Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Portfolio as a primary website?  (Read 6520 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Adobe Portfolio as a primary website?
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:06:46 pm »

I currently have a website with Smugmug, but since subscribing to Lightroom CC Mobile  (USD4.99/mo), I am contemplating investing in Adobe CC Photography plan at USD 9.99/mo and am curious about the real functionality of the Adobe Portfolio platform as a primary website.

I know AP doesn’t do blogs (I have WordPress for that) or sales and is somewhat limited in having few templates, but is anyone finding that Adobe Portfolio is a viable alternative to a more sophisticated online portfolios such as Smugmug? If so, please comment below. I would also like to hear from those who perhaps find AP does not meet their requirements and why.

Thanks for your input,

Terry
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Dave Rosser

• My Website
Re: Adobe Portfolio as a primary website?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:03 am »

As an amateur with no wish to sell my pictures I find Portfolio perfectly adequate for my needs though, because I had thought of ditching Adobe and going down the Capture One/Affinity route, I also have a Smugmug site.
One thing with Portfolio is that if you use Behance you can set things up so your Behance projects automatically get added to your Portfolio site.
As an example of a simple Portfolio site mine can be seen at
 www.david-rosser.com

Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:18:29 pm »

The subscription gives you a few web options. I am quite impressed by how Portfolio has developed, but you also get Lightroom Web which you can use to quickly share collections of pictures, and Spark which is for story-style presentations.

For example, take a look at Terry's post and his Adobe Spark page on his Ethiopia trip.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 10:10:21 pm »

On top of that, now Portfolio allow you to create 5 websites and they included selective password protected pages / galleries, which it did not have in the beginning

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 10:17:28 pm »

Adobe Spark is great for creating stories.  I have no idea how long it'll be available, but for now, its ease of use can't be beat, let alone the cost of entry.

This under-construction site is Wordpress based, but most of the content is Sparks.  Especially under "Van Travels" and "Other".  Sometimes, Sparks don't load completely. :(

www.petercmclennan.com
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 10:22:28 pm by Peter McLennan »

Dinarius

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:10:04 am »

Hope you don’t mind me butting in with a related question:

I want to change my website completely.

I’m torn between asking someone to build one (I would be clueless in this regard) and using a website builder. The four suggested here pop up a lot. https://www.websitebuilderexpert.com/website-builders/best/photography/

I’m aware of advertorial recommendations, but I’d be interested in the views of others on these four versus the Adobe offering.

Thanks.

D.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2019, 06:52:31 pm »

I’d be interested in the views of others on these four versus the Adobe offering.
Thanks.
D.

I’m using SmugMug as well as Adobe Portfolio and will probably end up switching to Portfolio only as it comes as part of the subscription I’m already paying for. I’m still with SmugMug as I’m not having to pay for it. It seems my referrals have generated enough business to pay for it year after year.  SmugMug has a few nice extras like a randomized slide show on my opening page and it has a search, so users can search my images based on keyword, so it makes a good ‘stock’ site from which I’ve made a number of sales. Portfolio seems to be more of a portfolio site as it lacks the search feature.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 06:58:40 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 12:56:11 am »

I have had a adobe portfolio website for about 6 months I suppose. It was easy to set up, fairly intuitive, and responsive. To give context I know nothing about coding or website development. I did manage my own Wordpress website and to be honest I found it resinous in the extreme. I am a busy commercial photographer and do everything myself and have no time to fiddle and play with a website. If you want to loom at it www:martinkristiansen.photography.

Having said that I have a few reservations that may or may not affect you personally.
1 No blogging facility. I want to use this to keep contact with clients and as a way of generating regular new content
2 Google seems to take forever to index these sites and SEO is rudimentary at best
3 I wasn’t able to find exactly the template I wanted. I think I did a fair job eventually but I think something like Wix might be better.

I have registered with Wix and as soon as I have the time I am going to migrate to that platform and see how it goes. I am planning on taking a paid option and use it as my primary destination for online marketing efforts. I have tried FB and other social media but end up with endless enquiries for weird stuff like graduation photos and family portraits which is not at all what I do for a living.

In summary. I think Portfolio is pretty good but if you make a full time living out of photography and are looking for a website to grow or promote your business Portfolio may not be enough.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Sebastrue

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:39:49 am »

I've been earning money from my photos for 6 years and opened my own website with a forum to develop my profession and attract clients. I think this is the best way to attract customers. You simultaneously promote your services and provide examples of your work. When creating my site, I encountered a lot of problems with hosting services until I switched to Crucial hosting. This is one of the most expensive hosting services and at first I used Crucial hosting promo codes to save money and invested the saved money in promoting my services. Thanks to my website, I now earn a lot of money and I have a large team of professional photographers who work for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up