.0) for A9  (Read 1203 times)

shadowblade

New firmware (v5.0) for A9
« on: March 26, 2019, 02:47:37 am »

Since the new firmware was launched yesterday, I've been putting the updated A9 through its paces with a few torture tests.

To put it briefly, this isn't a firmware update. It's the A9 Mk 1.5.

The basic A9 is no slouch - it keeps up with the 1Dx2 and D5, being better at some things (locking precisely onto eyes, rather than eyelashes or other nearby features) and worse at others (tracking erratic subjects in difficult AF environments vs the D5, e.g. insects or small birds at close distances). But the firmware update takes it to a completely new level, probably surpassing the other two cameras, and just goes to show how much a modern camera is no longer a mechanical or simple electronic device, but a computer attached to an imaging system whose performance is just as dependent on the speed of the processor and the software it's running than on the imaging hardware attached to it.

Not to say that it's perfect. Like any other AF system, it still has the tendency to lock onto the highest-contrast part of an animal's head or body and track that, rather than the eye, although that is largely a function of initial, manual targeting than any issue with tracking - if you manage to target the eye directly and tell it to track it, it will track accurately, but if you just point the cursor at the animal, it will lock onto whichever part of the animal within the square has the highest contrast, which may not be the eye. But this is a feature common to every AF system (AF modules don't know you're targeting a cheetah and want the eyes in focus - they just focus on whichever thing has the highest contrast in the targeting square) and, unlike with other AF systems, should have a solution in a few months' time when animal eye AF is introduced. Eye AF to recognise the eye in the first place, real-time tracking to keep it in focus as it moves. Already, it's not a problem with humans, since the current eye AF system recognises human eyes just fine, and wasn't a problem with the monkeys I tested it with at the zoo today (which are human-shaped enough for eye AF to work). And there are some hardware issues that can't be fixed with firmware - the 5fps limit with mechanical shutter for example, which greatly hinders the usability of EFCS when you want to avoid the electronic shutter's potential for banding when dealing with extremely fast-moving objects. But it's a huge step up from an already-good baseline A9, and a step above the competition, at least AF-wise.

I'm expecting a similar jump in performance when the A7r3 gets its firmware update in April. It won't have the AF tracking update (I doubt the old sensor design allows for it) but will have updates to eye AF, making it 'stickier', and animal eye AF (coming to the A9 in a few months' time), and should make for a good performance update while we wait for the next generation of bodies (probably a 36MP A9II in time for the Tokyo Olympics).

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New firmware (v5.0) for A9
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 06:03:31 am »

Sounds like an impressive update! Well done Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard

mikenakamuraphotography.com

• Mike Nakamura Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:10:56 pm »

I have been using the a9 update for a few months and for the past few weeks the a7RIII update. I'm still adjusting to how they work; however, the eye AF options / changes / improvements are very nice. Most of my business is headshots with the a7RIII and the new "always on" eye AF works great. Much easier than pressing the button on the lens. At events, when I wanted to use eye AF with the 24-70 in portrait mode, the lens button was positioned in an awkward place, so this is much better.

Both cameras grab a face in the background more often than I'd like; however, it is less prevalent. I use the old metering lock method when this happens. I aim the camera at the face I want and press AF on then reframe, the focus stays on the subject. In old days, I used this point activate, reframe for metering.

FYI on my business: I have a small headshot studio in Bellevue WA and do a many headshot sessions at corporations in Seattle or Redmond. Headshots are close to 70% of my business with corporate event virtually all of the remainder.  I've been a Peter Hurley follower a few years now so most of my headshots look like the attached photo.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 12:23:53 am »

It is very impressive and my experiences mirror yours pretty much. I shot  a wedding a few weeks ago and  registered the brides face for purposes of AF prioritizing. I didn’t really expect it to work quite honestly and was most surprised when the camera picked her out of a group and latched onto her face. Not a feature I expect to use frequently but it is an indication of where the technology is going

While the A9 is vastly better than the A7riii at AF we haven’t yet had the upgrade that gives animal eye focus. Supposed to be this summer, our winter. I hope so. I’m heading to Tanzania in two months to meet up with my GF who will be finishing a contract up there and the plan is to meet up for a holiday. The animal eye AF could be useful.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 01:08:09 pm »

I need to get to dog park and test the animal eye AF. Now that I think of it, I can test cats at the neighbors.  In the past, I took the a9 when I went to photograph dogs, will have to test the a7RIII animal eye AF.

I use the Fn menu for most important settings, less so than the custom buttons now.

On the a9, I like the ability to limit the focus modes and use the C1 button to scroll to the one I want.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:41:12 pm »

I have registered a custom shoot set for DMF and set that to C1. I use DMF a lot in the studio. The custom shoot sets are very useful I find. I am now quite familiar with the Sony menus and can find my way around them very quickly so haven’t set up C buttons for many menu items.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 01:46:54 pm by Martin Kristiansen »

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:39:52 pm »

I need to explore the shoot set process. Sounds like a good way to store entire modes, etc.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 02:56:26 pm »

I have two in use. I think there is space for three. The second one I use I have set for mid speed shooting with compressed raw 12 FPS, electronic shutter, no sound, wide focus tracking, shutter priority, 1/250, auto iso, AF on, F8. I am doing this by memory but I think that’s correct. Anyway it’s assigned to the AEL button and when I press it it’s like a back focus button but with all the settings mentions here also applied. Means I can immediately engage and shoot at high speed silently  simply pressing that button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up